Am I/we intruding?

Jeniita

Reaction score
Hello everybody. :wave:My name is Jenny and I am a hearing person who is interested in learning ASL, I know this is a very generic intro and you have all seen these types of intros a million times over. Which leads me to the title of this post.

I really wonder if deaf/hoh individuals feel tired and annoyed by us hearing individuals who want to learn and "practice" ASL. Are we intruders in your community?

From an outsider's point of view,:roll: I can see both sides. I can definitely see how you would get annoyed by so many of us saying we are learning ASL and need practice when all you want to do is hang out with other deaf/hoh... But at the same time, if the learning is with respect and genuine interest, why not?

Anyways, here it goes! :wave:

I have been learning ASL for a...... wait for it.... shocking!:shock: 3 monhts -_-. However, When I say 3 months, I MEAN 3 months, as in, everyday self-teaching... I have never actually signed with anybody other than one random deaf customer I had at the bank, and even then it wasn't a very impressive conversation at all...

I want to learn more about deaf culture and deaf language. You guys are amazing! and I can't believe most people really do not know much about deaf culture...

Hello everybody. :wave:My name is Jenny and I am a hearing person who is interested in learning ASL, I know this is a very generic intro and you have all seen these types of intros a million times over. Which leads me to the title of this post.

I really wonder if deaf/hoh individuals feel tired and annoyed by us hearing individuals who want to learn and "practice" ASL. Are we intruders in your community?

From an outsider's point of view,:roll: I can see both sides. I can definitely see how you would get annoyed by so many of us saying we are learning ASL and need practice when all you want to do is hang out with other deaf/hoh... But at the same time, if the learning is with respect and genuine interest, why not?

Anyways, here it goes! :wave:

I have been learning ASL for a...... wait for it.... shocking!:shock: 3 monhts -_-. However, When I say 3 months, I MEAN 3 months, as in, everyday self-teaching... I have never actually signed with anybody other than one random deaf customer I had at the bank, and even then it wasn't a very impressive conversation at all...

I want to learn more about deaf culture and deaf language. You guys are amazing! and I can't believe most people really do not know much about deaf culture...

Great! Tell me more.. Of course I like the idea you find me amazing.

But why?

I am a wife, mother, grandmother, enthusiastic dog rescuer.

What makes me so special and amazing in your view??

This is great. Botti is amazing, but does Jenita know why? An AllDeaf test, I love it.

Of course I know what makes Botti so amazing. It's her blog.

Great! Tell me more.. Of course I like the idea you find me amazing.

But why?

I am a wife, mother, grandmother, enthusiastic dog rescuer.

What makes me so special and amazing in your view??

Well, what I think is amazing:

1) I think the language itself is amazing. Is so expressive as opposed to regular speech.

2) You guys do have to deal with a lot of the stupidity from us, "hearies" on a regular basis. Even now that I am learning about the culture and I would share information with others, they just don't get it. Like, why are you learning sign language, again? :roll:

3) all the things you describe also make you amazing, lol.

I do not think there is any amazing about myself. I do NOT have any natural superpowers , and I am not the Wise man sitting on the top of the mountain that has all the answers to the world problem . You sound very young and very impressible to me , if I am right you should stop acting like a puppy dog that will follow anyone around. In other words do no be so trusting as you do not a thing about me.

The only thing amazing about myself other than teaching some people ASL at Deaf events is my ability to sell bikes.

I do not think there is any amazing about myself. I do NOT have any natural superpowers , and I am not the Wise man sitting on the top of the mountain that has all the answers to the world problem . You sound very young and very impressible to me , if I am right you should stop acting like a puppy dog that will follow anyone around. In other words do no be so trusting as you do not a thing about me.

I never said you guys were super humans and have the answers to all of the world problems. I guess from your extremely judgmental point of view, I got one answer to my question of wondering if I'm intruding. which it seems like you think I definitely am.

I do not know how my intro made it seem like I am a "puppy dog that will follow anyone around" <---- that doesn't even make any sense in terms of what I was saying...

I think a lot of different cultures have elements that I consider to be amazing or fascinating for lack of better terms. As the complete outsider to deaf culture That I am, those elements do interest me and if I ever meet a deaf person I hope I can relate to them or at the very least not make a fool of myself.

Lastly, how am I being trusting about you or anybody? Please point out the part in which I made assumptions about you as an individual.

You, on the other hand, are the throwing assumptions left and right:

1) I am young
2) I am impressible
3) I act like a puppy
4) I'm trusting

I never said you guys were super humans and have the answers to all of the world problems. I guess from your extremely judgmental point of view, I got one answer to my question of wondering if I'm intruding. which it seems like you think I definitely am.

I do not know how my intro made it seem like I am a "puppy dog that will follow anyone around" <---- that doesn't even make any sense in terms of what I was saying...

I think a lot of different cultures have elements that I consider to be amazing or fascinating for lack of better terms. As the complete outsider to deaf culture That I am, those elements do interest me and if I ever meet a deaf person I hope I can relate to them or at the very least not make a fool of myself.

