Airline Asks Passengers to Empty Bladders Before Boarding Flights

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Japan's All Nippon Airways is Trying to Reduce Weight on Environmentally-Friendly Flights

Just when you thought airlines couldn't do anything else to lighten the load, here comes a new idea: Japan's All Nippon Airways is now asking passengers on select flights to empty their bladders before boarding.

That's right: at the gate ANA staffers encourage fliers to make that one final dash to the restroom to expel some of that extra weight.

"If the flight is lighter, we use less gasoline which is good for the environment," ANA North America spokeswoman Jean Saito told ABC News.

It might not seem like much, but the human bladder can hold up to 16 ounces before the urge to urinate. That's about 1.1 pounds of fluid. If all 216 passengers on an ANA Boeing 767 had pretty full bladders, that extra urine would weigh about 240 pounds.

Just add it to the list of weight and cost-saving cuts the airline industry has made recently. Airlines have already taken away blankets, magazines and even televisions on flights all in the name of reducing weight to save fuel and of course money.

"I think it's going to win them more humor on late night television than anywhere else," said Edmund S. Greenslet of The Airline Monitor. "Clearly everybody is looking pinch pennies if not nickels and dimes but this strikes me as a bit much."

"It's seems to me that if there is money to be saved in terms of operations, there's probably some more fruitful places to look," he added.

Stay Up to Date on the Latest Travel Trends from ABC News on Twitter

Passengers can be at least assured that even for those who can't "hold it," ANA won't be charging them for the bathroom, an idea that Ireland's Ryanair has been entertaining.

Back in February, Ryanair CEO Michael O'Leary said the airline was considering charging passengers at some point one British pound -- about $1.60 -- to use the toilet while on the plane. The low-cost airline's thinking goes like this: not everybody uses a bathroom during a flight so why should everybody have to pay for it.

ANA's latest effort is part of a month-long trial called "e-flight." The "e" stands for ecology and the airline is trying to make flying as environmentally friendly as possible. Instead of plastic cups, the airline will use cups derived from plant materials. Paper napkins will come from non-wood products. Passengers will learn more about the environment during the in-flight entertainment.

But the environmental push starts long before then.

While at the gate, ANA staff will introduce the flight as an e-flight and request that passengers lighten their baggage and to go to the restroom before boarding, according to ANA spokesman Justin C. Massey.

"I think it's bit redundant to ask people to relieve themselves," said Rick Seaney, CEO of airfare site FareCompare.com and an ABCNews.com columnist. "Most people, including my family, do it anyway because they hate the cleanliness of the lavatory."

The e-flight is being tested on domestic flights between Tokyo's Haneda International Airport, Okinawa's Naha Airport and Chitose Airport and on one international route between Tokyo's Narita International Airport and Singapore's Changi Airport.

The test period is from Oct. 1 through Oct. 31 and the airline said it will review whether it wants to continue the program.

Airline Asks Passengers to Empty Bladders Before Boarding Flights - ABC News

LOL... I wouldn't care since I use the bathroom anyway before boarding a plane ;)

What if the gate you board from doesn't have a restroom? Looks like you're screwed then! :eek:

I sure no one got a 240 pounds bladder...

Would sucks if all that effort to void bladders went to naught.

I cannot even hold an ounce of urine in my bladder. Even if I only drank half an ounce of soda, I gotta go take a piss! I piss like 75790998668575760 times a day! I have an overactive bladder. And no, I'm not diabetic, I already been tested for it and no diabetes!

Wow!

Asking a person to go pee before flying is like asking a child to go pee.

The child will say "Dunt hafta pee!" 5-10 minutes later.. when it's much too late, they have to poop!!

It's like old fashion, parents tell us to make sure we pee before we go on trip. That way they save our trouble.

However, for airplane, that could save the weight. lol

It doesn't make sense to send everyone to the bathroom at once. The womens line would be long and slow! I always go before flying anyway. Those of you with stronger bladders can wait, can't you? :giggle:

That woman is smiling... while the guy is looking down with a surprised face like "what you got down there" kind of look.

:rofl:

Tranny!

That woman is smiling... while the guy is looking down with a surprised face like "what you got down there" kind of look.

:rofl:

Tranny!

lol!!!! I just checked the photo again. I didn't think of that! In my head, it was "let's pee together. lol!!!!!"

I can see the flight attendants asking each passenger before getting in their seat....."Gotta pee-pee"?.....doo-doo?.....Com'on now....let's go pee-pee.....

Probably have signs all over the plane too...."We don't Pee in ur pool, so don't pee on our plane"

I can see the flight attendants asking each passenger before getting in their seat....."Gotta pee-pee"?.....doo-doo?.....Com'on now....let's go pee-pee.....

Probably have signs all over the plane too...."We don't Pee in ur pool, so don't pee on our plane"

If I'm already on the plane and I get asked this question, what am I supposed to do? Go back outside, under the plane and "bless" the flight onto one of the tires?

If I'm already on the plane and I get asked this question, what am I supposed to do? Go back outside, under the plane and "bless" the flight onto one of the tires?

:giggle: :giggle: Maybe just asked the attendant if she has an empty soda can or a water bottle??

I don't really know how much of a difference it will make. :P Plus too, if there are flights from US/Canada to Japan, it will be difficult for passengers to hold it for the full 24 hour flight. Not pleasant to be holding pee for a day. If they don't want people to pee, they're also going to have to stop serving drinks.

Find this stupidity new announcement.
Therefore anyone who ask you have to go bathroom before you're going on the boarding!
Seems pretty forcing you, If you have not gone bathroom, Sorry you cannot get into the boarding!
*cough* Wha..a.. joke?
Because of the weight issued. Oh please, Give me a BREAK!

Back