All about diesel power!

Deafsmog. your correct that the BEW engines are having camshaft wear. not all of them do.. some do.. mine has 160,000 miles now on my 2005 VW jetta TDI and it has no cam wear.

timing belt is no big deal.. special tools are nothing more than lock up pin, 6 mm hex wrench you can buy tools and belt & water pump for $250.00
Vag com is used to check injector timing after done it should be 0.0 to 0.5 for Jetta while Passat seem to like 0,5 to 1.0 if the lock up pin slides out freely your about spot on..

the dealers and shops ask about $1200-$1600 to do it. it takes me about 4 hours to do. not really difficult to do. Virbration is more likely rubber on motor mounts getting old / aging. the clutches are good.

I think I read the forum about updated valve lifters fix the soft lifters on model year 2006, they says camshaft must replace when use updated valve lifters.

You did timing belt job on the BEW engine yourself? Curious.....

Even the dealer replaced new dog biscuit mounts to fix engine vibration problems because they doesn't want to replace defective Dual Mass Flywheel under warranty as they pray the warranty expired then they can do the DMF replacements. Same as other dealerships in anywhere.

It's true about lubricants.

Diesel fuel is a lubricant. Gasoline is a solvent. What would you rather spray on your cylinder wall?
while there is some lubercation properties provided by diesel its oil that lubercates the cylinder walls... not the fuel..

I think I read the forum about updated valve lifters fix the soft lifters on model year 2006, they says camshaft must replace when use updated valve lifters.

You did timing belt job on the BEW engine yourself? Curious.....

Even the dealer replaced new dog biscuit mounts to fix engine vibration problems because they doesn't want to replace defective Dual Mass Flywheel under warranty as they pray the warranty expired then they can do the DMF replacements. Same as other dealerships in anywhere.

yes, I did the timing belt myself... one handed I'm left arm amputee. not hard to do..

Deafsmog tech is correct. if you drove one you'd be surprised. while its horsepower is lower than the gasoline version of the same car, it's tourqe is much higher... torque is what gives the car its accelaration...or power..

I wish,..... I drove old diesel vehicles for road test, real POS. But I did smogged newer diesel vehicles but can't drive it for road test because the consumers waited for their cars. If a consumer drop a newer diesel vehicle for smog check and no hurry then I will drive it for road test to see what performance looks like.

while there is some lubercation properties provided by diesel its oil that lubercates the cylinder walls... not the fuel..

Dude, it is not just the oil. Diesel fuel AND oil do lubercation on the cylinder. But there is no way oil on the top of cylinder wall and piston head. Again, it was book said that.

Research again.

Dude, it is not just the oil. Diesel fuel AND oil do lubercation on the cylinder. But there is no way oil on the top of cylinder wall and piston head.

Research again.

I think I feel some funny with diesel oil uses to lubricate the cylinder walls and piston rings.... Does the diesel spray (from injector) into the prechamber when the piston reach the TDC OR before TDC? I forget one. I think I go back to the diesel school..:giggle:

Logically this does not make sense, higher compression equals higher stress on engine and with more stress, it should have shorten life but nope. It is still because the Diesel itself does not vaporize like gasoline counterparts does. That is big difference.

since it's higher compression, it's better built as he said... which means engine's tougher and more durable than gas engine.

I just learn that the orignally name of these kind of engine was "Atmospheric Gas Engine". Later changed to Diesel. The reason for this original title is that it does not require spark plugs but requires atmospheric elements which is heat up then compress the hot air, Diesel fuel react to that elements causing combustion process.
Other interesting that it was intended for manufacturers that depends on steam engines. Diesel too over because of its efficient, steam engine has efficient of 10%, meaning 90% goes into thin air as waste. Diesel increase that efficient and it was huge single cylinder engine with flywheel, Diesel cars were introduced long after the inventor passed away.

correct - diesel engine relies on heat for optimal performance.

I think I feel some funny with diesel oil uses to lubricate the cylinder walls and piston rings.... Does the diesel spray (from injector) into the prechamber when the piston reach the TDC OR before TDC? I forget one. I think I go back to the diesel school..:giggle:

I googled the diesel engines, the injector(s) fires fuel into the compression stroke at TDC, seem not do anything with cylinder walls and rings. Only motor oil will lubricate the moving pistons and rings.

Other reason why Diesel engine last longer is that it does not run as fast as Gasoline engines does. I usually cruising at 1500 RPM on highways, Gasoline would go faster than that.

Other reason why Diesel engine last longer is that it does not run as fast as Gasoline engines does. I usually cruising at 1500 RPM on highways, Gasoline would go faster than that.

depends on gearing... my TDI I run any where from 2000 to 3500 rpms on highway redline is 5000 RPMs

go to VW dealer.. test drive the new TDI Diesel... you'd think it was a gasline engine...

Its not depending, Diesel has lower redline than gasoline, and it is harder to reach higher RPM on Diesel than Gasoline.

BTW. I own Diesel truck, and former owner VW diesel Jetta too.

depends on gearing... my TDI I run any where from 2000 to 3500 rpms on highway redline is 5000 RPMs

go to VW dealer.. test drive the new TDI Diesel... you'd think it was a gasline engine...

Well, since I work for Enterprise. I've some seen gas cars run at 1500-1800 rpm at 5th gear on highways. Some even have 6th gear. It depends on gearing. A Chevy HHR shows 3500 rpm at 70 mph. My car is a bit less than the HHR at 70 mph.

I'm speaking comparison in general. Diesel does have lower RPM requirement to provide energy needed. Remember Diesel has more energy content than Gas, thus has enough power in lower RPM than Gas does.

Diesel tend to provide twice of torque than Gas.

Well, since I work for Enterprise. I've some seen gas cars run at 1500-1800 rpm at 5th gear on highways. Some even have 6th gear. It depends on gearing. A Chevy HHR shows 3500 rpm at 70 mph. My car is a bit less than the HHR at 70 mph.

I'm speaking comparison in general. Diesel does have lower RPM requirement to provide energy needed. Remember Diesel has more energy content than Gas, thus has enough power in lower RPM than Gas does.

Diesel tend to provide twice of torque than Gas.

I already know that. :)

Semi trucks with a 11-12 liter 6 inline turbo diesels can reach 1,500 torque at 1,300 rpm or so. The redline is only 2,200 rpm.

Back