AIDS Vaccine Questions Linger

GarnetTigerMom

Reaction score
AIDS Vaccine Questions Linger

By LINDA A. JOHNSON,AP
Posted: 2007-11-07 22:09:14

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - New data on an experimental AIDS vaccine that failed to work shows volunteers who got the shots were far more likely to get infected with the virus through sex or other risky behavior than those who got dummy shots.

The new details, released Wednesday by drugmaker Merck & Co., don't answer the crucial question of whether failure of the vaccine also spells doom for many similar AIDS vaccines now in testing.

And researchers weren't sure why more of the vaccinated volunteers wound up getting HIV than those who got dummy shots.

"One of the possibilities is that the increase in the number of infections was related to the vaccine," meaning it could have made people more susceptible to HIV infection, said Dr. Keith Gottesdiener, vice president of clinical research at Merck Research Laboratories. He couldn't say how likely that was but said other factors, even coincidence, could be the explanation.

Merck, based in Whitehouse Station, N.J., announced on Sept. 21 that it was stopping the study because the vaccine didn't work. It was a stunning setback in the push to develop an AIDS vaccine.

The vaccine is made from a common cold virus with three synthetic HIV genes tucked inside. It's designed to stimulate the immune system to kill any HIV-infected cells encountered in the future.

However, the researchers found that volunteers with pre-existing immunity to this particular cold virus were much more likely to get infected with HIV if they got the AIDS vaccine than if they got the dummy shot.

Some 3,000 people, mostly gay men and female sex workers, had volunteered to get the experimental vaccine or dummy shots. All were warned to protect themselves from AIDS exposure.

At the time the study was halted in September, Merck said 24 of 741 volunteers who got the vaccine in one segment of testing later developed HIV; 21 of 762 participants who got dummy shots also were infected.

New data released Wednesday showed that to date, 49 of 914 vaccinated men became infected with HIV, compared with 33 of the 922 men who got dummy shots. Only one woman and a small number of heterosexual men were infected.

"In my mind, this doesn't damn anything," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said of the vaccine's failure. "It tells you you need to be very careful with every aspect" of vaccine design and testing. The international testing was partly funded by the National Institutes of Health.

Merck's head of medical affairs for vaccines, Mark Feinberg, said it could be a few years before further data mining and results of other drugmakers' vaccine tests clear up the mystery.

In trading Wednesday, Merck shares fell $1.79, or 3.2 percent, to $54.20 amid a broad decline in the stock markets.

On the Net: Merck & Co., Inc. is a global research-driven pharmaceutical company dedicated to putting patients first.

HIV Vaccine Trials Network: HIV Vaccine Trials Network - Working to prevent AIDS

The best thing to prevent AIDS and HIV is not to have sexual relationship until get marry and have a wonderful life but however!

Some of people might hide something and infected the innocent person is risky.

Good post

The best thing to prevent AIDS and HIV is not to have sexual relationship until get marry and have a wonderful life but however!

Some of people might hide something and infected the innocent person is risky.

Good post

yep, i agree with you. Because some people hide their dieases and not warn the person the plan to have sex with put them at risk for exposure, it like passing on a death sentence because the person with aids or hiv wanted reveage and pass it other person out of spite. that terrible u know.

The best way to protect yourself is good old fashioned common sense- if the person you're getting in bed with cannot show TWO clean STD/HIV screenings, both taken within the prior year, use protection. Problem, solved.

(and don't give me that "condoms break" crap. In the rare event that a well-lubricated condom breaks, you have a one in 2000 chance of contracting HIV.)

The best way to protect yourself is good old fashioned common sense- if the person you're getting in bed with cannot show TWO clean STD/HIV screenings, both taken within the prior year, use protection. Problem, solved.

(and don't give me that "condoms break" crap. In the rare event that a well-lubricated condom breaks, you have a one in 2000 chance of contracting HIV.)

yeah true I agree with your statment. I also concern rapist have aids and pass it on to someone else which need to be stopped. Seems like we got so many angry people in the world today.

Don't forget that Merck is the same company that's pushing for mandatory inoculations of school girls with their HPV vaccine.

http://www.alldeaf.com/861957-post6.html

I find that absolutely disgusting- hey, let's inject 9 year old girls with vaccinations in which we don't even know how long they work, or if they work at all beyond the 4 clinical trial years that showed pleanty-high failure rates. Let's top it off with the "low" 10% incidence of side effects, and throw in the 300$ cost nobody can afford. All this so we can "protect" girls who could obtain the same benefit by learning about responsible non-monogamy, before they have sex.

Back