Amazing breakthrough from Australia - Closed Captioning introduced into Deaf schools!

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every year, over 500 babies born in Australia are deaf. This year, almost 10,000 children will have difficulty hearing what’s happening in class. In June 2009, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Dr Brendan Nelson announced a new plan to aid early detection of hearing loss.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-23U536ht0]YouTube - Ai-Live?[/ame]

85% of children have to go to mainstream school in Australia. Wow. I think that American children will be grown for mainstream school. Deaf schools will be less and closed down.

mainstreamed school is usually for auditory learners. It's really tough for visual learners. Closed captioning is one of the tool for visual learning people. Sign language, notes on boards, lipreading, etc. are all visually accessible.

Haven't heard of this in the news. Close captions in deaf schools? Huh, it should be implemented in ALL schools.

It is available in schools. Parents and students have to ask for it.

It is called CART in a school/work setting. A CART provider can attend school with the student and write everything on a stenography machine. The stenographer writes everything that happens in class. What the teacher says, what the other students say, anything that happens and causes a sound is indicated so the student doesn't miss out on anything.

It can be a challenge in lab classes, but it is doable.

If anyone thinks that this may help them and can not find a provider, contact me and I will get you in touch with the people who you need to speak with. If a provider is not in the area, it is possible to do have a remote provider. There are technical difficulties to overcome, but it is just a matter of proper set up.

The more people who demand this service, the more court reporters will offer this service. There are people waiting around for the opportunity to provide CART to a student. They just haven't found the student yet.

Please tell your friends about this service. It is out there. There are people (such as myself) who have dedicated themselves to the skills needed to provide this service. We just need to find the students who could benefit from this.

I do not have a link to post for CART writers in Australia. But if I see it is needed, I can find who to talk to through my professional contacts.

There is no reason a student should go without a service they need.

CART seems to be mostly used by oral deaf people. Why is it that parents of oral deaf kids chose oral only so their kids won't have to depend on a 'terp, but yet have no problems with oral 'terps, FM devices and C-Print? Aren't oral deaf people dependant on those things too?

CART seems to be mostly used by oral deaf people. Why is it that parents of oral deaf kids chose oral only so their kids won't have to depend on a 'terp, but yet have no problems with oral 'terps, FM devices and C-Print? Aren't oral deaf people dependant on those things too?

Because they want them to have access to the language of the majority and all those things provide access to english.

85% of children have to go to mainstream school in Australia. Wow. I think that American children will be grown for mainstream school. Deaf schools will be less and closed down.

There is only one school for the Deaf in existence in Australia and it is called Victoria College for the Deaf in Melbourne. My good friend gave me a tour guide there and it was very interesting.

There is only one school for the Deaf in existence in Australia and it is called Victoria College for the Deaf in Melbourne. My good friend gave me a tour guide there and it was very interesting.

Royale,
Actually, Victorian College for the Deaf is not the only one in Australia, however it is the oldest in Australia's existence and it's unique because a deaf man created this school.

Anyway, there is two schools for the deaf. One is Thomas Patterson School for the Deaf in Sydney. An elementary school called Furlong Park School for the Deaf in Victoria.

I have a theory about this. This is only my opinion. I believe it is because most people who are oral deaf have English as their first language and ESL as their second.

It comes down to what the person understands/uses. When I provide CART to a person, the person must read what is being said off of my screen. I write in English. I strive to make the oral English readable. If a person does not have a firm grasp on English, or English is their second language to ASL, then it may be more difficult for them to use my services.

I don't know if this is the case for every, or even if it is a conscious decision, but I think it might be part of the reason some people don't use CART. I had a conversation recently with an interpreter friend of mine and she explained to me how she translates some sentences into ASL. That conversation leads me to believe that the basic structure differences in the two languages affect the ease of use for people who have ASL as their first language and English as their second.

As for being dependent on devices and services, I believe most parent base their decisions on what they know. Most people do not see an abundance of interpreters around or know many people who use sign language, so they base their decision on that.

So, that is my opinion. If anyone has anything they can point out to me or add please feel free. I am always open to learning more.

Royale,
Actually, Victorian College for the Deaf is not the only one in Australia, however it is the oldest in Australia's existence and it's unique because a deaf man created this school.

Anyway, there is two schools for the deaf. One is Thomas Patterson School for the Deaf in Sydney. An elementary school called Furlong Park School for the Deaf in Victoria.

Two schools for the deaf in Australia only? About school in Perth?

Thanks for sharing this Chevy. I found the video very inspiring and shows that some higher-up people actually do care about deafs.

Sad thing though this is in Australia? When will USA catch on to this? :roll:
I missed a lot of things in class when I was younger..

Because they want them to have access to the language of the majority and all those things provide access to english.
Yes, but they are still dependant on an oral terp or FM or Cprint. Without those things they can't function as well.

I think there is a elementary school for the deaf called Mosman Park School for the Deaf in Perth.

We used to have deaf schools in every states but many were closed down in the 70's and 80's.

Yes, but they are still dependant on an oral terp or FM or Cprint. Without those things they can't function as well.

I think that the key is first language vs second language. I think aRachel said some interesting things in her post. (but honestly, in the 6 years I've been involved in deafness, I have never seen an oral interpreter, how common are they?)

I wished I weren't so depended on Cart, I had a hard time shifting back and forth on reading people emotions and reading what they said. you really can't depend on the sound of their voices of their emotions with your hearing aids either.

The deaf school in Perth is closed - there is none in Perth, WA unfortunately. (unless someone can correct me though) most deaf students in WA are mainstreamed with deaf unit/

The deaf school in Perth is closed - there is none in Perth, WA unfortunately. (unless someone can correct me though) most deaf students in WA are mainstreamed with deaf unit/

How come that school closed? So there is only 1 school in all AUS now?

Back