Am I crazy??

Southern

Reaction score
Since I have started learning ASL I have it on the brain. I find myself almost signing to hearing people. If I know some one can’t hear me my mind automatically goes to ASL. I was out at a local bar a few weeks ago and my Deaf friend was with me. He asked me to ask one of my hearing friends something. They weren’t all that far away but with the music I knew they couldn’t hear me all that well. I asked the question and they said they didn’t hear me. I moved closer and then started laughing. I said I am sorry I almost signed the question to you. My hearing friend said actually I was waiting for you to do just that! LOL I have been doing that a lot here recently. I have to stop myself from signing to hearing people. So my question is, is this just me and my crazy brain or is this normal? Does this issue increase for interpreters. I start formal interpreting classes soon. I laugh at myself for doing it but I amuse myself all the time anyway. I’m just waiting for when I don’t stop myself and a hearing person gets really confused! LOL

Since I have started learning ASL I have it on the brain. I find myself almost signing to hearing people. If I know some one can’t hear me my mind automatically goes to ASL. I was out at a local bar a few weeks ago and my Deaf friend was with me. He asked me to ask one of my hearing friends something. They weren’t all that far away but with the music I knew they couldn’t hear me all that well. I asked the question and they said they didn’t hear me. I moved closer and then started laughing. I said I am sorry I almost signed the question to you. My hearing friend said actually I was waiting for you to do just that! LOL I have been doing that a lot here recently. I have to stop myself from signing to hearing people. So my question is, is this just me and my crazy brain or is this normal? Does this issue increase for interpreters. I start formal interpreting classes soon. I laugh at myself for doing it but I amuse myself all the time anyway. I’m just waiting for when I don’t stop myself and a hearing person gets really confused! LOL

hahaha.. no you are not crazy... it did happened to me.. i am deaf... i was living with blind/deaf friend f or 4 months.. i had to fingerspell under her hands.. i ended up doing to the hearing friends...fingerspelling under their hands...RME...

I have done that with my own mother. We went to visit my family and one morning, my mother asked me to ask my wife what she wanted for breakfast. After my wife told me nothing, I turned to my mother, called out her name and tapped her on the shoulder and started to sign to my mother what my wife said too me. My mother just went bugged eye and almost spilled the pan on the floor. I had to walk away and sit down while I finished laughing cause I did that. My wife disappeared into the bedroom to hide her laughter too. It is very common. What is funny, is when you start signing to yourself to figure something out or instead of talking in your sleep, you sign in your sleep.

you are not alone, I sign at work! for example. If I have to go to the bathroom I sign bathroom and expect them to know where I am going. Most of them know now but they were confused in the beginning.

It has happened to me on occasion that when a question is signed to me I will re-sign it to the hearing client instead of voicing it, or vice versa (re-voice a question to the deaf client instead of signing). It doesn't happen often, and it's usually in a consecutive situation where the conversation is going quickly and my brain stalls out. Of course I get the blank stare from the recipient and then I quickly realize my mistake, explain what happened to both parties, and move on, and usually the deaf client laughs at me, and it's all good. :giggle:

It has happened to me on occasion that when a question is signed to me I will re-sign it to the hearing client instead of voicing it, or vice versa (re-voice a question to the deaf client instead of signing). It doesn't happen often, and it's usually in a consecutive situation where the conversation is going quickly and my brain stalls out. Of course I get the blank stare from the recipient and then I quickly realize my mistake, explain what happened to both parties, and move on, and usually the deaf client laughs at me, and it's all good. :giggle:
I've done that too! Especially re-signing to the hearing client. I'm definitely guilty of that one. :giggle:

whew Well I am glad to know i am not the only one!! I am highly expressive anyway and have always talked with my hands so when i start a sign and realize and stop myself i think hearing people just think i am being me. LOL i have told a few though when i just start laughing for no apparent reason. Well i will do it when i haven't been around Deaf people too. Then i think lord where the hell did that come from. I guess maybe my brain is starting to get used to ASL as a form of communication just like using my voice and gets wires crossed! LOL my poor brain! =)

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who does that! :rofl:

It's really awkward when I speak a question to the Deaf consumer, and then we just stare at each other while I'm wondering to myself, "why doesn't she respond?" Duh! Just :slap: me, please!

Happened to me too! Also the opposite have happened to me but not that often--interpreting conversation between deaf and hearing persons and going back and forth so often that my brain gets confused. Then I speak to the deaf person!! :lol:

Early this morning I hadn't quite waken up yet I was still dreaming, but I vividly remember signing to MacGyver(tv show in the 80"s) this" Your clothes? Movie people need buy you new. This was after noting how roughed up his clothes looked and as rich as he was I couldn't understand why he wore them. Anyways the point of this is I actually signed correctly and knew what I was signing for the first time in my dream. Before I would sign but I couldn't tell you what I said or if they were real signs or not.

lol

I find myself singing to my boss at work all the time, I think he responds I'm not drunk enough to understand that yet. I also started signing to my roommate but she started to learn so if I sign some thing to her she signs back "what?" in one of my classes I signed all my answers to the teacher, that was funny.

I find myself doing it to. For some reason, I seem to be especially guilty of signing to small children--I guess its a carryover from when my son was little.

I find myself doing it to. For some reason, I seem to be especially guilty of signing to small children--I guess its a carryover from when my son was little.

Don't feel guilty!!! maybe those lil small children will get use to it and not be rude to someone that is deaf in their time. As I use to do that with my lil niece and nephews.. they think it was fun to do... no harm to it!!!

I find myself singing to my boss at work all the time, I think he responds I'm not drunk enough to understand that yet. I also started signing to my roommate but she started to learn so if I sign some thing to her she signs back "what?" in one of my classes I signed all my answers to the teacher, that was funny.

At first I thought you said "singing" like singing a song... oppies.. I got what you mean!!! hehehe.. well maybe it's time that your boss to learn some signs so it'll be easier to communicate smile.. just make a fun day out of it!!

:ty:
Don't feel guilty!!! maybe those lil small children will get use to it and not be rude to someone that is deaf in their time. As I use to do that with my lil niece and nephews.. they think it was fun to do... no harm to it!!!

My hearing husband told me that he sometimes signs to his coworkers about going to the bathroom. At first they were all confused and thought he was crazy but now thanks to him, they know the sign for "bathroom". LOLOL!!!

I sign to people at my work, and the funny thing is that people do understand me!

Heheh it happens to me too. Im hearing and im taking an ASL class at school. In my first year this happened mostly because i was having to concentrate more to learn it but my teacher would give us a project to sign a song. My mother would usually come in because she would hear me play the same part over and over again until I got it down. But i guess i was just in signing mode because I would turn around and respond in sign lol. She just walked back out the door.

It happens. I have hearing friends who sign to other hearing people sometimes. ;)

Back