Ambigiously gay TV charectors?

deafdyke

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards a source where I can find a listing of TV charecters who *might* have been gay? The only ones I can think of, are Bert and Ernie! I'd also love it if someone could maybe help me find more sources for my paper on GLB media studies.

How about Mork from Mork & Mindy. Everyone assumes he's gay cuz of those rainbow suspenders he wore. I think it's bullshit though.

robin williams is not gay! he ACTS one tho! ....

uhhhhhh i know theres a thread here somewhere in the rainbow section that has all the celeberties gays and lesbains.... and its characters tv characters that i know of are.......

the tv show will and grace two guys are are gays

and umm one other show im trying to friggin remmy......

two and a half dads something like that that has jason bateman and this other dude playing a gay couple raising a daughter.

Well, there was all that brouhaha about the purple Teletubbie not too long ago. Batman and Robin were gay too, of course, but they couldn’t be very open about it in the late 60’s. And there’s absolutely no question that Gilligan, the Skipper, and the Professor were all gay. I mean c’mon—Mary Ann was insufferably cute and Ginger was downright hot—and those guys acted as if they didn’t even exist. And then there’s Corporal Max Klinger. Uhhh…let’s not go there. Now that you mention it, I’ve always had my doubts about Steve Urkel too. Hmmm…now you got me thinking…I could sit here all night running the last 40 years of television through my mind trying to pick out the closeted and not so closeted characters who have graced the airwaves.

http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/tv-char2000s

Here is a good list of Gay and Lesbian TV Characters.
The first one that I can remember watching TV was in Melrose Place, where Doug Savant acted as a gay guy. I remember liking him. Heh heh...

Then I remember other shows like "Ellen", "Roseanne" (where Sandra Bernhardt acted as a lesbian woman, and there was a gay couple, one guy who was the boss of Roseanne where she worked at a diner), Friends (The mother of Ross' son Ben is lesbian and married to a woman), Queer As Folks, etc...

Anyway check this list out. It's cool.

:edit: I just checked this out and remembered the TV show "My So-Called Life." I used to watch that all the time. And I absolutely love watching "Absolutely Fabulous" which always make me laugh so hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
javapride said:
robin williams is not gay! he ACTS one tho! ....

uhhhhhh i know theres a thread here somewhere in the rainbow section that has all the celeberties gays and lesbains.... and its characters tv characters that i know of are.......

the tv show will and grace two guys are are gays

and umm one other show im trying to friggin remmy......

two and a half dads something like that that has jason bateman and this other dude playing a gay couple raising a daughter.
Actually, some deaf GLBT here think that Mork is a gay alien because of the rainbow suspenders. Remember, rainbow is GLBT colors. That's why I refuse to wear rainbow clothing.

Well I wore rainbow suspenders bec I was :crazy: about Monk! anyway, how about THE SOAP the series?? There is gay character, too.

Levonian said:
Well, there was all that brouhaha about the purple Teletubbie not too long ago. Batman and Robin were gay too, of course, but they couldn’t be very open about it in the late 60’s. And there’s absolutely no question that Gilligan, the Skipper, and the Professor were all gay. I mean c’mon—Mary Ann was insufferably cute and Ginger was downright hot—and those guys acted as if they didn’t even exist. And then there’s Corporal Max Klinger. Uhhh…let’s not go there. Now that you mention it, I’ve always had my doubts about Steve Urkel too. Hmmm…now you got me thinking…I could sit here all night running the last 40 years of television through my mind trying to pick out the closeted and not so closeted characters who have graced the airwaves.

Well when you think of Steve Urkle, he was facinated with Laura, remember? He wanted to always be with her, he was just too geeky. And if yoy recall, he had an "alternate ego" (if I can call it that) of what he REALLY looked like, a tall handsom black man who Laura really really liked :)

Well, I was tracking down the source of this insidious rumor that Bert and Ernie are gay, and I stumbled across something that’s actually very much along the lines of what you described:

http://www.alternatechannels.org/us/trends/but_they_sure_seem__0.htm

I was astounded to find out that many parents forbade their children from watching Batman in the 60’s. I mean, we all knew that Batman and Robin were gay, of course. After all, their names were Bruce and Dick, they ran around in public in their underwear, and they lived in a cave with an old man named Alfred—‘nuff said. But since they never really went so far as to officially come out of the Bat Closet, I personally never saw them as being anything other than two All-American guys who provided good, wholesome children’s entertainment. But what the fuck did I know—I was barely old enough to pee standing up when that show was on. But it seems that millions of American parents were sharp enough to spot the blatantly homoerogenistic (how’s that for a word) nature of the show and hastily divert little Johnny’s attention to his North Vietnamese killing G.I. Joe dolls, lest little Johnny started skipping to school and trying out for the cheerleading squad.

