Americans still texting while driving despite bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you have a source to back that statement? btw - you have not answered my question.

I don't need a source. You can see proof of that everyday IRL.

I don't need a source. You can see proof of that everyday IRL.

I'm afraid I don't. How do you know they're idiots with extensive driver education? How many people is that? How many of them have extensive driver education? Where is this? Do you have data somewhere on your desk?

Again - you have not answered couple of my questions. I'll repost -

1. will the laws guarantee how someone will behave behind the wheel?

2. do you prefer having more idiots with poor driver education on the road and keep arresting them? a cycle that never ends except statistic keeps rising? Is that what you want? Keep making more laws and arresting more of them while more victims are dying?

because of GPS - we traveled further than before... to go where no man & woman has gone before.

If no man or woman had ever gone there before, GPS isn't going to do you much good.:giggle:

If no man or woman had ever gone there before, GPS isn't going to do you much good.:giggle:

:lol: certainly not to ocean or sky! or even worse - to the cliff!

I'm afraid I don't. How do you know they're idiots with extensive driver education?

I can ask you the same thing. How do you know what kind of driver's education they've received?

do you have a source to back that statement? btw - you have not answered my question.

Jiro,

I've been a pedestrian for over 30 years. I can give you a myriad of examples of the idiot drivers I've encountered. :giggle:

I'm afraid I don't. How do you know they're idiots with extensive driver education? How many people is that? How many of them have extensive driver education? Where is this? Do you have data somewhere on your desk?

Again - you have not answered couple of my questions. I'll repost -

1. will the laws guarantee how someone will behave behind the wheel?

2. do you prefer having more idiots with poor driver education on the road and keep arresting them? a cycle that never ends except statistic keeps rising? Is that what you want? Keep making more laws and arresting more of them while more victims are dying?

Why do you keep looking for non-existent guarantees? There are no guarantees in this life, anywhere. However, there are things that raise the odds of other things not happening.

Are you suggesting that they wouldn't have maimed or killed someone without the law?

I am suggesting that the law doesn't change what people do. The only change is when people decide to change themselves. Law does not change people. It only provide guidelines that most people decide to follow. Notice I said most, not all.

Why do you keep looking for non-existent guarantees? There are no guarantees in this life, anywhere. However, there are things that raise the odds of other things not happening.

By your reasoning then laws does not solve problems. Law doesn't provide guarantees also.

I can ask you the same thing. How do you know what kind of driver's education they've received?

didn't you read what I said before? See my post #162. Here's my proof. and another proof.

So where's your proof? and the answers to my 2 simple questions? it's time that you answer me since I'm being a gentleman by answering your question - which was what you answered my question with a question.

I am suggesting that the law doesn't change what people do. The only change is when people decide to change themselves. Law does not change people. It only provide guidelines that most people decide to follow. Notice I said most, not all.

By your reasoning then laws does not solve problems. Law doesn't provide guarantees also.

Laws do, however, reduce the probability that the majority of the public will engage in specific behaviors. So laws reduce problems.

And those who decide not to follow the laws must also accept the consequences of their actions. Without laws, there are no consequences.

:hmm: According to Keith Wann, "Deaf drive with their knees so they can sign" so I guess Deaf texting is as safe as their driving :giggle:

That was meant to be funny, not insulting, BTW

:hmm: According to Keith Wann, "Deaf drive with their knees so they can sign" so I guess Deaf texting is as safe as their driving :giggle:

That was meant to be funny, not insulting, BTW

Good one!:laugh2:

You might want to tell that to Hear Again about guarantee since I'm copying her exact word from her posts. see below -

I find it interesting how you can predict what drivers will and won't do behind the wheel of a car. None of us knows how anyone will behave when driving. Someone can receive all the driver's ed. training in the world yet that will never guarantee that they will be a safe and responsible driver.

Training doesn't determine how a person will act behind the wheel of a car nor does it guarantee that they will act responsibly.

As for doctors, your point is irrelevant. Training has nothing to do with the competency of a doctor. It all comes down to how they apply their training.

I would rather have a doctor with less experience who has a full understanding of the training he received as well as an excellent bedside manner instead of a doctor with 20+ years of experience who views all of his patients as "textbook cases" instead of individuals and whose only interest is getting them in and out the door ASAP.

Jiro,

What you fail to recognize is the fact that training does not guarantee how someone will behave behind the wheel of a car. You can't force people to act a certain way unless they want to. The way we get around that is by creating laws to protect the safety of those who act responsibly.

Laws do, however, reduce the probability that the majority of the public will engage in specific behaviors. So laws reduce problems.

However the point that others were trying to make is that the laws would solve problems! My point is, it won't unless people decide to do what they should have done in first place, laws or no laws.

Therefore your point is moot.

You might want to tell that to Hear Again about guarantee since I'm copying her exact word from her posts. see below -

What is your point? She used the word "not" in front of guarantee. That means it isn't guaranteed. You however, seem to be looking for some sort of guarantee that something will be 100% effective before you decide it is worthwhile.

And those who decide not to follow the laws must also accept the consequences of their actions. Without laws, there are no consequences.

so along with the laws - would you say that comprehensive training would decrease the number of accidents as compared to current situation?

What is your point? She used the word "not" in front of guarantee. That means it isn't guaranteed. You however, seem to be looking for some sort of guarantee that something will be 100% effective before you decide it is worthwhile.

I'm sorry but you should re-read this thread. You are quite far from understanding my position in this issue. Nice try to put the words in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back