Am I the only one who get irritated when

RabidLamn

Reaction score
Someone ask if I can teach them how to sign?

It is a perfect way to get on my bad side. It get on my nerve when people meet me then within 5 minutes they all suddenly ask me to teach them how to sign.

I really don't like to teach signing and would go out of the way to avoid it. I've even stop talk to some family members just because they will NOT let it go when I refuse to teach them how to sign.

I'm wondering if others feel the same way or if it is just me?

why would you feel irritated?

Well because from my experience, every time I show then two or three signs, they all suddenly think they're expert in signing and expect me to understand every single things they say when they talk in "garbles" and it get incredibly exhausting trying to read novice's signing. I could be fully awake and alert but as soon as I start to try communicate with them, within a hour I could already be nodding off because it really worn me out.

Also they end up start to want to be by my side 24/7 and being a loner, that just make me feel suffocated.

Then on top of that, even after they learn maybe only 50 words, they'd start to try argue with me about which signing is right and point out my mistake WTF?!

Then they'd go and try to sign with all friends then next thing I'd know is, I'd have 50 people wanting me to teach them.

Oh boy!....Why not suggest a book on ASL, perhaps at the Library? Or some classes at the community college, if they are sincerely interested?

As far as teaching family members, I'm glad to help my 3 boys with ASL....as we use it at home when I don't understand what they are trying to say, even tho' I'm fluent at lip reading, still some words escape my understanding.

Patience is the key...take 10 deep breaths!

Wirelessly posted

Yeah I've tried to brush them off by telling them there's a class to take. if they don't want to take the time and put in the effort, then why should I teach them?

I have taught a couple people signing if I feel it is necessary but if I'm gonna to see them maybe once every week, then no way!

Once I had a girlfriend who I tried to teach signing. she have a habit of pretend to understand me when she really doesn't. Oh man that was fun...

stop hanging out with the wrong crowd :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmEJCpI-qEc]YouTube - The Basic ASL for Hearing to learn.. Ya all deaf know what it is..[/ame]

Someone ask if I can teach them how to sign?

It is a perfect way to get on my bad side. It get on my nerve when people meet me then within 5 minutes they all suddenly ask me to teach them how to sign.

I really don't like to teach signing and would go out of the way to avoid it. I've even stop talk to some family members just because they will NOT let it go when I refuse to teach them how to sign.

I'm wondering if others feel the same way or if it is just me?
Seems like it,everyones diffrent i guess:hmm:

I think it's your personality type.

I am thrilled when people ask me to show them signs. It doesn't happen very often, BTW.

Just tell them you're not qualified to teach.

I think it's your personality type.
I am thrilled when people ask me to show them signs. It doesn't happen very often, BTW.

Well said. Might be a case of trying to make friends here as well. Just a thought.

It depends on who the person is. If it's a parent of a deaf kid, I'm totally into helping them learn as much as possible. If it's a jerk who only wants to learn the dirty signs...I give him the one universal sign. :)

I always take the time to teach people - doesnt matter if I like it or not.

The reason is that they will treat other deaf people better if they ever seen one.

I also tip very well just because of that. I almost never tip under 20%.

I do not mind if they ask me for teaching them some signs. One of my co workers got a free lesson from me. :lol: I did warn her that I am not licensed at teaching signs. She is aware of it. She continues to learn asl. i did tell her there are a few ways of signing in same words and etc. She's so good at picking up lots of signs in a few months. She is so GOOD. She's my first person who has picked up asl so quickly from me even she knows that there are lots of deaf people have styles of signing.

give it some more alittle to be patient. , nothing else.

I always take the time to teach people - doesnt matter if I like it or not.

The reason is that they will treat other deaf people better if they ever seen one.

I also tip very well just because of that. I almost never tip under 20%.

Well said. Represent it, so others might have a better attitude towards deaf.

As for the tip percentage, 20% is minimum for me as well. If you cannot afford 20%, stay home.

A few students know more ASL than I do since they had it in high school. Others like to learn basic signs to communicate with me. They like to hug me. I am happy they like to learn and take an interest. I learn too, that some folks are just curious and others are really caring.

Either way is fine. I think ASL should be for everyone. I have been know to be Evil Granny and teach mean kids the Wrong Sign if they are rude and mean about my deafness and then ask for a sign. :naughty:

Back