Am I Snobby if I was member of Phi Kappa Zeta sorority?

nat84

Reaction score
Here is again that the part of issue related to Phi Kappa Zeta.

I know many people used to their view on sorority like as mine. I realized they feel I was like snobby person who is around non-Greek members. Sometimes I did not think I did not talk to some of old classmates every day while I was on pledge and active members at time. Few of my classmate who are non-Greek members had questionable about me but I was seem different person. One person refuse to confess on me because this person feel not comfortable to answer while I was with my sisters. I found out few realize thing that there is something belong to me through PKZ. Most of them who were non-Greek members believed that I am one might be snobby like my sisters do. Huh, Do I really look snobby if I like to talk people in public or busy with sisters so more away from people? I disagree that, I do not think there is meaning of us being snobby people. How non-Greek members think PKZ sisters like me do being snobby around people on campus? I would never be like that, I am not being snobby people if I ingore people in public often or kept sisters away from people became isolated. You know I was very friendly, humble, scholarstic, and well-going person, always care about someone who I know, help other people, involved christian groups in the past. I believed I am different person from other, like there kind of diversity people who are, same in christan group I thought they were common in one thing but not true. I do not need worry if I would be open-minded to talk or friend with anyone who are non-members because I already know who I am, I do not need to being popular myself myself. I do not need any KG guy which should not copy from other of my sister because I was not bothered to seek them every time. Also, I know it is make my choice to find my decision what I want, not do from my sisters, I had own time and focus on myself. Now, I felt bad for people who kept thinking but I like to advise some people shall be not think something is not really fact, only find think yourself. I know people scared of talk to my sisters or alumni of PKZ who they think us may be not nice people. But it is not necessary to know the truth, all of us have different personality or background consider as understanding diversity. I've met many alumni PKZ like members who worked at school for the deaf, NAD, advoacy, government, and other places. They may became great legend who graduated and alumni of PKZ, it would learn from them as experience in the past.

When I was at Gallaudet, I befriended some of the sorority members..some of them were the sweetest people but when I went to their parties, the other members completely ignored me after they asked me if I was part of a sorority. My friends apologized for their snobbiness. I guess it really depends on the person on how they view themselves once they become a member. Some people think by being a member, they have permission to be snobby while others continue to be their true selves.

some are nice people and some are snobbish. I can see some of them had to act snobbish out of peer pressure to be just like their leader groupie. But I am sure deep in side they are nice in other way.

No matter where we go, in college or out of college, we will alway find respectful and disrespectful people everyday.

Sigma Nu

Tomorrow, January 1, marks the 139th birthday of Sigma Nu. Far from snobbish, Sigma Nu was founded to fight campus hazing and anti-social behavior. Members are heavily fined for snobbish behavior.

Just a few fine frat brothers are Bob Barker, Jeremiah “Jim” Beam, James Dean, Harrison Ford, Zane Grey, Glenn Miller, Tom Poston, Charles Schwab, Paul Tibbets, Don Tyson

Just because you joined a particular group doesn't mean you are different. It's who YOU DO that defines who YOU ARE.

If the group does something that goes against your belief, then why are you part of that group in the first place?

There are some sororities and fraternities that do things that go against the beliefs of some members, but members choose popularity over ethics. As time goes by, those members eventually change to become the one they originally were against.

"If you become Greek, you stop talking to your non-Greek friends." This is a myth. Of course, it only becomes true when a person allows it to happen. There are some fraternities that forbid pledges from socializing with anyone who is non-Greek. I know of one fraternity that has what we would call "Hell Week". They forbid their pledges from socializing with their girlfriends or friends during the first few weeks (sometimes until they are initiated) to prove their commitment towards the fraternity. Sadly, these pledges have lost friends and few have barely kept a few of their friends from this process. I'm against this because I believe that fraternities and sororities are just a group that have their own beliefs, but should not interfere with our own personal lives.

Just because you join a sorority doesn't mean you have to spend all your time with them. They should respect your private life. The only commitment you should really be making with your sorority is fundraising events, community service projects, meetings, etc... other than that, it's your life. Don't let that stop you from doing things with your non-Greek friends. Show them that you are still the same person you have always been. :)

Back