Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards

R

rockdrummer

Source: American Society for Deaf Children

Learning Opportunities for Your Child Through Alternate Asseessments: Alternate Assessments Based on Modified Academic Achievement Standards

Sep 10, 2007

The National Center on Educational Outcomes has produced a new guide to help parents of students with disabilities understand a new state alternate assessment allowable under No Child Left Behind. While few states are currently offering this assessment option, some will be developing it in the coming years. Parents will need to understand what it is and how to decide if it is the right option for their child. The guide is available for download free of charge at

http://cehd.umn.edu/nceo/OnlinePUbs/AAMASParentGuide.pdf

The Advocacy Institute, Advocacy Institute was pleased to assist NCEO in the preparation of this new resource.

In other threads I recall others saying that the assessment standards for deaf kids should be different than for hearing kids. Is this along the lines of what was discussed? What do others think about this NCLB document.

Hey, rd. Just wanted to let you know that I saved this doc and am going to sit down and discuss it with my Ph.D. mentor tonight when I meet with her. I haven't had time to read it thoroughly yet, but hope to get to it later this afternoon. Just wanted you to know that I am interested and wasn't ignoring this informative post.

My initial opinion from what I have read is that modified standards are great in some cases, but lead to lowered expectations in other cases. Kind of a double edged sword. But will elaborate later.

Yea, I have given out the Alternate Maryland State Assessment (Alt-MSA)...that is for deaf children with devere additional needs. My opinion, I dont feel that they really accurately measure their progress but it is better than the regular MSA.

Now the Mod-MSA (Modified-Maryland State Assessment), that will be for deaf children who are performing 2 to 3 years behind and we havent started that yet cuz the state hasnt developed it yet. Maybe next year.

The regular MSA is still and will be given to deaf students who are performing at their grade levels in addition to those who are delayed without any additional special needs. I cant wait for the state to develop the Mod-MSA for those who are language deprived but remember it is being developed by a panel of people with no experience in deafness and deaf ed so I hope the test is not biased. We'll see.

Yea, I have given out the Alternate Maryland State Assessment (Alt-MSA)...that is for deaf children with devere additional needs. My opinion, I dont feel that they really accurately measure their progress but it is better than the regular MSA.

Now the Mod-MSA (Modified-Maryland State Assessment), that will be for deaf children who are performing 2 to 3 years behind and we havent started that yet cuz the state hasnt developed it yet. Maybe next year.

The regular MSA is still and will be given to deaf students who are performing at their grade levels in addition to those who are delayed without any additional special needs. I cant wait for the state to develop the Mod-MSA for those who are language deprived but remember it is being developed by a panel of people with no experience in deafness and deaf ed so I hope the test is not biased. We'll see.

Yeah, the verbal section really needs revision.

Back