Levonian said:
Well, I was tracking down the source of this insidious rumor that Bert and Ernie are gay, and I stumbled across something that’s actually very much along the lines of what you described:

http://www.alternatechannels.org/us/trends/but_they_sure_seem__0.htm

I was astounded to find out that many parents forbade their children from watching Batman in the 60’s. I mean, we all knew that Batman and Robin were gay, of course. After all, their names were Bruce and Dick, they ran around in public in their underwear, and they lived in a cave with an old man named Alfred—‘nuff said. But since they never really went so far as to officially come out of the Bat Closet, I personally never saw them as being anything other than two All-American guys who provided good, wholesome children’s entertainment. But what the fuck did I know—I was barely old enough to pee standing up when that show was on. But it seems that millions of American parents were sharp enough to spot the blatantly homoerogenistic (how’s that for a word) nature of the show and hastily divert little Johnny’s attention to his North Vietnamese killing G.I. Joe dolls, lest little Johnny started skipping to school and trying out for the cheerleading squad.
I noticed that a lot of things were considered "gay" because of how they looked in the old shows.

If you watch some of the old shows, you'll notice that a lot of characters act "extra-happy". Gee, I wonder why? Oh yeah! They're gay! That's the assumption many people had on these old shows. I think they're being stupid for making that kind of assumption. That's just the way these shows were made. If you watch Austin Powers, you'll notice how "extra-happy" Austin acted. That's because they're mocking the 1950s. Heh!

"Queer as Folks" is my favourite show and it covers issues that the GLBT community goes through daily as individuals, lovers, friends and companions.

Levoian...thank you for that link! It's almost exactly what I needed...I do wish that there'd been more articles on that sight thou!!!!! Hopefully I'll be able to finish the paper tonight so I can turn it in tomorrow!

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too—it’s almost exactly what you described, but unfortunately it wasn’t nearly exhaustive enough. This paper sounds like an interesting read—is it a serious exposition of the topic, or is it intended to be more tongue-in-cheek? It’s hard to imagine that a person could write a paper on the subject of "TV characters who might be gay" without injecting at least a little bit of gay stereotype humor into it, so I’m guessing that it’s not entirely serious. :)

The American version of Sesame Street, Bert and Ernie sleep in the same bed, but in Canada, they don't.

Banjo said:
The American version of Sesame Street, Bert and Ernie sleep in the same bed, but in Canada, they don't.

Ahem.. I REMEMBER watching them when I have chance.. I DO Remember they have their own bed!!!!! *whimper*

Wendy

WBHarley said:
Ahem.. I REMEMBER watching them when I have chance.. I DO Remember they have their own bed!!!!! *whimper*

Wendy

You are Correct they do have their own bed.. My Kids watch That show Everyday and I do not see them sharing a bed together. :P

Just to set the record straight, let it be noted here that Bert and Ernie are not now, nor have they ever been, gay. In a 1993 press release, the Children's Television Workshop issued the following statement concerning Bert and Ernie’s sexual proclivities:

"Bert and Ernie, who've been on Sesame Street for 25 years, do not portray a gay couple, and there are no plans for them to do so in the future. They are puppets, not humans. Like all the Muppets created for Sesame Street, they were designed to help educate preschoolers. Bert and Ernie are characters who help demonstrate to children that despite their differences, they can be good friends."

So that should settle it for everybody. Bert and Ernie are as wholesome as Mom and apple pie. But I’ve always had my suspicions about that Mr. Rogers guy… :P

Mr. Rogers was gay?? What about Captain Kangroo? heh! lol!
nahh i dont think they were....i could be wrong though...

Defee said:
Mr. Rogers was gay?? What about Captain Kangroo? heh! lol!
nahh i dont think they were....i could be wrong though...

Dammit, you’re right! I didn’t even think about that fat orange-haired mop-topped screamer! How could we have been so blind as to let our children watch a grown man in a sailor suit play with hand puppets for 50 years? I’ll bet he was the inspiration for the Village People guy! It’s a homo conspiracy, folks! We need to do something about this! If we don’t do something soon, we’ll have a nation of swishy, effeminate men who like to ogle over the Pottery Barn catalog and their wives will know how to fix the lawn mower! But what are we going to do? March on Washington? Send them all to the Moon? Armed insurrection? Ideas, people—we need ideas!

Back