Aided Hearing Test.

Wirelessly posted

camerachick26 said:
I had an aided test once to figure out if my hearing aids were helping me... With them, your speech discrimination is supposed to be above 90% for them to be doing their job... If it is anything less than that, it really isn't helping you. Or so I've been told. I'm not sure about dB level and aided tests (if it is good or not)...

My hearing aids helps me so much. They did the speech discrimination with their mouths covered. I work in a very busy pharmacy and they all are aware that I can not hear 100%. I combine lip reading with sounds and I do very well. My boss is extremely understanding and backs me up with rude patients. So I know for a fact that HA's helps me.

How should you get 68dB with no aids? That's obviously impossible with your loss, can you please clarify?

What is your speech discrimination score aided? Mine is 0% unaided, will find out on Friday at my CI Evaluation what it is aided. I can almost never not have to read lips so I imagine it's less than 10-15%.

Originally Posted by NaidaUP View Post
I was told my speech score of 68db for both ears with HAs, were really poor. I've been told I should be getting that without hearing aids at the right level but I don't get anything without my HAs.

I've been approved for a CI with my speech score of 68db.
re-read what you quoted..she states it was 68dB WITH ha's

Mine is 0% unaided and 68% with both hearing aids.

When they tried my speech scores without HAs, they blasted the words out at 100db, didn't hear anything.

Good luck for Friday :)

Same here - I would score at absolutely 0% unaided. Totally deaf in both ears without HAs. My last speech discrimination score WITH HAs was 6%.

Wirelessly posted

My hearing aids helps me so much. They did the speech discrimination with their mouths covered. I work in a very busy pharmacy and they all are aware that I can not hear 100%. I combine lip reading with sounds and I do very well. My boss is extremely understanding and backs me up with rude patients. So I know for a fact that HA's helps me.

With HAs, as I was saying above, I get a lot of environmental sounds. I think I even amaze myself sometimes! :lol: I use it to help with lipreading at work. Everyone at my work is very understanding too that I've got limitations in understanding speech, so they never make me attend staff meetings if my interpreter can't come.

Wirelessly posted

AlleyCat said:
Mine is 0% unaided and 68% with both hearing aids.

When they tried my speech scores without HAs, they blasted the words out at 100db, didn't hear anything.

Good luck for Friday :)

Same here - I would score at absolutely 0% unaided. Totally deaf in both ears without HAs. My last speech discrimination score WITH HAs was 6%.

Wirelessly posted

With HAs, as I was saying above, I get a lot of environmental sounds. I think I even amaze myself sometimes! :lol: I use it to help with lipreading at work. Everyone at my work is very understanding too that I've got limitations in understanding speech, so they never make me attend staff meetings if my interpreter can't come.

Having a great group to work with is a major plus.

I just thought, the aided hearing test results is properly why I can't hear birds.

Birds? Man, since I have progressive loss I have noticed that every few years the birds disappear but until this year the Audi could adjust my aids or get stronger aids and suddenly the skies would be filled with birds.

But a few days ago I found myself looking at the clock at noon and wondering where the church bells were. I grew up living a few houses down from a church and despite not hearing it in years I still expect church bells every hour on the hour.

When I saw my new audiologist and she finished the pure tone testing she explained that doing unaided speech testing would be pointless and when I protested, she put my hearing aids back on and asked my fiancé to talk to me from a foot away but she made him cover his mouth.
I think I finally realized that I rely on visual input.

Birds? Man, since I have progressive loss I have noticed that every few years the birds disappear but until this year the Audi could adjust my aids or get stronger aids and suddenly the skies would be filled with birds.

But a few days ago I found myself looking at the clock at noon and wondering where the church bells were. I grew up living a few houses down from a church and despite not hearing it in years I still expect church bells every hour on the hour.

When I saw my new audiologist and she finished the pure tone testing she explained that doing unaided speech testing would be pointless and when I protested, she put my hearing aids back on and asked my fiancé to talk to me from a foot away but she made him cover his mouth.
I think I finally realized that I rely on visual input.

That's good that you can hear birds, if I remember rightly, your high frequency is a lot worse then mine.

Having the SPs maybe helping you as they have a bigger frequency range :)

I think my Audi thought there wasn't much point in doing a aided test as this is the first one I've had in about 5 years. I'm glad he did it as I like seeing what I hear even tho it doesn't tell me as much as the speech scores.

68dB isn't the same as 68%. She may have understood the words at 68dB but that doesn't mean she got 68% of the words correct.

Oh I meant 68%, my bad :) I have no idea what db the words came out tho.

Hadn't even realised I put db, whoops.

Back