Am I deaf?

Sometimes when meeting new people, I say "I can't hear worth a damn and I love it." That sounds rather cavalier, but it serves a purpose, since it makes them aware of my "condition," both physical and mental, and they become more careful in talking with me. :giggle:

that sounds way too complicated for me. When I meet people for the first time, I say I'm deaf. From experience, telling them I'm hearing impaired or hard of hearing gives the impression I only have mild hearing loss and then that leads to them not making any changes in how they speak to me then I have to explain to them that no, hearing impaired does not mean I only have mild hearing loss then they get confused then I have to give them a long explanation.

Telling them I'm deaf leads to no mistaken assumptions about the level of my hearing loss and makes communication easier from the get go.

I was thinking more when I have to qualify my place within the deafness spectrum to someone with a knowledge of the differences. For example I had to explain to a social worker what support I needed. By telling her I was "oral deaf" meant she immediately knew I didn't use BSL or interpretors.

I was thinking more when I have to qualify my place within the deafness spectrum to someone with a knowledge of the differences. For example I had to explain to a social worker what support I needed. By telling her I was "oral deaf" meant she immediately knew I didn't use BSL or interpretors.

Ah, then that makes sense. I thought you meant hearing people in general.

To begin with, I shall attempt to define these labels in terms of self-identity (i.e. how deaf people use them).

Deaf (with a big 'D') is used by people whose home is in the Deaf community. They will use sign language as their primary language. It is a cultural label not a medical label, so it isn't defined by how much hearing loss (HL) you have [see below], but by whether you share your life & beliefs with other Deaf people.

However most people with a hearing loss use spoken language (by preference or circumstances) and are not part of the signing Deaf community. Many of this group prefer to use the HOH label as their home is in the hearing world and their self-identity is as a person with nearly-normal-hearing, barely different from other fully-hearing people. Other people with hearing loss prefer to use the deaf label as they see their deafness shaping their identity. It's a matter of personal preference whether to use HOH or deaf so a person with profound HL may see themselves as 'HOH' and a different person with mild HL will describe themselves as 'deaf'. You can even use the word 'HOH' to describe yourself to one group and 'deaf' to another. The term "oral deaf" is sometimes used to distinguish people who communicate orally rather than use sign.

Moving from how Deaf/deaf/HOH people use these labels to how hearing people use them is where is gets complicated! Especially when hearing people often use the label 'deaf' in a negative way ("deaf & dumb"). Plus 'deafness' has legal and medical definitions as part of obtaining welfare/social/medical benefits. So a welfare worker may tell you that you are not deaf because you don't meet their criteria. Note that they are using the labels differently from a person using them to define their self-identity.

Finally there are audiological definitions of HL measured in dB and are classified as mild, moderate, severe & profound. These are functional definitions rather than self-identity labels.

P.S. As far as I know, only drphil uses the term 'DEAF' (all caps)

Thank you for explaining. Hmmm...according to the defination above, I am more like a HOH,since I dont know sign language fully yet, and use oral most of the time. But still I like to use deaf word to explain myself. I feel whole when i consider myself a deaf despite my family like to label me as" my daughter have a hearing problem BUT she can communicate fully as she is wearing a pair of hearing aids"

I dont know, when I will finally become Deaf. I mean I really want to get involved in deaf community. But considering the condition in my country, I guess it is not possible now.

Thank you for explaining. Hmmm...according to the defination above, I am more like a HOH,since I dont know sign language fully yet, and use oral most of the time. But still I like to use deaf word to explain myself. I feel whole when i consider myself a deaf despite my family like to label me as" my daughter have a hearing problem BUT she can communicate fully as she is wearing a pair of hearing aids"

I dont know, when I will finally become Deaf. I mean I really want to get involved in deaf community. But considering the condition in my country, I guess it is not possible now.

If you feel the word 'deaf' better describes yourself, then use that label. I was talking about using the word that fits your self-identity. It looks to me that you are deaf but not yet Deaf.

The use of DEAF is to differentiate from an ideological discussion re "cultural vs oral" to actual condition-silence. How can a hearing person self define oneself as "cultural Deaf"and be "meaningful"? Can one "stop actually hearing" consciously excluding not paying attention-voluntarily?

Computer screens is easy-in reality?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

That is the fact of my bilateral deafness-since December 20, 2006. Every time Implant disconnected- never forget I am DEAF>

That is the fact of my bilateral deafness-since December 20, 2006. Every time Implant disconnected- never forget I am DEAF>

I think I finally understand :lol:. I personally feel that "deaf" covers that sufficiently for my use (it may cover a range of "deafness", but at it's end is your word "DEAF") and "Deaf" covers the alternative meaning. I am not saying you can't use that word from now on, actually go ahead as now I'll know your specific meaning. I can understand where it would come in handy. With some people using "deaf" and "hard of hearing" almost interchangeably nowadays, you can use it to make a distinction where "some residual hearing" and "no hearing" makes a difference.

Back