AllyASL on ABC's the World News With Diane Sawyer

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
here is the link:
YouTube Sensation Allyson Townsend Brings Music to Deaf - ABC News

Person of the Week: Ally ASL Brings Music to Deaf Followers

Allyson Townsend isn't deaf, and she doesn't have any family members that are hearing impaired. Yet she meticulously dedicates her time to signing out popular hits like Taylor Swift's "Back to December" in American Sign Language for her 15,350 viewers to enjoy on her YouTube channel, Ally ASL.

The 22-year-old graduated from Baylor University in 2010 after majoring in deaf education, but she first gained an interest in ASL as a child when her deaf friend wasn't able to understand her love of music.

"She asked me, 'How do you know which words to sing at which point and how do you know how long to say the word?' and just asked me questions like that," she said.

So Townsend made her friend a music video, an ASL version of Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me."

"She loved it," she said. "She absolutely loved it. She asked me to do more."

Four years ago, she started posting other songs online. Since then, she has covered a vast array of music, from "Baby It's Cold Outside" by Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone to "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha.

Viewers Respond
Today, more than 15,000 people have watched her videos, and although her fans can't hear any music, they still respond to the posts. The comment board on her channel is full of thankful viewers, like xFallenXAngelx0811.

"Omg, thank you so much for putting this up," the comment reads. "I'm deaf, so it's great to be able to actually hear the music."

Another dedicated viewer, TheStrawberry67 wrote, "I love watching you sign because I am a deaf 13-year-old and I can understand some of my favorite songs by you signing. You make words very clear for me to understand. Thanks!"

"The way you move your body, whether it's a fast song or a slow song, they're really able to connect to that and experience that from your body and facial expression," said Townsend. "Signing songs is like painting pictures with your hands. It's very visual, you can see it, you're setting up a story board in the air."
Helping Others Learn
Townsend now is a second grade teacher in Mesquite, TX, and most of the children in her class are completely deaf.

"When I see a child that has been exposed to music who has never had that exposure before it makes me feel great," she said. "It makes me feel like I have been able to provide them with something they can have for the rest of their lives."

The webpage also has a video but, of course, it is not captioned. My friend said she would transcribe it for me but she won't be able to do it tonight.

Enjoy!
*EQL*

Video Transcription

here is the transcription (thanks becky!!)

News Anchor: Think how many times a favorite song has turned around your day or your mood. Tonight, a woman who decided that everyone should have that experience even the deaf and she did something about it. Now to Sharon Alfonsi.

(Music in background)

Sharon: They are the songs that pump us up….that can comfort a broken heart…..or inspire a first kiss. Like most teenagers, Allyson Townsend loved music. But her deaf friend just didn’t get it.

Allyson: She would watch me sing the song and she asked me “how do you know which words to sing as which point and how do you know how long to say the word, or if it’s a short word” , or you know just asked me questions like that and it was just really interesting to me.

Sharon: So Allyson made this video for her. (music in background). Translating not just the words but the feelings.

Allyson: She loved it, she absolutely loved it and she asked me to do more.

Sharon: She did; posting other songs online. (music in background). Today, more than 15 000 people have watched; watched because many of her fans can’t hear the videos. Then, the songs sound like this. (silence).

Allyson: The way that you move your body, whether it’s a slow song or a fast song, they’re really able to connect to that and experience that from your body movements and your facial expressions. Signing songs is exactly that, painting a picture with your hands. It’s very visual, you can see it, you’re setting up a storyboard in the air.

Sharon: And Allyson really hopes those stories touch hearts that can sometimes be lonely (music), sometimes feeling isolated by silence….especially these hearts. (music). See, Allyson is also a second grade teacher.

Allyson: (talking to class) “Let’s wait our turn to talk”

Sharon: “Many of her students are completely deaf”

Allyson: When I see a child who’s just been exposed to music who has never had that exposure before, it makes me feel great, it makes me feel like I’ve been able to provide them with something they’ve never had before and something that they can take with them for the rest of their life. (music)

Sharon: Allyson is proof that sometimes the real rockstars are often silent.

New anchor: and so we choose Allyson Townsend, finishing up her sign language certificate and hopes to one day sign during live concerts.

I love Ally! She is amazing! She has MANY songs in ASL. I had a few emails between her and I and she had joined Tag Deaf and posted a bunch of things over there.

Back