Airport of full body scanners and enhanced pat-downs >>VOTE???

Which do you want about the TSA's new full body scanners and enhanced pat-downs?

• Both acceptable

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Pat downs body

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Scanners

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Hate both the scanners and the pat downs!

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Other opinion.. which I will post below

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Not decided yet!

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
Hope you enjoy this one.....cute...........where is it all going to end????????????? :giggle: :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qdb6wC0Iz4]YouTube - Grandma Got Molested At The Airport[/ame]

Ooooooook. I cede the debate to your resourceful argument. Their are no terrorist. There are no terrorist. There are no terroist. ( click heels 3x. Toto where are you)

Following this line of logic, if I made the statement that it is unnecessary for one to spend money to take additional measures to protect themselves from being struck by lightning, does that mean I am claiming that people are never struck by lightning?

funny-pictures-cat-adds-fur-to-your-scanner.jpg

I will face either xray scanner or pats down at Newark Liberty International Airport on this xmas eve. :eek3:

reviving this old thread -

Airport body scanners: Are they safe? - CNN.com
Airport body scanners: Are they safe?

Washington (CNN) -- Radiation from airport body scanners penetrates organs beneath the skin but at low doses that meet national standards, according to a study by Marquette University's Department of Biomedical Engineering.

But the study's author, professor Taly Gilat-Schmidt, said the research does not answer the biggest question on travelers' minds: Are scanners safe? She said more independent research is needed.

The Marquette study subjected government and vendor data to sophisticated computer modeling to estimate the radiation doses travelers receive when they are scanned by backscatter machines, one of two types of imagers used to detect weapons at security checkpoints.

The Transportation Security Administration has maintained that the machines are safe, exposing travelers to about the same radiation they receive by flying about two minutes at cruising altitude. A passenger would have to receive more than 17,000 screenings in a year -- about 47 screenings a day, 365 days a year -- to exceed government standards, the TSA says.

The Marquette study says that the backscatter dose is "comparable" to one minute of exposure to cosmic radiation and considerably lower than radiation levels of other X-ray procedures, such as a mammogram. But it balks at calling the exposures safe, saying cosmic and backscatter radiation are different and that both the risks and benefits of backscatter need to be quantified.

Experts: Body scanning 'woefully inadequate' abroad

John Sedat, a University of California, San Francisco, professor of biochemistry and biophysics, is against the TSA's use of backscatter technology. He criticized the Marquette report, saying it was based on TSA data instead of independent testing of machines.

"It's a valid criticism," responded Gilat-Schmidt. "I think that's valid, and we put that criticism (in the paper). But that's how research is. It's not the whole enchilada. It's one step; not the whole step."

"I think it's very important to have independent studies," she said.

Gilat-Schmidt said that she goes through backscatter X-ray machines, but "I don't feel comfortable putting my kids through them."

"That's because in the medical imaging community, it's always stressed that the (radiation) dosage should be as low as possible. And in this case, the lowest possible is not going through them. There's an alternative technology out there," she said. Two options are millimeter wave machines, which use radio waves, and physical pat-downs.

The Marquette paper will be published in the June issue of Medical Physics, an international journal of medical physics research and practice, produced by the American Association of Physicists in Medicine.

The research was conducted by Marquette student Michael Hoppe with Gilat-Schmidt's assistance.

A TSA spokesman said the agency was aware of the Marquette study but had not yet done a thorough analysis of it.

last weekend when I traveled to Dallas... at Boston airport, I told TSA agents that I refused to go thru body scanner. not a first time I refused to go thru body scanner.

When I fly with my dog, he has to go through the bag scanner in his crate and I pray to God that he doesn't get cancer from it. But they say thy have to make sure he doesn't have explosives or drugs in his body.:shock:

I went through one of those new scanners recently. there is a screen on the way out you can see what it scanned. its basically a solid white silhouette of your body. it doesn't show any x-ray type appearance at all. so I think that is an improvement. If you have something metal on you it places a yellow box over the area on your body silhouette where it detected the metal. I know this cuz it picked up my CI implant and I wasn't wearing my processors. almost never use them. there was a box on the screen by the left side of my head.

HOWEVER, I am questioning the effectiveness of the scanners as it showed nothing on the right side of my head and I have Bilateral implants...

When I fly with my dog, he has to go through the bag scanner in his crate and I pray to God that he doesn't get cancer from it. But they say thy have to make sure he doesn't have explosives or drugs in his body.:shock:
I take it that is a regular dog not a service dog? I wonder what they do with service animals?

Before I decide to take pat-downs. First, I'll wear same cloths for 2 days from work-out and never take shower for 3 days. Let them enjoy smell me while they pat-downs on me. After the security, I go to bathroom and clean some as best as I could and switch to fresh cloths. WINNING!

