After a pet passes

BLeGal2

Reaction score
After one of your dear pets passes, how long do you wait to get another one?

I had my childhood dog pass away and my father took it the worst. REALLY UPSET. We all were, but it hurt my dad the most. So bad in fact that we bought him a new puppy less than a week after the passing of the other. It was sad, but a relief to see my dad have at least a tiny bit of reassurance.
My best friends dog just passed away maybe 2 or 3 months ago too and she bought a new puppy yesterday. There is just something about going from a house with a dog (you know cuddling, playing, hearing their dog tags[if you can hear them], etc) to having the house be completely empty and silent that is creepy.
I have two dogs of my own right now, and I don't think I could ever live without one. I have always had a dog in my house.
Do you feel the same? How long is your mourning period usually?

I lost my cat a year or so ago myself. She'd been in my life most of my life, and I have to say that I was very able to live on without cats in my life. It helped, however, that my sister had cats.

So far, I've had to put down 5 of my dogs, due to old age or sickness....very heart-breaking as all animal owners know....I grieved for several months, swearing that I would never get another dog.....but I always did!...After "Buffy", age 14, died of breast cancer, it was 4 months before I could get another dog....but so glad I did....My Pomeranian "Anita" is the apple of my eye!....She's a good dog and loves me unconditionally....

We had a dog for 8 years before we moved to take care of my great grandmother and could not bring her. Although she did not pass away, and we found another family to love her, it broke my heart and was the hardest thing for me to leave her behind. We were supposed to get updates on her and never heard a thing from them. It did help that our cat was able to come because she was declawed so we weren't without a pet but our home has not been the same for the last 9 years. I am just now going through the process of waiting and fundraising for a hearing dog, which will be my daughters first animal in our home (besides fish). Just watching my brothers reminds me what has been missing!

After my cat died in his sleep last September, I rescued my Pekingese from the shelter within a week.

We have a limit of three pets at one time, and I am committed to rescue. So I am still mourning the cat, but that is no reason to make an animal who needs a home wait.

There is room to be sad but to still love and care for another at the same time.

After I put my beloved pomeranian down. About 2 1/2 months later I got another dog. Then I had to give her away then about 6 months later I got another one and still have him. I dont think I will ever give him up.

When my dog Spotty passed away in August 2005 it did hurt for me as I had him for almost 15 years.. he was my best buddy and he always gave me the sad puppy eye look when I am sitting on the chair outside and I would ask him what wrong boy and then pat him on the head.. he had cancer the last few years of his life and it didnt stop him from doing what he wanted to do and more.. I did have a few cats as well, among them Pew Pew and Garfield and Jazzy *Pew Pew and Garffy's mama cat* and I loved having them around on the farm. When Pew Pew passed away, I was saddened but I had Garffy and Jazzy so I enjoyed their company till Garfield passed on a couple months before I moved and I had to get Jazzy moved to someone's place so she would be fine there after I moved... I do miss Spotty, Pew Pew and Garfield but I know they would be there for me in spirit.. one day I will be able to get a pet in my own apartment (right now no dog or cats, only fish or birds allowed in this apartment, but the weird thing was the personal care on the 2nd floor of the deaf center apartment has a pet cat there)... I would love to have either a dog or cat to keep me company for sure...

I cannot image life without my pets. All of family pets/horses comes and goes at different times of their/my life therefore I am never without a member of a fur family. All animals that came to me either had died natrually or put down, we never give away apart from horses which is different since I use them for sport but I happen to have 2 older horses, they was here to stay (both since had died of old age) but for young horses it's different.

It does hurt me alot when one of them dies or sold to new home (Horses) I am at the age where I am lone owner of the house and I have 2 cats, 1 dog, it will hurt me alot more since they are "my babies", my companion, their needs are more profound than as a family pet.

Recently I opened my home to a beautiful fluffy black cat as her owners had upped and moved away, left her behind (i couldn't do that!!!!). I took her in and treated her as my own. Once the Vet opens up the road (new Vet) I will take her to make sure she is in good health.

Tough question

My beloved cat passed away on March 4 of this year (6 months ago today, actually) and it was only a couple of months after her death that we adopted another cat. It wasn't like we were looking for another cat. We were at the pet store and the SPCA was having an adoption day. We stopped by to take a look and this black and white tuxedo looked at us and started purring. It was love at first sight. Even though I was still mourning the loss of my precious kitty, I knew there was room in my heart for a new friend that needed a forever home. Sly came home that same day. He, along with our other shelter kitty, a Maine coon we adopted last year, have the run of the house.

Sydney died just 3 weeks short of her 18th birthday. She had been a shelter cat too and I had had her for 15 years at the time of her passing. She was put down because of lymphoma, advanced age and frail condition. She was laid to rest in our yard.

How long to wait is a personal decision and you are the only one who will know when you are ready. Some people, after they lose a pet, may never get another one. Others want to rush right out and adopt one (or two or more).

Your heart and soul will tell you when you are ready. You will know when the time has come for you to open your heart and your home to another pet in need of a forever home.

Sydney's Rainbow Residency at RainbowsBridge.com

lost my old cat last year! she was 22 human years old and died in her sleep
I also rescue a lot of pets
last month I had to take a dog to the vet that someone had shot
the owner was an older lady who lives near us
because we took the dog to the vet right away she is still alive today
and I am currently hand feeding a kitten we found outside yesterday!

one of my deaf friends saw it on our vrs and wants him.
I said great but we'll wait until hes a bit stronger(still has to be fed about every 4 hours )

Back