Agbell Propaganda Piece In New York Times Blog Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also strongly disagree that North America is a largely English-peaking continent. Many to most people in the world know and use more than one language, only the U.S. is behind in this...

I am speaking about the part of North America that includes the U.S. and Canada and it is largely an English Speaking continent. Canada has a population of 35 million of which only 6.1 speak French, the others speak English, The U.S. has a population of 320 million and of that 320 million 256 million speak English and the other 64 million use a variety of languages as their primary language. If you want to include Mexico which has a population of 122 million, 92% speak Spanish so the total is 112 million. So of the 477 million people on the Continent 182 million don't use English as their primary language, but 295 million do.

whether the child is or is not 'deaf' is not for us to decide. That's for the family and later HIM. To me the term deaf encompasses all types of hearing loss from probably moderate to profound but I wouldn't dare put this child in any sort of category. The point is though that the child IS having problems communicating and hearing and would greatly benefit from sign regardless of his loss; speech and such can be introduced sure but would hope the family will know when it's not working or is not making the kid happy. Deaf with a capital D is something else entirely. I have known quite a few people who have moderate to severe loss to call themselves deaf. I can't say for the one guy I knew whose loss was actually mild as I don't remember anymore. There are those who are profound deaf who will not call themselves deaf at all.

*bows out*
As someone who was mild in one ear and severe in the other as a child, I will bet that this child will do just fine without learning ASL, but if they decide to teach him that's fine too. It's tough to look at this subjectively when you only have one side that you are looking from. Deaf is one thing, hard of hearing is another and mild hearing loss is another. We all see it from our vantage point.

I have done so and you don't want to hear what I have said because it is polar opposite to your way of thinking. I also didn't know you were a mind reader and can tell why this women has written what she has and is also thinking. I know it's hard for you being deaf to understand this, but this child is not deaf and really doesn't need to learn ASL to communicate and if we look back on this child in several years he will probably be like most five year olds getting ready to enter Kindergarten.

well the women who wrote the article used english to write it.(you should know that, after all you wish to force english up every Deafs ass)...words in the case of english...(Signs for the chosen).. are neat things...they convey another neat thing called ideas...(i know we will take it slow)..these ideas believe it or not, can be understood by others, because others know the same language used to convey those very ideas..

so lets start at the beginning shall we...(well close to it anyway)

this may come across as a what did the rabbi say to the anarchist type joke...but its not....here we go..

what did the therapist say to the women?

we can answer this because the women herself told us, with these little neat things called words (i told you about those)...

here it is again...

One friend, a speech therapist whose brother is deaf, told me not to sign at all with Sam because he would use it as a crutch instead of learning to speak. This made sense to me',

look close at those neat things called words...

in english what to you think

not to sign at all

mean?

alos you may be unaware but the decibel loss of the child isnt the issue here for us Deaf...are you arguing if the child was Deaf the therapist would NOT of stated this to the women?

You're answering a question with a question. Just try answering a question just once, pretty please!

is this one of yur "im done with this thread" moments....

or just trolling?

So you are a mind reader. Since we know what this woman said, how exactly are you going to ascertain what this women statements actually are? This is getting more interesting by the minute. We have a discussion and a carnival sideshow all in one.

what do mean?
the women herself told us who she was, she even provided her blog name in the article a link even. she wrote the article posted on the nytblog..

so

thats how we know what she stated, she wrote the article. the words are hers....

if you cant fathom how we know a person writes what that person claimed to write and what that person wrote the piece in (english), no one here can much help you with that...

sorry

liked particularly what you wrote about decibel loss, Hoichi-

We can't change other people's minds or their view... maybe we all should leave it at that.

This discussion is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back