AllDeaf Usability

MTIV

Reaction score
AllDeaf.com does not work with Safari Browser. Bummer that I have to use I.E to use this site now... Specially since Safari follows W3C better than most browsers available on the market.

Update the coding on your template AllDeaf... It really is not hard to make this site more user friendly.

Kudos to AllDeaf in the new Look :)
MTIV

That's why I never really liked other browsers. Internet Explorer is more widespread. Netscape and Safari aren't. I've struggled a lot just to create a few nice webpages for my class project because the teacher wanted them to work on Netscape and Internet Explorer. Every webpage I created for that class worked on Internet Explorer on the first try. However, more than half of it didn't work on Netscape. I only know 1 out of 100 people who actually use Netscape... and those people don't even know how to use the internet. They use Netscape cuz the icon is just sitting there on the desktop when they use the computer. I agree that websites should be user friendly, but with the features offered... many things will surely fail W3C expectations. If you wanted AllDeaf to follow W3C expectations, then we would probably have to remove a whole lot of features and that would really make AllDeaf less enjoyable! Ugh!

Interesting....never heard of Safari -- but I've used Opera and it works well with this site -- same with Netscape, but not on this version as I've not tried it yet. I'm currently on my son's pc which is my hubby's old puter. :P Using Explorer atm.

I have 2 Macs and 2 PCs here in the Office. (yep burning the midnight oil) anyway... While on my break I decided to logon to AllDeaf. On both Macs the G5 Dual 2Ghz (not that it applys to my point) running Safari I was unable to get AllDeaf to show content but only show the title of the page.

Usability should be a key interest in running any forum because the user base has a wide range of user skills.

While some may say Mac's show a 5% market share... (Old stats BTW) the user base is growing. W3C standards where actually established by Microsoft, but as the standards became more complex Microsoft bailed to take the short way around. M$ has lost a lot of industry respect... blah blah this is not a political education.. my point is though... usability would be nice.

It does not take much at all to update templates used in this Forum software to make this site work across the board. I develop sites for a living as well as SEO/SEM. Having a solid HTML base code that is clean will drive more traffic to this forum.

It was just an observation though... I can access this site by other methods.. that is fine. I thought this area of the forum would spark some conversation in the importance of usability.

Cheers all!

I am surprised to hear that Safari does not work... I do not have a problem with any browser so far. Perhaps, you might need to update the new version. I still like my Internet Explorer 5.2.3. Most browsers are good. I use IE for saving files. The Safari does not do well in saving files because it does not save some images or pictures. That is pretty weird.

webexplorer said:
I am surprised to hear that Safari does not work... I do not have a problem with any browser so far. Perhaps, you might need to update the new version. I still like my Internet Explorer 5.2.3. Most browsers are good. I use IE for saving files. The Safari does not do well in saving files because it does not save some images or pictures. That is pretty weird.

IE's features are nice, but it's not fast as Safari. :| I still stick with Safari. oh well...

Back