Amazing Deaf film released online - 'Departure Lounge'

chjswinbourne

Reaction score
Hi all,

'Departure Lounge' is a celebration of the friendship and deaf solidarity that develops between Sid, an ailing older man and Matt, a young hospital cleaner, two deaf men at very different points in their life.

The film is half an hour long and was directed by Louis Neethling, starring Deaf actors David Sands, Hal Draper, Abi Gorman and Patsy Palmer.

You can see it in full here:

Drama > Departure Lounge > http://bslbt.co.uk/drama/departure_lounge/

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks

Charlie Swinbourne
(Writer)

Hi all,

'Departure Lounge' is a celebration of the friendship and deaf solidarity that develops between Sid, an ailing older man and Matt, a young hospital cleaner, two deaf men at very different points in their life.

The film is half an hour long and was directed by Louis Neethling, starring Deaf actors David Sands, Hal Draper, Abi Gorman and Patsy Palmer.

You can see it in full here:

Drama > Departure Lounge > http://bslbt.co.uk/drama/departure_lounge/

Hope you enjoy it!

Thanks

Charlie Swinbourne
(Writer)

I really enjoyed this film and seeing 2 deaf men bonded together.

i liked that! the captions helped, but it was a little hard to follow because i don't know british sign language. it was very moving, though! 2 thumbs up!

This was great, but I wanted to see more! I think this could be a full length movie.

The acting and writing was very well done. Nice job.

This is a wonderfully made film all around. Acted, directed, written... very well done and a good insight on deaf culture (for the hearing)... which reveals that life (and death) is the same.
The film's length is just right. Too long and I think some audiences would've been bored. Too short and folks will be left with "uhh ...? "
This would pave the way to longer films about the Deaf.

The BSL didn't bother me too much, it was fun to watch actually. Many of the signs I recognized because of the similarities... i.e. lying, stupid, love, baby, sick, heaven and so forth. The finger spelling whizzed right over my head but I've an Aussie friend who signs pretty much the same way with fingers on the palm to indicate which vowel between the consonants.

Just a great film.
Great find and thanks for posting that.

This is a wonderfully made film all around. Acted, directed, written... very well done and a good insight on deaf culture (for the hearing)... which reveals that life (and death) is the same.
The film's length is just right. Too long and I think some audiences would've been bored. Too short and folks will be left with "uhh ...? "
This would pave the way to longer films about the Deaf.

The BSL didn't bother me too much, it was fun to watch actually. Many of the signs I recognized because of the similarities... i.e. lying, stupid, love, baby, sick, heaven and so forth. The finger spelling whizzed right over my head but I've an Aussie friend who signs pretty much the same way with fingers on the palm to indicate which vowel between the consonants.

Just a great film.
Great find and thanks for posting that.
I am an deaf australian and the fingerpselling is the same as the BSL, but not the signs, SOME signs are recongised to be used internationally

:thumb: really good movie, made me sad but at least a good ending! Great job!

Some of the signs are incredibly obvious even though they aren't ASL.

TY for posting it.

Back