Amtrack....Service/Therapy Dogs

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Anyone taken their Hearing/Therapy dog on Amtrack?.....When I goggled tripadvisor.com....this was the answer I got, regarding taking my dog with me on the train......

This answer to a somewhat similar query from a therapy dog "expert" may help you- it seems AMTRAK is quite strict that you must meet stringint regulations- you might want to contact them in advance to be sure you will be allowed:

Can I take my therapy dog on board the amtrak train?

Hi everyone,

I have a very small ESA therapy dog, and a typed and signed medical note from my doctor stating that my dog is a ESA and is reccomended to go on board my cross country trip from LA to NY. (I cant fly, thus the train). She has a pet passport, and all her vaccinations ect.

But will the Amtrak deny my dog because its not a "service animal" persay?

In order to have and use a service dog, two qualifications must be met:

1. one must meet the legal definition of "disabled" as set forth by the US Department Of Justice under the Americans With Disabilities Act,

AND

2. the dog must be task or work trained to directly mitigate the life-limiting effects of the handlers disability.

No legal disability= no service dog. No trained mitigating tasks= no service dog. A simple "doctors note" is not legal qualification of a disability. A trained task must be something that the handler cannot do of and for themselves.

While the handler of an ESA does have certain rights to live in "no pet" housing (FHA law) and to travel with their pet (yes, pet....an ESA is still legally considered a pet) in the cabin of a common air carrier (ACAA), an ESA is treated the same as a pet in all other situations and circumstances. So, no, you cannot take an ESA on Amtrak, no matter how many doctors notes, pet passports or vaccination records you have. It is still just a pet and all normal pet laws apply.

Anyone taken their Hearing/Therapy dog on Amtrack?.....When I goggled tripadvisor.com....this was the answer I got, regarding taking my dog with me on the train......

This answer to a somewhat similar query from a therapy dog "expert" may help you- it seems AMTRAK is quite strict that you must meet stringint regulations- you might want to contact them in advance to be sure you will be allowed:

Can I take my therapy dog on board the amtrak train?

Hi everyone,

I have a very small ESA therapy dog, and a typed and signed medical note from my doctor stating that my dog is a ESA and is reccomended to go on board my cross country trip from LA to NY. (I cant fly, thus the train). She has a pet passport, and all her vaccinations ect.

But will the Amtrak deny my dog because its not a "service animal" persay?

In order to have and use a service dog, two qualifications must be met:

1. one must meet the legal definition of "disabled" as set forth by the US Department Of Justice under the Americans With Disabilities Act,

AND

2. the dog must be task or work trained to directly mitigate the life-limiting effects of the handlers disability.

No legal disability= no service dog. No trained mitigating tasks= no service dog. A simple "doctors note" is not legal qualification of a disability. A trained task must be something that the handler cannot do of and for themselves.

While the handler of an ESA does have certain rights to live in "no pet" housing (FHA law) and to travel with their pet (yes, pet....an ESA is still legally considered a pet) in the cabin of a common air carrier (ACAA), an ESA is treated the same as a pet in all other situations and circumstances. So, no, you cannot take an ESA on Amtrak, no matter how many doctors notes, pet passports or vaccination records you have. It is still just a pet and all normal pet laws apply.

no they wont you need to call them ahead of time and call 1-800-amtrak and tell them you have a helping dog what its does and that if they need a doctors note you get one and that you are disable etc.

Back