Before I decide to take pat-downs. First, I'll wear same cloths for 2 days from work-out and never take shower for 3 days. Let them enjoy smell me while they pat-downs on me. After the security, I go to bathroom and clean some as best as I could and switch to fresh cloths. WINNING!
I guess you travel alone alot!:giggle:

I went through one of those new scanners recently. there is a screen on the way out you can see what it scanned. its basically a solid white silhouette of your body. it doesn't show any x-ray type appearance at all. so I think that is an improvement. If you have something metal on you it places a yellow box over the area on your body silhouette where it detected the metal. I know this cuz it picked up my CI implant and I wasn't wearing my processors. almost never use them. there was a box on the screen by the left side of my head.

HOWEVER, I am questioning the effectiveness of the scanners as it showed nothing on the right side of my head and I have Bilateral implants...

right. it's not an x-ray device like at hospital. it's a backscatter. one major flaw with this device is that if you put an object outside your figure line (ie. a gun between your arm and body like shoulder strap holster), the scanner can't see it. it's a major security flaw.

Let me think of this way.... Why do men or especially women wearing string, thinsy bikini at the beach in front of 1000 strangers.... he or she doesn't mind at all... walking, strutting, bouncy breasts and such, he or she exposed 98 percents of their skins... whereas...mmm... body scanner are very obscured, just showing more like ugly silvery color on the screen. He, she objected?? Complained? Angry? Disgusted? Wait a minutes... why are you sooo comfortable at the beach??? You know?

Mmm... really.. the whole point is to be sure there's no danger to airline. We already saw what happen to airline bombers and it did happen but luckily that passengers are safe compare to the people on the beach? If beach are not safe at all, because men or women raped other people due to too much exposure to their skins? Should we put a new law that men should wear t-shirt over it and women only wear one piece bathing suit, banned 2 pieces or string bathing suits? Same way with scanner?? Yes or No?

Really, it's all about safety, is to be sure that passengers get home safely with his or her family. We already experiences how many lives lost during 9/11 and they simply complained about scanner or pat down... mmmm..let invites TSA to the beach...they will be having fun scanning people with skinny bathing suits...you know?

Government are doing their job to protect people...

Pat down...yes. it's very uncomfortable but scanner...just think about the beach.. Just imangine yourself wearing string bathing suit...

Let me think of this way.... Why do men or especially women wearing string, thinsy bikini at the beach in front of 1000 strangers.... he or she doesn't mind at all... walking, strutting, bouncy breasts and such, he or she exposed 98 percents of their skins... whereas...mmm... body scanner are very obscured, just showing more like ugly silvery color on the screen. He, she objected?? Complained? Angry? Disgusted? Wait a minutes... why are you sooo comfortable at the beach??? You know?

Mmm... really.. the whole point is to be sure there's no danger to airline. We already saw what happen to airline bombers and it did happen but luckily that passengers are safe compare to the people on the beach? If beach are not safe at all, because men or women raped other people due to too much exposure to their skins? Should we put a new law that men should wear t-shirt over it and women only wear one piece bathing suit, banned 2 pieces or string bathing suits? Same way with scanner?? Yes or No?

Really, it's all about safety, is to be sure that passengers get home safely with his or her family. We already experiences how many lives lost during 9/11 and they simply complained about scanner or pat down... mmmm..let invites TSA to the beach...they will be having fun scanning people with skinny bathing suits...you know?

Government are doing their job to protect people...

Pat down...yes. it's very uncomfortable but scanner...just think about the beach.. Just imangine yourself wearing string bathing suit...

one major flaw in your argument - you're assuming that everybody at airport is comfortable with wearing skimpy bathing suits at beach or nudity at beach.

and there's a healthy & medical concern about this backscatter xray.

one major flaw in your argument - you're assuming that everybody at airport is comfortable with wearing skimpy bathing suits at beach or nudity at beach.

and there's a healthy & medical concern about this backscatter xray.

Oh, no.. I didn't say everybody... but they already experienced what it's like to be on the beach. If the don't like it, then don't go to the beach. If they don't like scanning... then drive a car.

As far as medical concern, there's no report so far about exposure. My father is a retired Dr of Radiobiology Research/Nuclear Medicine, he stated that Airport scanner are much lower exposure than the X-ray. The amount of radiation penetrate to the skin are much lower than the using mamogram penetration to the women's breast.

We should be doing what Israel does but that got shut down due to Civil liberties claiming racial profiling... However it works. as Israel has not had a problem in decades. They observe the behaviors and appearances of passengers and are highly trained in recognizing potential terrorists.

There are worser things than a pat down or a scanner...had a colonscopy...and my arse was invaded...women have mammograms...their breast are squeezed with a machine...men have prospate (cq) exams...they squeeze ur balls....womem have pap smears...babies....the list goes on and on....

It's a necessity, and one that could save ur life.

Back