Advise for first hearing aid consultation please

I'm thinking I will probably end up with a cros aid. I was hoping with all the technology out there that there would be an aid that could help with word recognition, but there doesn't seem to be. My word recognition is 0, so just amplifying sound isn't going to work. A cochlear implant isn't an option as my insurance will only cover it if hearing is unaidable in both ears. There is the possibility that I could fight and get a baha covered, but I have had many surgeries and I know I am having one more, and at this point I really don't want to have any surgery that isn't a complete necessity. Perhaps in a few more years, but for now I would like to try all the nonsurgical options first.

Has your audiologist sent over a pre-authorization form to your insurance company? With zero speech recognition, you would medically qualify for a CI, which is usually what insurance companies want to see.

Has your audiologist sent over a pre-authorization form to your insurance company? With zero speech recognition, you would medically qualify for a CI, which is usually what insurance companies want to see.

Not if her other ear can hear, which it can. I believe she said she had near perfect hearing in the other ear. Also what she's looking at, a cros aid, wouldn't send the sound to the ear that hearing is on, she'd have another aid in her good ear and it would send the sound it received to that aid on her good ear. Sooooo shed be getting sounds from both sides into that one ear.

At least I think that's how it works.

Thanks for all the help! I had my appointment this morning and I will be getting a phonak cros. We chose the bolero q50 for the receiver. I don't need an aid on that side so we went with something that can just be a basic receiver. I go back in 2 weeks to have it fitted, then weekly if I feel I need it. I have 45 days to try it. The total cost was $2800, and my insurance will cover $2500 of that. I'm really looking forward to trying it out!

Back