AMD Turion 64 x2 vs Intel Core 2 duo processor

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to buy a new 13.3" or 14.1" laptop for travel business this year but I confuse which one to go for Intel core 2 duo or AMD turion x2. Which one is better? I dislike almost notebook w/ Vista version but I will install download Windows 7 beta or XP Pro updated in new notebook. I m still worried that XP would stop processing on April 14. Need help me.

I'm recommended with Intel Core 2 Duo because of low heat, better battery life and more faster than AMD Turion 64, especially on multitasking.

Win XP will on extended support after April 14 and until 2014.

I'm recommended with Intel Core 2 Duo because of low heat, better battery life and more faster than AMD Turion 64, especially on multitasking.

Win XP will on extended support after April 14 and until 2014.

Thank you for explaining. I know that Intel Core 2 Duo is better than AMD Turion 64 but AMD Turion 64 notebook price is cheaper than Inten core 2 Duo notebook. I really like Intel Core 2 Duo. I m still looking for cheap new notebook in Ebay. Do you think that 64-bit is better than 32-bit for installing Windows 7?

Thank you for explaining. I know that Intel Core 2 Duo is better than AMD Turion 64 but AMD Turion 64 notebook price is cheaper than Inten core 2 Duo notebook. I really like Intel Core 2 Duo. I m still looking for cheap new notebook in Ebay. Do you think that 64-bit is better than 32-bit for installing Windows 7?

Yes, 64 bit is better. But who knows some softwares MAY not be compatible with 64 bit system. Some Software makers are still running behind on 64bit version. I believe right now they should already have 64 bit now. I am not sure if you can always re-install Windows 7 back to 32bit :shrug:

As for AMD Turion x2 and Intel Core Duo.. I personally prefer Core Duo. I have AMD Turion laptop and it runs good but not fast. I have no idea if Turion x2 improved its performance. My laptop can be upgraded to Turion x2. But I don't want to bother with it.

Heat issue on AMD, yes it is true that it tend to run a little hotter than Intel. And AMD can drain battery faster than Intel. So it's a smart move to buy Intel processor laptop.

Catty

Yup, like purplecatty said, 64 bit is better than 32 bit but you will ok with many software compatibility and more PC on markets are getting Vista 64 bit preinstalled, 64 bit can use all of RAM but 32 bit is limited to 3 GB to 4 GB.

If you want cheaper and do normal basis then AMD would be ok for you.

Yup, like purplecatty said, 64 bit is better than 32 bit but you will ok with many software compatibility and more PC on markets are getting Vista 64 bit preinstalled, 64 bit can use all of RAM but 32 bit is limited to 3 GB to 4 GB.

If you want cheaper and do normal basis then AMD would be ok for you.

How about VIA processor (hee hee) They're cheaper than AMD and Intel. j/k

Via processor is sucky. Friend of mine have mobo with built in 800mhz VIA processor, It had been crashing on him every now and then. Finally, his system stopped working when he upgraded memory. I told him get a new one! (that was 4 years ago!!)

VIA Processors - VIA Technologies, Inc.

VIA mobile processor : http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/c7-m/

You could find one in Walmart , CompUSA and few stores. It's always a netbooks. Some biz buys them cuz they're cheap and battery last longer than Intel and AMD. It's processor runs cooler too.

Catty

How about VIA processor (hee hee) They're cheaper than AMD and Intel. j/k

Via processor is sucky. Friend of mine have mobo with built in 800mhz VIA processor, It had been crashing on him every now and then. Finally, his system stopped working when he upgraded memory. I told him get a new one! (that was 4 years ago!!)

VIA Processors - VIA Technologies, Inc.

VIA mobile processor : VIA C7®-M Processors - VIA Technologies, Inc.

You could find one in Walmart , CompUSA and few stores. It's always a netbooks. Some biz buys them cuz they're cheap and battery last longer than Intel and AMD. It's processor runs cooler too.

Catty

lol, worst processor but good for basic and daily computer.

I already ordered ASUS N50 notebook from newegg and should be delivery by this week.

I already ordered ASUS N50 notebook from newegg and should be delivery by this week.

Don't ya have a Macbook? You're going back to being a PC user? :)

Yup, I still have MacBook but will sell in later.

Of course, I'm more PC than Mac. :aw:

Ahhh, that's all good. I can't blame you for your decision. :) I'm happy with a Mac anyway. :lol:

Order Intel Core 2 duo? Blu-ray drive or DVD drive?

c2d any day, dont worry about blueray, its waste of time unless you wanna watch blue rays dvd, and as long as you KNOW its NOT gonna be downn-sampled before leaving the comp or laptop to the big screen as A PLAIN OR CRIPPLED HD signals, then but all means go for bluerays, but IMHO , fuck it bluerays is too early now and a waste of time

Ahhh, that's all good. I can't blame you for your decision. :) I'm happy with a Mac anyway. :lol:

Oh really? I feel like shame for pick a wrong thing but it's worth to try on Mac, I haven't used Mac for very long time.

If I'm not PC gamer then would be different story, I'm focus on PC games so more than consoles.

My MBP won't run GTA IV due lacks of VRAM, I feel like worthless to pick with 128 MB since game require 256 MB or over, that's ruin of my enjoy for thanksgivings and decided to took Xbox 360 with me, also GeForce 8600m GT is defective as well.

I just ordered new HDD with 320 GB and 7200 RPM also for my new notebook.

HDD with 5400 RPM is too slow and seems useless.

I just ordered new HDD with 320 GB and 7200 RPM also for my new notebook.

HDD with 5400 RPM is too slow and seems useless.

Depends on the cache size....if a 5400 rpm has a bigger cache than a 7200 rpm, then it could be faster...all depends on the internal hardware.

Depends on the cache size....if a 5400 rpm has a bigger cache than a 7200 rpm, then it could be faster...all depends on the internal hardware.

Yup, my HDD in MBP is 8 MB cache and new HDD with 7200 RPM is 16 MB cache.

HDD with 5400 RPM is useful for daily computer.

Back