America's Poorest Cities Are….

Not surprised about some of them....Milwaukee is hyper-segregated

Ones that surprised me were: Boston, Fort Worth, Austin and San Diego,

I was surprised about San Diego too.

Not surprised about some of them....Milwaukee is hyper-segregated

Ones that surprised me were: Boston, Fort Worth, Austin and San Diego,

My biggest disapoinment with milwauke when visiting was finding out shotz brewer wasnt real....
Damn
Boston is a suprise. And buffalo not being on the list...weird...had allot of fun times in queen city...

Schlitz was....and Pabst....nolw we have some microbreweries that are very popular.

Some years ago when my aunt and uncle visited us here for the first time, we took a tour of what was then the Miller brewing complex, including the original little teeny building on the narrow, curvy street that I guess started it all. My uncle likes to try different beers.
i don't drink but it was fun to go on the tour with them. we always passed by the complex on my way to high school.

Schlitz was....and Pabst....nolw we have some microbreweries that are very popular.

Some years ago when my aunt and uncle visited us here for the first time, we took a tour of what was then the Miller brewing complex, including the original little teeny building on the narrow, curvy street that I guess started it all. My uncle likes to try different beers.
i don't drink but it was fun to go on the tour with them. we always passed by the complex on my way to high school.

Schlitz was,but shotz wasnt."-)
Shotz was the brewer from lavern and sherly...cough..
Its just a strange thing that i know that.....
But i do...eheh

:lol:

i did watch that show sometimes. Makes me think of that show Happy Days.
when we were in Canada at a small, run-down hotel, the clerk asked us if Milwaukee was like Happy Days.

:lol:

i did watch that show sometimes. Makes me think of that show Happy Days.
when we were in Canada at a small, run-down hotel, the clerk asked us if Milwaukee was like Happy Days.

Ha. Funny..
Lavern and sherly were first introduced on happy days...fonzies.friends...
And happy days had the young mr. Miyagi. (Pat morita).. As the cook.....
Thus i tie it all in with my love..karate...
"-)

San Francisco a "poor city"? Since when?

If the recent gentrification (especially in the Mission District) is any indication San Francisco is on the fast track to being a RICH city pushing out the long time residents who have lived there for years, decades and are not exactly on the rich tier.

Most of them surprised me. Including Seattle- plopped in a state where the cost of living is much higher than income in many cities. (I still want to live there though lol).

San Francisco a "poor city"? Since when?

If the recent gentrification (especially in the Mission District) is any indication San Francisco is on the fast track to being a RICH city pushing out the long time residents who have lived there for years, decades and are not exactly on the rich tier.

Most of them surprised me. Including Seattle- plopped in a state where the cost of living is much higher than income in many cities. (I still want to live there though lol).

Mission street is bieng gentrified?
Wow..
Last time i was in san fran was mid 90s...
Seattle is a good town...san fran is way more fun though...
Damn
I miss america.

Mission street is bieng gentrified?
Wow..
Last time i was in san fran was mid 90s...
Seattle is a good town...san fran is way more fun though...
Damn
I miss america.
Yup. It started happening in about the last 2-3 years now. Google employees (along with their "tech buses" and upscale shops etc) are moving in in droves. I have a Latin@ friend who has lived there for decades and is watching it change so rapidly. He's documenting it in photographic format- as are a few others in various means. A lot of the Latin@s/Asians/lower income whites/blacks are being displaced/evicted.

It actually makes sense to me - where everyone wants to live, like LA, SF, SD, Boston etc and the majority of those pple is a middle or lower class without univ degrees or at least well sought after occupation - then most likely than not they are apt to end up with low paid jobs. this, in turn, makes for statistics.

Fuzzy

http://www.cbsnews.com/media/top-10-priciest-us-cities-to-rent-an-apartment/9/

Boston is one of the cities with the highest rent so there has to be a lot homeless people there . They use to sleep in the Goodwill collection boxes in bad weather . There a was opening wide enough for person to climb into.
Goodwill got rid of those boxes and had new ones made that had a smaller opening ,some people were upset that the homeless people could no longer use the boxes to stay dry and warm.

It actually makes sense to me - where everyone wants to live, like LA, SF, SD, Boston etc and the majority of those pple is a middle or lower class without univ degrees or at least well sought after occupation - then most likely than not they are apt to end up with low paid jobs. this, in turn, makes for statistics.

Fuzzy
True but I suspect in a few years that view will change with all the techies with degrees moving into SF and Seattle at least.

I'm not surprised that few Texas cities ranked within the range of poorest city, is it due the fact that there are many Hispanic immigrant? (Ok let not talk about Trump.....)

I looked at the America's richest cities and several of the cities listed here are also on that list. Strange. Baltimore made on both.

I'm not surprised that few Texas cities ranked within the range of poorest city, is it due the fact that there are many Hispanic immigrant? (Ok let not talk about Trump.....)

I don't think this a race issue , we had a poor section in my town and only White people there. My dad didn't want me going there b/c it was too tough .

I think the study really don't focus on multiculturalism communities. Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are filled with multicultural communities like Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistan and Middle Easterns. I think that is one of the reasons these cities draw them is because of the big headquarters like TI, Raytheon, and others and foreign restaurants. In the culture, families live together and share a 1960s/70s/80s home. To them, it is not poor. They focus on relying on each other.

Fresno is the armpit of California. Bleh. I can't stand pollen there. Fresno used to be a boom town and was famous for producing many things. Sadly, I read somewhere they cut it down to 6%. Fresno is a dull town. Just close your eyes and ignore Fresno on the way to the mountain. The crime sucks there,too. Do not leave your valuable things in your car. It doesn't matter if your car is old. My brother and his wife used to live there and had enough of problems. So, they moved back to Washington state.

San Diego is on the list? I have to say it's accurate. I grew up there. The Leo Carrilo ranch is gone. Stupid developers. I remember San Diego used to be full of orange trees, avocadoes and farms. And everything was cheap at the time. They're all gone now. Many Tech companies and firms moved to Texas for tax reasons. Plus the water bill is so high. Horribly high. If you share the area like Rancho Santa Fe and you want to conserve water, then that's great, but other residents in Rancho Santa Fe refuse to conserve water and keep watering their yards mean you are forced to pay fine for them. It hurts your pocket. What a joke. Residents do live together in one bedroom apartments in La Mesa, El Cajon, and other cities in San Diego areas. That's a fact. There are many vacancy condos in tall buildings in downtown. Who want to pay several thousands dollars to live in a tall building with awesome ocean view? There are foreclosure houses along a coast.

Seattle? If they focus on Seattle only, there are gang problems and street girls there, which is sad. I've been visiting there occasionally. Don't forget it is famous for musicians like Kurt Cobain. Young people run like wild all over Seattle areas. If you drive to Tacoma and small cites outside of Seattle like that, there are plenty of rednecks there.

Washington DC is very expensive. I know a lobbyist makes $500,000 lives in a ugly and old house with toilet issues. He needs an interior designer so bad. Been bugging him for years. Oh, well. My stepbrother in law lived in DC with his wife for Georgetown graduate school. They had a unexpected baby. They lived in one bedroom condo. His wife is an interior designer and had to turn a dining room into a nursery room. She was able to pull it off. She had to give up a dining table and other things and put them away in a storage.

It's relative.. *shrugs*

think everyone in the west world go to any city find both wealth and poverty next door to each other

Back