Am i the only one who hates conversations with interpreters?

95mainer

Reaction score
I can't tell you how many times I get upset when interpreters try to strike conversation with me.... Especially when they ask me personal questions, such as what am I doing, where do I live, how's my mom, etc. I'm ambivert with introvert personality, I understand that it's a normal thing but I can't be the only one here... I didn't tell the interpreter to shut up even though I wanted to because i don't want to make the appointment awkward.

they just getting idea of your personality as many people hearing deaf blind etc make small talk it just sizing you up..normal human trait as it is for you to be introvert...many times felt like screaming just do bloody job but that be ill mannered

I can't tell you how many times I get upset when interpreters try to strike conversation with me.... Especially when they ask me personal questions, such as what am I doing, where do I live, how's my mom, etc. I'm ambivert with introvert personality, I understand that it's a normal thing but I can't be the only one here... I didn't tell the interpreter to shut up even though I wanted to because i don't want to make the appointment awkward.

Weird? Are you really deaf? Interpreters are never asking the degree of questions another deaf person will ask you on first meeting.

:lol:

Weird? Are you really deaf? Interpreters are never asking the degree of questions another deaf person will ask you on first meeting.

:lol:

Yes I'm profoundly deaf. The problem is they interpreted for me several times and my mom used to go with me (not anymore because I'm an adult now) and she would get into too much conversations so I guess that gave the interpreter the idea that she has the rights to ask me any questions about anything including about my mom (how's your mom, is she still working, etc). Makes me want to scream, shut the h**** up!!!

they just getting idea of your personality as many people hearing deaf blind etc make small talk it just sizing you up..normal human trait as it is for you to be introvert...many times felt like screaming just do bloody job but that be ill mannered

That's exactly how I feel, LOL. You get me. You do.

Normally, a professional interpreter will limit interaction with a client before and after assignments. Other than a pleasant introduction and establishing language preference there really shouldn't be more conversation prior to the assignment. At the end of the assignment it's acceptable to say a pleasant good-bye but even that's not required, especially if the Deaf client doesn't appear to be in the mood for pleasantries.

Same goes for the hearing client of the assignment. Interpreters shouldn't chit-chat with the hearing parties either, other than normal greetings and any issues that would impact communication. Those issues would be determining if the hearing client knows how to use an interpreter, seating and lighting, any specialized jargon that might be used, or name references that might be used during the assignment.

Obviously, everyone involved is human, and if you use the same interpreter year after year, it's possible to develop a friendly relationship. The interpreter needs to be careful to let the client take the lead in how much to share, and even then, keep things professional when "on the clock."

One thing interpreters are taught is that we shouldn't show up to an assignment too soon. (Obviously, don't show up late either.) The reason is, that limits advance contact with clients. If it appears that the terp will be left alone for more than a minute or two with either client, then the terp should excuse himself/herself and wait out in the hall or waiting room until the other party arrives. That takes off some of the pressure to fill the waiting time void with conversation.

Yes I'm profoundly deaf. The problem is they interpreted for me several times and my mom used to go with me (not anymore because I'm an adult now) and she would get into too much conversations so I guess that gave the interpreter the idea that she has the rights to ask me any questions about anything including about my mom (how's your mom, is she still working, etc). Makes me want to scream, shut the h**** up!!!
Ah, that makes it more awkward. Your mom and the terp got too close while you were a kid. Now you have to break that pattern.

I can understand the terp saying something like, "I hope your mom is well," upon meeting. That way, it's not a question, it's a statement showing concern without digging for information. That way, you can take charge and either say, "Thank you" and let that be the end, or you can go into more detail, only if you want to.

As time goes by, you should get a wider circle of interpreters, and the old ones who knew your mom should fade away.

If the situation is very bad, or the terps are still too "friendly" you have the right to request new terps for future appointments. Just make sure you do it with enough lead time, if possible.

If you do not feel comfortable, just be firm and talk so limit. You can always let them know. dont be afraid.

I dont mind chatting with any interpreters, as long as the quesitons are basic things. If it is too far, you need to let the interpreter know in a nice way. im sure interperters will understandbecause they work with people all the time.

Agree with the above.
I can think of two instances that stick out in my mind. First was when I had to do jury duty. There were two interpreters. During the morning and afternoon sessions they were professional and if I recall did ask about what I preferred as far as signing etc. During lunch- we .. err did hang out together to eat lunch but that was about it. I didn't mind that at all (as in the back of my mind I knew I likely would never see them again). After lunch it was back to being professional.

The other was during a recent "mentoring day" dealie. The interpreter I had was good and kept it professional...I don't think we chatted much. During the break the deaf did sit together- I think some of the interpreters did sit with us (seems some knew each other already) and I thought that was fine...break and all as it wasn't necessarily "on the clock" even though I did note some interpreting going on between the deaf visitors and the employees.

If you don't want the same interpreter I would guess you can request NOT to have a certain person to avoid that kind of situation (especially with the one you described). Reba gives great insight though and worth paying attention to.

Sometimes, I chat with the terps...over the summer when I was going to workshops for my new job, one of the terps was the mother of a former student at my old job so we chatted and chatted most of the day. The workshop was boring and didn't apply to me because it was about high school science lab techniques and stuff. It was a great day because of the terp. LOL!

It all depends on my mood but looking back, I tend to get into conversations with the terps. hehehehe

Back