Am I a hypocrite for Euthanising my rodent Mia?

dreama

Reaction score
I expect people already know my views about Euthanasia for humans. They haven't changed.
Sadly I've had to Euthanise my rodent Mia. She has been suffering from a really big lump for a while now. Despite this she was eating and showing signs normal rodent behavior.

Now her lump has reached the stage that something needed to be done. With rodents their really isn't any other option then Euthanisa. Also her companions Belle and Ariel had also died. They were found dead in their cage which they share with Mia. I'm not sure what of although Belle had a really bad case of head tilt and Ariel seemed a little under the weather.

I do really hate what I did though. She grabbed my finger in her little paws and seemed to be saying something to me. I'm not even sure I did the right thing but it was either that or allow her tumour to go septic.

May Mia, Belle and Ariel all rest in peace (cry).

I don't think you should feel guilty. I think you did her a kindness to spare her pain and suffering.

Oh honey, you did the right thing.

We all at one time in our lives have to do the most loving thing as a furparent and that is most hardest thing as well.

Euthanasia is the most loving act IMHO as a furparent because you're guiding your furchild to the other side. They're waiting to meet you when it's your time to meet them.

I know it is hard but hang in there.

I'm so sorry!...But remmy...you'll meet them one day at the "Rainbow Bridge"...they will be there waiting on you!

It's okay to feel bad, we all do. Sometimes, things like that is the best we can do for them.

We've had to put a few of our dogs to sleep in the past.

One dog developed bone cancer in her left shoulder. Her X-ray showed a huge black spot where her shoulder used to be. So, she was in constant pain whenever she walked or stretched. We eventually put her to sleep. She could have lived longer, but would have gotten worse and worse in pain.

One dog developed seizures. He could have lived longer, but he would have kept hurting himself. His seizures got to a point where they were extremely uncontrollable. He would bang his head and body against things around the house. He broke 2 glass tables (cutting himself a bit each time) and peed all over the place. We put him to sleep.

One dog had a serious kidney infection. Even if we were to do surgery to fix it, he would be in constant pain afterwards and would require constant check-ups to maintain that infection. So, we put him to sleep.

One dog developed mouth cancer. There was nothing we could do. His mouth was his only source of nutrition. We didn't want to make him suffer constantly every time he ate and drink. He would eventually stop eating and drinking due to the pain. We put him to sleep.

We regret doing it to these dogs, but it was for the best so that they didn't suffer.

Thanks for your kind words. Although I am still feeling very bad about this. I've euthanised animals before. Even with my first guide dog Bruce.
Although I had let my father adopt him after he retired I was at the vet with him when he died. It doesn't get any easier.

I feel I am faced with two equally repugnant choices. Either I kill my pet or I let them suffer. Either way makes me a really rotten guardian.

No, it does not make you a hypocrite, You only had stated your views for human, not animals. I know it is very difficult when it comes to euthanasia on pets, but on the other hand we do not want our pets to suffer. I know just exactly what you're going through, I had the same thing done to my hamster, Maria couple years back ago. It was the most hardest decision I ever made, but knowing now she's at peace and not suffering, it does erase my guilt. ;)

Truly, you did the right thing. ;)

I am sorry you're feeling so sad. I think you did the right think. I had to do the same with my pet cat and two puppies that were born very sick.
When you are feel better you buy yourself some more pet rodents so they'll have a loving home! But I would clean out the cage very good
before bringing home your new family.

Thanks for the good wishes.
I really miss not having my rodent companions. I will not be getting any more until after august when I go to vegan camp for a week. After that I will see about getting some more rescues.
I still feel bad about what I did but from this point on she would have definately been suffering. It's such a difficult choice to make.

I'm already missing Mia and Bella (cry)

Dreama I do feel your feelings. I had various of pets that had died Natrually of old age and some had to be put down.
In my views is if they are young and the illness is treatable is worth living for but to the point it's not working and the animal is clearly unhappy I rather they go before it gets worse. If they are getting on a bit and the illness would eventually kill it I rather them go when they still have the digity and not suffering at all.

I had a albino rat when i was in my late teens, His name was Ratty, He loved tomatoes and my cat!! He had tumor too and he was almost 5 years old. Rats are known to get cancers/tumors easily.

You are not hypocrite, you did it out of love by preventing her from suffering. (((hugs)))

Thanks Charlotte, whatdidyousay, Cheri, Vamp, Rockinrobin, Mrs Bucket and Bott.

Today I made a plague for my rats. I put their names on and hopefully they will be burried soon when I can find someone to clear away some of the undergrowth that has taken over my garden.

I'm sorry to hear about that. I know what you are going through. I had to put my rabbit Jerri to sleep because she was in so much pain. She has lived for 12 years..... it was so sad to hold her as we put her to sleep. But it's the best thing to do, as we wouldn't want the animals to stuffer.

Thanks for your kind words Kaelei.
I'm sorry to hear about everyone else having to euthanise their animals. To me it is the very worst aspect of pet guardianship as it makes me feel so very guilty.

Thanks for your kind words Kaelei.
I'm sorry to hear about everyone else having to euthanise their animals. To me it is the very worst aspect of pet guardianship as it makes me feel so very guilty.

Makes me feel that way also. When we had to put to sleep our 16 year old Lhasa Apso several years ago, I cried and cried, even though logically I knew it was the right thing to do.

Yesterday I meant to some shopping online. I kept comming accross items that I used to get for my rodents which made it quite unbearable. It got so bad that I just had to leave.

Does anyone else who loses a pet feel this way. Or when your hand rests on something that they used to like? Such as paper bags to make a nest out of?

Yesterday I meant to some shopping online. I kept comming accross items that I used to get for my rodents which made it quite unbearable. It got so bad that I just had to leave.

Does anyone else who loses a pet feel this way. Or when your hand rests on something that they used to like? Such as paper bags to make a nest out of?

Yes, although it certainly lessens over time.

Do you get your pets from rescue?

Maybe you would feel better if you just jumped right in and rescued a couple more of ferrets or rodents as you have such feeling for animals.

There are never enough rescuers. :)

Yes, although it certainly lessens over time.

Do you get your pets from rescue?

Maybe you would feel better if you just jumped right in and rescued a couple more of ferrets or rodents as you have such feeling for animals.

There are never enough rescuers. :)

Yes they were rescues. They were rescue rats. I'm planning to get a couple of boys after I come back from holiday in August but it depends on wether I can or not.

When I got my rats I wasn't completely deafblind in the way I am now. I had a lot of useful vision. I still have a little useful vision in some certain lighting conditions but I don't know how the rescue centres will react to someone without sight or hearing at all rescuing their animals. Naturally they want someone who can care properly for their animals. I wouldn't want it to be any differant even if it may exclude me. We will see when I actually offer to take animals how they respond.

I still have chinchilla's and my ex guide dog Jilli.

Back