all about diversity- this is awesome in so many ways.

missywinks

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIpRRZvnJg[/ame]

I thought this was a very versatile way to explain diversity and creative in its application to life. its worth watching!

go to youtube and type in "instruction manual for life" for different languages- it is available in german and portugese.

That is a really interesting story about friendship and enemies. I cannot say anymore until you watch the movie and figure it out. :) Thanks for sharing, Missywinks!

What an awesome and powerful video, missywinks! Thanks for posting it. It is really a shame that those who need it's message the most seem to be immune to it.

So this parable teaches us that there is room for oralists, mainstream integration, and no one true way? :)

Exactly!

I went to an open house at my college last week and participated in a debate. The topic was "Cochlear Implants in the Deaf Culture."

One "potential" student simply said "Ban CIs!"

I replied.. "Ban CI then we ban ASL!"

I tried to show that the CI is merely a communication tool in the toolbox whereas it is just a hammer and we can't be satisfied having a hammer in the toolbox only. We need to have the pliers, screwdrivers and others.. hence the full toolbox in communication.

The professors had to cut in & save the debate for actual classtime. I cannot wait until classtime starts in the fall.

It is very thought provoking but yet, also inspirational as well.

I mean, with the diversity - we all in life have to look at it in different ways than just staying on one way track.

Thanks for sharing this, Missywinks. :)

Exactly!

I went to an open house at my college last week and participated in a debate. The topic was "Cochlear Implants in the Deaf Culture."

I tried to show that the CI is merely a communication tool in the toolbox whereas it is just a hammer and we can't be satisfied having a hammer in the toolbox only. We need to have the pliers, screwdrivers and others.. hence the full toolbox in communication.

The professors had to cut in & save the debate for actual classtime. I cannot wait until classtime starts in the fall.

Agreed. I think the overriding message inthis video is that you have to look past your own particular arrangement of drawers in the cupboard to see that other arrangements are just as effective and just as useful for that particular individual. It is simply a matter of making the effort to understand why their drawers are arranged as they are.

BTW..I'm certain that you will enjoy those classroom debates as much as I did as a student, and do now as a teacher. I love getting students to debate and question their positions.

We may not like the order or arrangements of one person's drawers but it doesn't mean we have to look down that person or it shouldn't prevent us from learning about that person's background. IE. the Indigo drawer or the cupboard being in the bedroom.

We need to get to know other people more before we decide to do judging hence my signature - ask questions before we do assumptions.

"The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit"

Wade Davis

one of my favorite quotes

We may not like the order or arrangements of one person's drawers but it doesn't mean we have to look down that person or it shouldn't prevent us from learning about that person's background. IE. the Indigo drawer or the cupboard being in the bedroom.

We need to get to know other people more before we decide to do judging hence my signature - ask questions before we do assumptions.

Bingo.

"The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit"

Wade Davis

one of my favorite quotes

Wonderful quote.

So this parable teaches us that there is room for oralists, mainstream integration, and no one true way? :)

exactly.

but at the same time, parents who are raising their children to be oral need to have an open mind about other options in case their own child does not benefit from being oral or from being mainstreamed. i guess my attitude is.....whatever works for the child, stick to it. i would like to think the deaf community welcomes all.

its just all about the attitude and accepting one another.

exactly.

but at the same time, parents who are raising their children to be oral need to have an open mind about other options in case their own child does not benefit from being oral or from being mainstreamed. i guess my attitude is.....whatever works for the child, stick to it. i would like to think the deaf community welcomes all.

its just all about the attitude and accepting one another.

:) I was joking a little.

In real life, I have found a lot of acceptance with my partial toolbox and bad PSE. ;)

Exactly!

I agree with you. i think the attitude where people are against individuals with cochlear implants is dangerous especially for the deaf community because if we were all to have that kind of attitude, deaf culture/community would die out because more and more deaf children are getting implanted and that will have an impact on the deaf community in the future years to come.

It is very thought provoking but yet, also inspirational as well.

I mean, with the diversity - we all in life have to look at it in different ways than just staying on one way track.

Thanks for sharing this, Missywinks. :)

yw. the world would be a boring place if we were all the same, wouldn't it? :lol:

Agreed. I think the overriding message inthis video is that you have to look past your own particular arrangement of drawers in the cupboard to see that other arrangements are just as effective and just as useful for that particular individual. It is simply a matter of making the effort to understand why their drawers are arranged as they are.

BTW..I'm certain that you will enjoy those classroom debates as much as I did as a student, and do now as a teacher. I love getting students to debate and question their positions.

:gpost:

Very interesting.

BTW, some of these cupboards looked cute!

Great video! I enjoyed watching it. It's very simple yet seems to have an universial appeal.

Back