Alarm Clocks?

Glynn

Reaction score
What are the best waking devices for the deaf and hard of hearing?
I've been looking at alarm clocks that use vibrations as the main stimulus.
Has anyone used such products? Do they work? What are the advantages
and disadvantages of particular ones ( I've seen pads that go under the
pillow and watch style versions).

Really need information.

Thanks.

I have a vibration clock alarm that I brought from Harris Communication which products for the deaf, and hard of hearing, prices are varies, I brought mine for 50.00, It's a vibration that you put under your pillow with a wire that goes to the clock, it comes with night-time light so you could see what time it is during the dark. (That goes with batteries not plug in) I've had it for five years now.

Go to Google and type in: Harris Communications - products for deaf, deafness, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, and hearing loss. Ask them for a free device booklet to ship to your home, so you can decide what vibration clock alarm you would want. ;)

Does it actually wake you up? I'm a pretty heavy sleeper. How powerful are the vibrations, and have you ever found yourself sleeping in because the things ended up on the floor - is there any way to secure it in place?

I have a vibrating alarm clock like Cheri, but mine is "Shake Awake Bed Buzz" (it looks like a tabletop digital clock with big red numbers on it and it vibrates to wake you up by a "buzzer" you put under your pillow - just like Cheri had explained in her post).
It does actually wake me up every morning and the vibration is very powerful. :) You can set it to "noise alarm and vibration", "vibration only", or "noise alarm only"....I was told that the noise alarm is VERY LOUD! LOL
I got it from either Harris Communication or ADCO Hearing Products...not sure which. :)

What is it like to be woken up by your pillow shaking - is it an unpleasant way to wake up? Can you feel the device through the pillow (when its not on)?

Glynn said:
Does it actually wake you up? I'm a pretty heavy sleeper. How powerful are the vibrations, and have you ever found yourself sleeping in because the things ended up on the floor - is there any way to secure it in place?

Yep mine does wake me up very easy, It shakes the whole pillow and even the bed too. :lol: I never overslept with that alarm clock nor ever fell out of my pillow case. I don't know how much moments you make through the night if you are all over the place on the bed, then that might be a problem for you. :giggle: But, like I said there a lot more you could choose from, just get a booklet and choose the best one for you. ;)

Glynn said:

I'm a VERY heavy sleeper. and the vibrating alarm clock I have works very well. I put the "hocky puck" vibrator under the top matress and the whole bed shakes when it goes off. I've never slept through it, (If I do, call a dr I'm probably near death or in a coma ;) ) I'll sleep right through audio alarms though.
(when I was living in a dorm a few years ago I had an old radio alarm clock,, the beeping it made wasn't sufficient, so I switched the radio to AM and adjusted the dial between stations and turned the volume all the way up. -- Did a great job if waking up the guy 1 floor above me, and my RA when people complained, but I'd sleep right though it. Though it did wake me up once in a while.)

Vocational Rehabilitation paid for mine, it was about $80 and we got it from Harris communications.. so go to their website and pick out one that you think would work well for you.

Even a vibrating alarm clock won't keep you from turning it off and going back to sleep... and if you've had a history of your alarm clock ending up in odd places, I'd secure the thing to a desk or something. The cord from the vibrator to the clock is really long and you shouldn't have a problem with putting the clock in a good place out of reach (so you don't abuse the snooze button ) The cood can come unplugged very easily but I just have it tucked away so that it dosn't get tripped over or stepped on and it's never been an issue.
--
this is the one I have
http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1140_42_123&products_id=1228

A heavy duty vibrator that goes between the mattress and box spring is your best bet...your pillow can end up in the floor and then you over sleep...

I have had problems with the hockey pucks....not working after a few months....so I am now buying a Sonic Alert SB1000...to try....

A Tip for you all.....

If you can find or buy a Office Chair Vibrator pad that you put in a office chair....held in place with strips...and your Clock has a wall plug in type plug on the back....this will work great for putting under the mattress...make sure you tape the heat switch in the off position...I have used this for the last 5 years and it still works......it was found in a yard sale for 3 bucks

need more info. or maybe a picture....let me know

Glynn....you may want to consider a clock that can do more then one thing....like alert you to Phone, Doorbell and child crying ...

So please do check out the Sonic Alert site ...to get some Ideas as to what you can buy....

Hope this helps

I once had a job while I was in college, during the summer, at a bakery. I had to get up at 2:00 am to go to work. At the time, I had a clock radio and I use to set the alarm clock on radio mode and turn the volume all the way up (I can't hear the alarm with my hearing aid off). My little brother's bedroom was next door and every once in a while I would not wake-up. :beer: :zzz: My brother would wake me up (usually by hitting me). Once, he said, he was going to design me an alarm clock that would have two electrical probes attached to my big toes and when the alarm clock goes off, it would send a massive jolt and wake me up. :shock: Nice!

Thanks for the information on deaf alarm clocks. I think I will get one.

i have alarm with vibrator for my bedroom
i have travel a vibrater

one time i had a travel virbrator alarm that not work so my brother fixed it for me he is engineer and it went off STRONG and it still go strong for 10 years

smile

Back