Lastly, how am I being trusting about you or anybody? Please point out the part in which I made assumptions about you as an individual.

You, on the other hand, are the throwing assumptions left and right:

1) I am young
2) I am impressible
3) I act like a puppy
4) I'm trusting

You come here saying we're amazing when you do not know anything about us ,expect knowing most of us are deaf or HOH so talk about throwing assumptions left and right! You did not explain why you feel this way and is sound like you are all wide eyes about being here.

^^^ I did explain why I used the word "amazing". Don't worry, I won't use that word again. Point taken.

So... When can you teach me ASL, so I can practice?

^that was a joke, btw...

...I want to learn more about deaf culture . . . and I can't believe most people really do not know much about deaf culture...
You asked for it and you got it--a lesson in deaf culture. :)

Next lesson--learn to roll with the punches instead of getting defensive and you'll go a long way.

I'd much rather be awesome for things I work hard at like running and photo and climbing CAUSING people to want to learn a way to talk to me easier. Alternatively I wouldn't learn another language to talk to a semi-comatose boring person.

It's great you want to learn ASL. I think French is a beautiful language, so I get it :) A group of people who speak a language as a whole aren't awesome... But many of us on here are awesome for reasons not related to our deafness or use of ASL. I don't think you're intruding... But find people you're genuinely interested in knowing regardless of language and use that shared interest to help you learn more ASL. I personally am bored out of my skull when people want to talk about vocabulary and deaf culture 101 haha I'd rather teach vocabulary as it comes up while debating movies or traveling.

First off, I'd like to say you're correct. I am super human, and I have all the answers to all the worlds problems. :D I just can't tell anyone, because they're secrets. :D

I will also agree, that I am pretty amazing and all *blows on nails* but shhhh, I might be captured and studied if it gets out.

ANYWAY,

People's opinions on if you're intruding are going to vary person to person, as we are all incredibly different as with every person in the world. I have deaf friends that refuse to talk to hearies and want nothing to do with them. I also have deaf friends who don't care who you are as long as you're respectful. :dunno: I personally fall into that crowd. As long as you respect me, I don't care who you are. Just don't use me to try and complete your homework assignments or as a lab rat and we're all good. If I see hearies are genuinely interested in ASL, I support the idea of them learning. If I see it's just a phase or they're just using me.... yeah, I tend to get a little peeved.

Also as Bott said, roll with the punches. Most of the deaf community are a bunch of smart a**es and just very sarcastic in general. You're going to catch some flack, it happens..... don't take it so seriously or you're just opening it up for them to get at ya more. :P

Just be respectful and genuine. As I've seen posted before ( Can't remember who ) Deafies will scent you out and attack you like a rabid bunch of dogs. :laugh2: A little over exaggeration, but not too much lol! Like I said, be sincere and genuine, and don't ask absolutely dumb questions and you'll be fine. :D ( Dumb question - Do deaf people get tired of hearing people talking down to them ) That's a dumb a** question, and for it, you will get a ton of dumb a** answers.... and probably more..... :P

:Welcome: from me anyway, and good luck with your ASL. It is a wonderful language and I always support anyone really wanting to learn it. :)

First off, I'd like to say you're correct. I am super human, and I have all the answers to all the worlds problems. :D I just can't tell anyone, because they're secrets. :D

I will also agree, that I am pretty amazing and all *blows on nails* but shhhh, I might be captured and studied if it gets out.

ANYWAY,

People's opinions on if you're intruding are going to vary person to person, as we are all incredibly different as with every person in the world. I have deaf friends that refuse to talk to hearies and want nothing to do with them. I also have deaf friends who don't care who you are as long as you're respectful. :dunno: I personally fall into that crowd. As long as you respect me, I don't care who you are. Just don't use me to try and complete your homework assignments or as a lab rat and we're all good. If I see hearies are genuinely interested in ASL, I support the idea of them learning. If I see it's just a phase or they're just using me.... yeah, I tend to get a little peeved.

Also as Bott said, roll with the punches. Most of the deaf community are a bunch of smart a**es and just very sarcastic in general. You're going to catch some flack, it happens..... don't take it so seriously or you're just opening it up for them to get at ya more. :P

Just be respectful and genuine. As I've seen posted before ( Can't remember who ) Deafies will scent you out and attack you like a rabid bunch of dogs. :laugh2: A little over exaggeration, but not too much lol! Like I said, be sincere and genuine, and don't ask absolutely dumb questions and you'll be fine. :D ( Dumb question - Do deaf people get tired of hearing people talking down to them ) That's a dumb a** question, and for it, you will get a ton of dumb a** answers.... and probably more..... :P

:Welcome: from me anyway, and good luck with your ASL. It is a wonderful language and I always support anyone really wanting to learn it. :)

It was Reba that said "roll with the punches." Gee , I was going to ask you when will the government shut down be over and you can't tell me !

Back