Afraid

rubiksbunny

Reaction score
It was the weekend of my birthday this past weekend and I went to go eat with my boyfriend. He had to go to the restroom so we stopped by at a Starbucks and we were walking out and he whispers at me that the people inside were deaf and I asked how do you know and he told me they are signing. So I got all excited and I really wanted to have a conversation with a deaf person but I backed away because I felt shy since I am a beginner and my vocabulary is not so great. I kept contemplating whether I should talk to them or not and I did not end up doing it. I felt a little upset at myself :(

Many teachers will tell you that you should go up and introduce yourself to random deaf people..
But deaf people's point of view (most not all) will think just like a hearing person
Do you randomly like to converse with strangers..just because you speak the same language?
make sense?

Many teachers will tell you that you should go up and introduce yourself to random deaf people..
But deaf people's point of view (most not all) will think just like a hearing person
Do you randomly like to converse with strangers..just because you speak the same language?
make sense?

My first instinct was to say "Hey!! That's not fair!" But after thinking about it, Violet & Bott are right. Having someone just walk up to me and say "Hey I noticed you are hearing, my name is ..." would make me feel pretty awkward.

I think however if you found something in common that you really did want to start a conversation about:
"I like your sweater"
"That looks really tasty, may I ask what it is?"
"Is that the new phone/ereader/electronic toy? Do you like it? I love mine"

The interest in talking to someone should be the interest in the person themselves, not just because they are Deaf. Let the other person lead in actually continuing the conversation.
If you want more practice in just signing, then the best bet is probably the skype/chat hookup board here.

My first instinct was to say "Hey!! That's not fair!" But after thinking about it, Violet & Bott are right. Having someone just walk up to me and say "Hey I noticed you are hearing, my name is ..." would make me feel pretty awkward.

I think however if you found something in common that you really did want to start a conversation about:
"I like your sweater"
"That looks really tasty, may I ask what it is?"
"Is that the new phone/ereader/electronic toy? Do you like it? I love mine"

The interest in talking to someone should be the interest in the person themselves, not just because they are Deaf. Let the other person lead in actually continuing the conversation.
If you want more practice in just signing, then the best bet is probably the skype/chat hookup board here.

That's why the best place to meeting Deafies is at Deaf Events :):) then you'll have something in common ;)

Most deafies don't mind if you don't know much asl, you'll likely meet someone who'll be happen to try communicating with you.

I think you should listen to your heart, you were excited about the event, follow through and you never know what amazing things might happen!

Back