American Sign Language: learning

InnocentOdion

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm interested in learning a little American Sign online, for free.
It's an amazing looking language, but it does look really hard to read the fingerspelled alphabet, but I'm interested in learning at least some of the basics. I know how to count from 0-9 and the alphabet,and hello, but I want to learn some very very basic things, such as:

1. Greeting people (e.g., Hello! How are you?, My name is X, what is your name, excuse me!)
  2. Animals
  3. Colours
  4. Numbers 0-9, 10-20, 20-100
  5. What, why, when, how, where, because
  6. This, that, there
  7. Please, thank you, you're welcome, sorry
  8. My, mine

I'd preferably like to see it on video so I can copy it.

Anyone know of any websites?

Thanks! :)

InnocentOdion :ty::ty:

Hello,
I'm interested in learning a little American Sign online, for free.
It's an amazing looking language, but it does look really hard to read the fingerspelled alphabet, but I'm interested in learning at least some of the basics. I know how to count from 0-9 and the alphabet,and hello, but I want to learn some very very basic things, such as:

1. Greeting people (e.g., Hello! How are you?, My name is X, what is your name, excuse me!)
  2. Animals
  3. Colours
  4. Numbers 0-9, 10-20, 20-100
  5. What, why, when, how, where, because
  6. This, that, there
  7. Please, thank you, you're welcome, sorry
  8. My, mine

I'd preferably like to see it on video so I can copy it.

Anyone know of any websites?

Thanks! :)

InnocentOdion :ty::ty:
In case if you didn't know that ASL and BSL (British) are BIG different. So, you would need to learn BSL first, then later transfer to ASL. For instance, you don't live in America, and learn ASL first, and when you are communicating with deaf British people (in your hometown), and they would not understand you.

In case if you didn't know that ASL and BSL (British) are BIG different. So, you would need to learn BSL first, then later transfer to ASL. For instance, you don't live in America, and learn ASL first, and when you are communicating with deaf British people (in your hometown), and they would not understand you.

Wow!!!! you are right on the nose about the difference from British sign Language (BSL) and American sign language (ASL). That is very true. :bowdown: InnocentOdion, You need to meet deaf people in your area where you live. If you are really interest in ASL from North America. Like Authentic said that is where you will have to do the BSL first and then you can learn how to use ASL if you want, unless you are thinking of moving to North America, eh? Or you are just curious about the ASL, is that it? :wave:

I'm both curious about ASL and considering moving to America. I'm currently learning BSL, and I have an exam in it in 2 weeks. I'm aware of the differences because I bought an ASL baby sign language book by mistake before. :D Nevertheless, it looks like an awesome language.

Thanks for the websites! :ty:

Lifeprint is great. And if you want to learn without having to be online for the website you can order a cd with all the content on it for $10 ( what is that like 3-4 quid nowadays). I actually bought the disc and then transfered it to a usb thumb drive so that it's easier to carry around.

What makes you consider coming across the pond?

Thanks!
I'll consider it when I lose the net for a while (I'm moving to a house with my preggers wife and kid soon) so I might get it.

The reasons why I'd like to hop over to the other side of the pond are basically, better life, I have family there, and basically there's nothing for me here; plus it's not the kind of place I'd want to bring up my kids. :D When I've been to America, I've always enjoyed it there, and I can almost see myself living there (if I could picture things in my mind that is) -- somewhere semi-urban preferably :D).

You definately want to avoid the big cities then. If London is the most busy place your used to the places like miami, new york, chicago, los angeles, etc. will all seem overwhelming at first. My personal opinion is to avoid california all together simply based off of how strict alot of thier laws are compared to other states in the U.S.

What's wrong with raising kids in a rainy/foggy/wet island????? Weather aside I loved the 4 years I spent in England. There is nothing that we have over hear that compares to the history that England has. Considering that we have states that are bigger than England, Scotland, whales, and Ireland combined and I can see why you would have better opportunities over here. Be prepared for the unavoidable "Are you from australia or england?" Question that your accent will be a magnet for :)

Good luck

I don't live in London, I live in a rather small city of about 260,000 people. I don't like big crowds of people. My brother lives in Wisconsin, and I'd love to live somewhere like that. He lives in like, the pretty rural parts I think. I loved it in Wisconsin, but when I went there at the time I was a moody little teenager with spots and really long hair. :D

Nobody would have a clue where I'm from with my accent, cuz the way ohh tork ya wuddunt av a cloo worrom on abaa ya know? So if ohh wuz like there od av ta change ih or else no-buddy wud av a cloo. :D I have a very thick accent but I can lose it quite easily if need be. Only part that remains is I say "Om" for "I am ", and I also say "You'm (you am)" even when I lose my dodgy pronunciation. :D

Somewhere nice like Wisconsin sounds nice to me. Now to get a greencard plus entry. Heeehee. :)

Forgot to add, reason I don't want to live in England or the UK is because it's basically a police state. Dodgy laws, legalism, you're looked down on if you're a Christian, the police are horrible, and people seem to go around stabbing each other a lot more nowadays. I fear for my daughter and wife, you understand? I would like to move to Wales if it wasn't connected to the UK, since I'm of Welsh descent--I need to learn some more Welsh though even though it's not needed. I can't get by on "Beth ydy dy enw di? (what's your name?)" and things like that.

Back