aloha from Hilo (...long intro...)

Keike11:11

Reaction score
:fruit:my name is JADE & i've lived here in Hilo, Hawaii for 18 years (& i am hearing).

1991 & 1992 i was attending Mt. San Antonio College to become an interpreter. At that school I was able to meet lots of people in the deaf community & i felt my life was very rich & that my career was on its way. In Dcember '92 my father asked me to move to Hawaii to care for my ill grandpa until he could retire in '95 & take over his care. My dad was the only child as am i, so i moved.

my dad retired in '95 & moved here, but died in '98 & grandpa passed away 3 years after in '01. i decided to stay.

i attended UH Hilo & there were no programs for interpreters there. I didn't see anyone signing for years after i moved here - so i thought that they must be in Oahu where there is a semblance of outreach & tons more people.

i am finishing my MEd in autism now, & i occasionally taught the children & adults i worked with, certain signs, as it would help them communicate their needs & wants. i found that those signs - even if just "bathroom" or "hungry" or "sad", made a huge difference in our days together & i was so relieved that i had that background.

anyway, this whole time, i have missed the deaf community, but especially signing (with anyone), i have probably signed w/ about 5 or 6 people in 18 years. i am so out of practice, but still have the desire to sign.

sorry for the super long intro. but ultimately i am hoping to meet people that i can eventually sign with, inspire me to practice & rekindle that love i once had with ASL.

feel free to ask me any questions you may have (about Hawaii or whatever), i am very open minded.:fruit:

:wave:

Welcome to AllDeaf!

There are many here that are willing to help out, even Interpreters too!

There are ADer's always looking to meet over the video to practise signing with each other.

Maybe a few will let you know?

Again, welcome welcome!

Hi Jade. I'm new here. I'm hearing, but wanting to learn ASL. Do you know how many deaf are here on this island? Do you know where my husband and I could take classes? Thanks.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Oh, I would love to visit Hawaii to enjoy the Paradise (maybe not very paradise>:hmm:) I have never visit Hawaii before. Anyway, I hope there might be some Aders who might be from Hawaii that will tell you where to find Deaf socials and sign language classes to learn first time (for ladylena94). We usually have videos to show us signing or have any lectures from Deaf signers about Deaf topics. If you have live in Hawaii for 18 years, especially in Hilo, maybe you can check it out in Honolulu, Hawaii like the Hawaii Hearing Society which offers some deaf socials or information where you can find some deaf classes. So for now that you both are here, have fun reading and posting all the threads here. Also one more thing, if you want to PM here on AllDeaf, you will have to wait until 50 or 100 posts to write messages on our PM which is on the upper right side corner of the board. I hope I make it clear. See you around here. :wave:

Hi Jade, welcome to AD. My 1/2 of my blood came from Big Island. I often visit my relatives there. I love Hilo better than Honolulu. Someday I visit you there and keep you company and refesh more sign language. Pm me.

Hi Jade, welcome to AD. My 1/2 of my blood came from Big Island. I often visit my relatives there. I love Hilo better than Honolulu. Someday I visit you there and keep you company and refesh more sign language. Pm me.

Can the OP wait until she reach 50 or 100 posts in the PM? She is a newcomer so give it time first. Don't jump ahead too fast. Take it slow. :lol:

Hi Jade. We are relocating to Hawaii.. have not decided if we want to move to Oahu or the Big Islands. I am deaf and would like to know what the deaf community and deaf church are like on the Big Island? I tried to find the info but all I found about the deaf community, church and deaf events were in Honolulu.

So the OP made six posts over the course of three days four years ago and hasn't returned.

Anybody wanting fresh information would be better advised to start their own new thread.

Back