American and English/Aussie words

Buffalo

Reaction score
I know that Brits call their jacket "jumper" but in America, jumper is a girl dress that fit over a top. What do the Brits call that type of dress? Pinafore? or frock?

Never say "I will knock you up" to an American woman. It means "I will get you pregnant". Perhaps a post-menopause American woman would say "I would love to see how can you do that to me". I know "knock you up" in England means knock on the door in the morning to wake up someone.

You are welcome to put in any words or slangs with explanations in this thread - American or English/Aussie.

English Expressions

Spend a penny= urinate

Pissed=Drunk

Lorry=Truck

Trainers- Tennis shoes

Crisps= Potato chips

Chips= French fries

I know that Brits call their jacket "jumper" but in America, jumper is a girl dress that fit over a top. What do the Brits call that type of dress? Pinafore? or frock?

Never say "I will knock you up" to an American woman. It means "I will get you pregnant". Perhaps a post-menopause American woman would say "I would love to see how can you do that to me". I know "knock you up" in England means knock on the door in the morning to wake up someone.

You are welcome to put in any words or slangs with explanations in this thread - American or English/Aussie.

If you are refering to jacket with opening at front we still call that Jacket,
We call Jumper as in pull over the head (either crew neck, v neck, 1/2 zip up)
Dress is dress, or Pinafore if they have dungrees type opening at shoulders. Frock is old saying - my 80 year old grandma still call dress - frocks.

Never heard of Knock you up as in waking up but as in wanting to have sex :eek3:! -we say "will knock on the door to wake you up".

Trousers = pants
Aubiges (sp) = egg plant
Courgettes or cucumber (can't remember which) = Zuccuhi

It's weird that English and Americans have different names for things when we both speak the same language just in a different country

Aubiges (sp) = egg plant

Aubergines :D it's french word

Right now my mind is not focused onto any english words (or american words)... I always used the first one popping into my head to a point I no longer know whether they are british or american usage :giggle:

Windscreen = windshield
Water closet = rest room

Mum = mom
Car park = parking lot
Chips = french fries
Crisps = potato chips
Dumb = mute; U.S. dumb usually means "stupid" rather than "mute," which is a secondary meaning in U.S. usage
Flat = apartment
Hold up = traffic jam
Saloon = "sedan" car (automobile); US saloon = western-style bar
Zebra crossing = crosswalk

Windscreen = windshield
Water closet = rest room

I heard that the Brits use the word "loo" when they mean bathroom. I had to laugh as "loo" is a dutch word meaning woods as having to go to the woods for you know what. Do they still use the word "loo"?

If you are refering to jacket with opening at front we still call that Jacket,
We call Jumper as in pull over the head (either crew neck, v neck, 1/2 zip up)

I am confused. I heard the word "jumper" on one of those Harry Potter movies and it was about Ginny's jacket. That is why I assume that the Brits still call them jumper instead of jacket.

I am confused. I heard the word "jumper" on one of those Harry Potter movies and it was about Ginny's jacket. That is why I assume that the Brits still call them jumper instead of jacket.

Jumper= Sweater

New Zealand words/American and English words

Paua - Abalone
Kumara - Sweet Potato/Yam
Caravan - trailer, mobile home
Cotton buds - Q-tips
Dummy - pacifier
Fizzy drink - soda pop
Gawk - stare
Jandal - thongs, flip-flops
Lolly - candy
Nappy - diaper
Petrol - gasoline
Pissed-off - angry
Postal code - zip code
Tea - dinner

I cannot think of anymore to add to the list.

Year/Grade
Primary/Elementary
Secondary/High School
Pavement/sidewalk

Back