Am I hearing impared?

?

Aww these are really great, I guess seeing and watching their little faces smile and sign really is a voice without sound that you can feel and enjoy just as much as hearing. Actually it's probably better when your deaf you don't hear the whining, or yelling! like I wish right now I didn't have to hear lol
I have signed to my little ones since they were babies and put them in an asl class, it pays off when in movies I need to talk to them or when in church! they really enjoy signing, and I can see the happiness they have when I sign I love you and I see it back. I guess I won't miss it like I think. Just how do you teach your friends and family? is their anyone who had/has this situation and what did you do?

Aww these are really great, I guess seeing and watching their little faces smile and sign really is a voice without sound that you can feel and enjoy just as much as hearing. Actually it's probably better when your deaf you don't hear the whining, or yelling! like I wish right now I didn't have to hear lol
I have signed to my little ones since they were babies and put them in an asl class, it pays off when in movies I need to talk to them or when in church! they really enjoy signing, and I can see the happiness they have when I sign I love you and I see it back. I guess I won't miss it like I think. Just how do you teach your friends and family? is their anyone who had/has this situation and what did you do?

When my family saw how happy my son was to be able to communicate, and how excited he was to be able to let them know what he was thinking and feeling, they got the message. My parents learned sign from me, but my brother and his boys all took some classes to get started, and then allowed my son to teach them more advanced things. It really made my son feel great to be able to help his uncle and his cousin learn to communicate with him.

The thing is, some family members and friends will do whatever it takes, and will go out of their way to learn, and some will refuse to learn at all. Sad, but true. I see the ones that refuse to learn as loosing out on all the special moments they could have with a deaf person, so it is their loss, not yours.

Those precious moments are precious, no matter what language is used.

It seems normal and healthy to grieve the loss of your hearing. It's a big change in your life.

I am sure that you will still be able to experience your children's lives as fully.

My husband has mentioned if I go deaf he doesn't want to learn. He has a hard time remembering. He's a joker so I hope he was joking I just don't want to revisit the whole thing till I have to. It will be sad to teach my kids and my husband just write to me. :crazy:

It seems normal and healthy to grieve the loss of your hearing. It's a big change in your life.

I am sure that you will still be able to experience your children's lives as fully.

Thanks it helps to know it's healthy! hey finally figured out how to use this quote thing lol

Hi there...I have been profoundly deaf since birth but didnt learn ASL until 25 years old. My hearing ex hubby didnt want to learn when I told him that with ASL, there would be less misunderstandings between us. He wasnt very supportive of my learning ASL so it was hard. My current hubby is hearing and he signs pretty well...I think ASL helps our relationship cuz there arent a lot of misunderstandings due to my inability to hear. Hope your family will be supportive about learning sign language ..good luck!

When my family saw how happy my son was to be able to communicate, and how excited he was to be able to let them know what he was thinking and feeling, they got the message. My parents learned sign from me, but my brother and his boys all took some classes to get started, and then allowed my son to teach them more advanced things. It really made my son feel great to be able to help his uncle and his cousin learn to communicate with him.

The thing is, some family members and friends will do whatever it takes, and will go out of their way to learn, and some will refuse to learn at all. Sad, but true. I see the ones that refuse to learn as loosing out on all the special moments they could have with a deaf person, so it is their loss, not yours.

Those precious moments are precious, no matter what language is used.

Hi there...I have been profoundly deaf since birth but didnt learn ASL until 25 years old. My hearing ex hubby didnt want to learn when I told him that with ASL, there would be less misunderstandings between us. He wasnt very supportive of my learning ASL so it was hard. My current hubby is hearing and he signs pretty well...I think ASL helps our relationship cuz there arent a lot of misunderstandings due to my inability to hear. Hope your family will be supportive about learning sign language ..good luck!

clapping.GIF

If you want to know about being a HOH interpreter, drop me a PM. There have been threads about it in the "Interpreting and Captioning" forum here on AD.

Back