Airport Security

DizzyDon62

Reaction score
Airport Security

This new full body scanner is it safe for those of us who use Cochlear Implants, as it is some type of imaging system? I understand the need for it with the ongoing threat from their terrorists and that alone makes me not want to fly anymore. So my Question is has anyone gone through or been asked to go through one of these new scanners yet?

Thanks, Don

I emailed them while they where both on holiday and I am waiting for a reply thats all.

it's like an ultrasound they said on tv. And this body scanner is optional to the pat down ...i'd just be patted down instead of going thru unnecessary radiation unless I really had no choice.

Security in airport are getting too far much. More delay, mean we have to be prepare in advance and then we wait bit longer to get actual board in airplane. sheesh, why can't you die, terrorist?

I've stated this in other thread - this full-body scanner CANNOT see inside your body. It only see what's ON your body, not IN your body. It is NOT an x-ray device.

I have CI. I asked to Audiologist about scanner for body. I have the phonak and nucleus ID to show security prove it. You have to remove the sound processor and coil/magnet before enter the scanner. I don't think it would affect to electrode. That is good question about magnet. Just ask the audiologist.

My only problem is the guy doing the pat down could be some slob getting his rocks off. I'm sure comments are passed amongst his coworkers about who he got to pat down that day. Unfortunately, there's no way to get around it.

My only problem is the guy doing the pat down could be some slob getting his rocks off. I'm sure comments are passed amongst his coworkers about who he got to pat down that day. Unfortunately, there's no way to get around it.

a male officer cannot pat down a female. that's why every checkpoint has female officer.

Jiro, that certainly makes me feel better. And do only females do the full body scan of females?

Jiro, that certainly makes me feel better. And do only females do the full body scan of females?

oh I don't know about that. That's a very good question. I'm wondering if they alternate between male and female TSA agent depending on gender of traveler going thru body scanner.

but for pat-down, there are female TSA agents doing that to female travelers.

I contacted the manufacturer of my CI which is Advanced Bionics. Based on what they know about the technology of these scanners, they don't anticipate problems however since no testing has been done it's not known/confirmed how the implant will be affected. They reccommended that I take the conservative approach and request a pat down until testing is done to confirm how the implant is affected by the scanners.

JC

I am sure, if these scanner do have an adverse effect on CIs, you can get a medical waiver to excuse yourselves from going through them.

Luckily right now it's strictly on a voluntary basis. Nobody is "required" to go thru the scanners. At least for now. . .

JC

Does anyone know if these scanners affect HAs. It says in my HAs instruction booklet not to wear them if you are having an X-ray?

Does anyone know if these scanners affect HAs. It says in my HAs instruction booklet not to wear them if you are having an X-ray?

it's a very very low-grade x-ray device. It only bounces off on your skin, NOT THRU YOUR SKIN - meaning it does not see thru your body. I'm sure the booklet was talking about x-ray at hospital because it's a high-grade x-ray device. I guess we'll have to wait and see the statement from HA companies regarding airport scanner

More and more strict security will chase more people off to ride trains or drive or whatever...not cross country, I mean like for example California to Washington.

More and more strict security will chase more people off to ride trains or drive or whatever...not cross country, I mean like for example California to Washington.

good!! Train's more fun!!!! who wants to sit on CRAMPY chair ALL DAY???? at least on train, you can walk around and not get subjected to bullshit security screening!

good!! Train's more fun!!!! who wants to sit on CRAMPY chair ALL DAY???? at least on train, you can walk around and not get subjected to bullshit security screening!

yeah, that's very true for sure. Sometimes I have hard time picturing a female security patting on a very large lady....wouldn't that make her uncomfortable? Thanks to those terrorists made things worse. :roll:

Back