After Wednesday's Train Accident....

Dang, it has been a while since I rode a train, but I agree, they are far safer than cars. About fifty thousand people perish in car accidents in the USA each year, something like that. But you cannot walk around in a car and go to a snack bar, or what have you. Flying is safer, but give me a train trip any time.

Beowulf said:
Dang, it has been a while since I rode a train, but I agree, they are far safer than cars. About fifty thousand people perish in car accidents in the USA each year, something like that. But you cannot walk around in a car and go to a snack bar, or what have you. Flying is safer, but give me a train trip any time.
I just like the ability to sit down and watch outside, or just plug in my laptop and watch a movie or do whatever.

Levonian said:
What exactly does this mean? You always hear about cars getting "stuck" on train tracks—is this the same thing? And how does this happen? Obviously, these cars don’t just happen to stall on top of train tracks—that would be too much of a coincidence. There must be something about train tracks that make them capable of "catching" a car—what is it? And how can it be avoided? Obviously this most recent case was deliberate, but all the other cases I’ve heard about involve cars accidentally getting hit by trains—how does this occur? Does it involve people who are trying to beat the train, and the track "catches" them?

Railroad tracks are higher than a curb when its away from a crossing so a car can't get over them. Twice I have seen a car stuck on railroad tracks and in both cases, they had mistaken the railbed for a road and made a turn. One they turned and started driving, they became stuck and bottomed out on the tracks. The only time tracks are very close to the ground is when when there is a crossing. All other places, they sit up high and its impossible to get a car off of them.

Yes, thanks. After I posted that I started thinking about it, and I was able to figure out the answer for myself. At a railroad crossing, the track is recessed into the asphalt such that the top of the track and the asphalt are at the same level. But at the edge of the road, the asphalt gradually tapers down into the track. So it would seem to me that cars that get stuck are usually the result of somebody driving too close to the edge of the asphalt, and ‘falling into the tracks.’ Another scenario is the one you mentioned, where a driver mistakes the track for a road and makes a right turn off the asphalt and directly into the track, at which point they’re essentially f**ked. I guess the only chance you have at that point is to throw the car in reverse and try to angle it back up the asphalt ramp and steer it off the track. But I’m willing to bet that alcohol plays a BIG role in these types of accidents, so critical thinking is not a readily available commodity to most of the victims of train crossing accidents. So the moral of the story is this: if you’re in a car that gets stuck on the tracks, just get the hell out of the car as soon as you realize what’s happened. I bet a lot of people realize this, but die anyway because they’re trying to save their precious car. :roll:

Pomeranian said:
Good Question. But I remmy long time ago when I first got my license and the track was bumping when I drove over the track. Now it not bumping it was flat better then before and I believe it safer then the bumping one. Cuz the bumping I believe you would get caught under your car. But with flat it doesnt. The only place that have bumping is not on the road it off the road.

Levonian, That what I mean bumping turn into a flat one but the only place that is bumping is off the road. You know what I mean. :D

I wish drivers would not take such chances.

"Train Hits Car in Florence County
Sunday, Apr 30, 2006 - 10:20 PM
Patricia Burkett

Two people are in the hospital after a train hit their car in Florence County. It happened at about five Sunday afternoon near the intersection of Highway 52 and Old Georgetown Road. Authorities say the driver of the car went around the railroad crossing. Officials transported both the driver and a passenger to the hospital. The accident is still under investigation."

The below story is really sad. :(

"Lake City police sift through debris at the scene of a fatal car and train collision after a Summerville woman on the way to her father's funeral was killed Friday. The woman attempted to drive around lowered crossing gates, according to the state Highway Patrol. Sylvia Burgess Smith, 52, died when the Amtrak train, travelling south between Lake City and Kingstree shortly after 6 p.m., slammed into her 2005 GMC Envoy, Highway Patrol said. The sport utility vehicle was pushed several hundred feet down the tracks. No one aboard the train was hurt."

Both recent accidents happened in SC.

Reba said:

Patricia Burkett

Two people are in the hospital after a train hit their car in Florence County. It happened at about five Sunday afternoon near the intersection of Highway 52 and Old Georgetown Road. Authorities say the driver of the car went around the railroad crossing. Officials transported both the driver and a passenger to the hospital. The accident is still under investigation."

"Lake City police sift through debris at the scene of a fatal car and train collision after a Summerville woman on the way to her father's funeral was killed Friday. The woman attempted to drive around lowered crossing gates, according to the state Highway Patrol. Sylvia Burgess Smith, 52, died when the Amtrak train, travelling south between Lake City and Kingstree shortly after 6 p.m., slammed into her 2005 GMC Envoy, Highway Patrol said. The sport utility vehicle was pushed several hundred feet down the tracks. No one aboard the train was hurt."

Hi Reba, That is sad, a double tragedy. My prayers go out to that family. It does not pay to go around the tracks with your car, truck or motorcycle or even your bicycle or even just simple walking around the tracks when a train is incoming. Please just wait for the train to pass then the red and white stripes will go up and flashing red lights will stop and still look both ways to make sure no train boxcars came un-hinged off the hook and are traveling at a high rate of speed or even a low rate of speed too. Remember a boxcar when empty weights about 1 ton and when a boxcar is full to capacity can weigh upwards to 3 tons !!!!!

On a happier note:

I enjoy being on Amtrak and it is alots better than being on Greyhound. From now on it is Amtrak and fly with one of the airlines. I can only be patient with Greyhound for a short ride but long distance by Greyhound, Forget it. Amtrak and fly airlines in comfort. :) :thumb:

I was scared of being on train but I overcome with that fear and now I love being on a train. I want me and Jeremy on a train this summer and go somewhere! :)

Do you have the link for it.. and what part of SC is it?

Reba said:

Patricia Burkett

FelixKat930 said:
I never fly before.. but it's my fear because of 9/11

Hi FelixKat930, This book will help you know what to do then you can overcome your flying fears. The book does not cost that very much but learning from that book will save your life and that of anothers for sure. Your husband can order the book then the both of you can work together and train from the book in the living room at home and pray this situation never has to happen. God Bless ..... :angel:

Link Here ......

FelixKat930 said:
I never fly before.. but it's my fear because of 9/11

i understand you might not be alone there is few ppl who have fear of flying
or fear of have 9/11 happened again

Back