Advise for first hearing aid consultation please

jackie010307

Reaction score
I am going on Wednesday for a consult with an audiologist to see what options might help me. I have profound loss in my left ear, 90 decibels at lower frequencies and 120 at higher ones. I also have no word recognition. I have had some hearing loss since 09 but the profound loss occurred in April. Based on all of this I think they will probably recommend a cros aid. What should I expect to be asked at the consultation? What is the standard procedure for trying a hearing aid? I am honestly not expecting a lot. Since 09 I haven't had word recognition, just sound that sounded muffled. I would be happy to have that back at this point. How possible is that with a single aid? Should I have higher expectations with a cros than a single aid? I've tried to research but I think I'm more confused than before!

Do you have "normal" or near normal hearing on the other side??

If so, honestly, while trying the CROS is a good idea, I would ask for a softband trial for the BAHA before committing (buying) the CROS.

The new style BAHA is a fantastic option and tends to give significantly better results.

Yes, the hearing in my right ear is nearly perfect. I looked into the baha but my insurance will only cover part of it under certain circumstances, and I don't meet them. The good news is they will cover hearing aids up to $2500 every 3 years. Any idea if it's possible to get a cros aid for around that? I'm willing to pay some out of pocket, but with 2 kids starting new orthodontic stages within the next 2 months I would like to not pay more than I have to. I wish our ortho coverage was as good as the hearing aid coverage!

There are many people out there that are deaf in one ear and have adapted well to using only the good ear, so that is something to consider.

Just remember one thing...you don't have to select only the choices your audi presents to you....there are many to choose from, and high price is not always an indicator of better quality.

Hearing aid prices are outrageous...especially when most of them are made in China and the same manufacturer makes parts for multiple brands.

I have thought about just trying to adapt, and while that may be possible at home, I really need to have at least sound on both sides while at work. Having no word word discrimination on that side was a very difficult thing to adapt to, having no sound at all had caused me to rely on others more than I really can and still do an effective job. Not getting at least sound even without word discrimination would likely mean leaving my position. I agree that from what I've found the markup is insane on hearing aids! The audiologist I am going to see does work with several different brands, so hopefully there's something close to that cost that will help.

Yes, American with insurance. I realize that my insurance covers more than a lot of other insurance policies, and for that I'm thankful! Are there any hearing aids that can help with word recognition? I'm not finding any from what I'm reading, but with technology having come a long way in this field I wonder if perhaps I'm missing something.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

If you have SSD then I'd think BAHA would be covered. Most insurances seem to cover it in Canada and the USA if they cover HAs.

Nope, no ssd, just insurance coverage. The way our coverage is worded they will cover a cochlear implant if you have severe-profound unaidable hearing in both ears. They will cover a baha if you have traumatic injury or malformation of the external ear or middle ear. Since my loss is not due to injury or malformation they will not cover it. They basically explained it as they have to be able to see the cause of the hearing loss. Mine, as far as I can tell, is sudden sensorineural hearing loss with no determinable cause so they will not cover any surgery. Honestly, I've had so many surgeries and I know I will be having one more. that I really don't know if I would have another if a hearing aid will help.

Oops, sorry. I read that wrong! The way my insurance coverage is worded I cannot get coverage for a baha. The hearing loss has to be the cause of traumatic injury or a malformation of the inner or outer ear. Mine is not from injury or malformation so my insurance won't cover anything toward the baha.

I saw the cros on the phonak website but it was somewhat confusing. I think I understand it that there is a transmitter that is a set thing, the only option is color, and that it can be paired with quite a few different aids to use as a receiver. I tried to find a spreadsheet comparing the options for the receiver but couldn't. Just from what I was able to find there are a few aids that require two aids to use their features, but nothing covered if the cros system could use those features. I know the audiologist will go over all of this, but I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Not to sound doom and gloom, but seriously it probably isn't going to be worth the money. I'm LD, list my hearing my left ear at 20, then the right started kicking it at 26. I still rely on the right ear, which is profound, the left is profound to no response. Last summer I got new hearing aids, Phonak Naida UPs, I wish I saved 3 grand and just got one for my right ear because I rarely actually use the left one.

There is a very good chance you won't get speech out if it. You'll just get noise that might end up just confusing your brain, and when you get sound in those higher frequencies its going to tickle your ear drum. But hey give it shot if you can trial them. Maybe it's different with a bicross.....I have no idea.

Oops, sorry. I read that wrong! The way my insurance coverage is worded I cannot get coverage for a baha. The hearing loss has to be the cause of traumatic injury or a malformation of the inner or outer ear. Mine is not from injury or malformation so my insurance won't cover anything toward the baha.

Legally the government has approved BAHA for SSD (Single Sided Deafness) - you would be able to appeal with insurance for coverage.

Also in most cases insurance companies will consider sudden hearing loss as under the heading of "traumatic injury" (not all traumatic injuries are slips/falls/concussions etc.)

It's definitely worth looking into and seeing what the actual coverage says regarding SSD (BAHA approval is very different than CI approval, a lot of insurance companies don't really understand the difference and need an LMN issued to make it "make sense" to them).

I have thought about just trying to adapt, and while that may be possible at home, I really need to have at least sound on both sides while at work. Having no word word discrimination on that side was a very difficult thing to adapt to, having no sound at all had caused me to rely on others more than I really can and still do an effective job. Not getting at least sound even without word discrimination would likely mean leaving my position. I agree that from what I've found the markup is insane on hearing aids! The audiologist I am going to see does work with several different brands, so hopefully there's something close to that cost that will help.

Finding someone that has several different brands is a big plus. I use Widex and I love it. Others have had wonderful experiences with Phonak. I'd take advantage of your audi's experience and try more than one to see how it sounds. A good rule of thumb to go by is that it should sound great right out of the box. Take your time and don't rush to buy until you like what you hear. Best of luck.

Laura

In simple terms, a hearing aid makes everything louder. Whether you will get better speech recognition or not really depends on your ears. The nice thing with HA's is that you can try them for several weeks before you decide if they are working or not. Most likely they will help some, the question will be will they help enough. It takes a while to get used to a new HA so give it time. You are going to need several fine tuning appointments after you get the aid and I would suggest you schedule those right away. I would schedule one for about 3 days after you get your aid and then one a week for the next 4 weeks or so. You can always cancel them if you don't need them. That will give you the most out of your trial period. If, after your trail period you don't see any improvement, maybe look into a cochlear implant for that side??

I'm thinking I will probably end up with a cros aid. I was hoping with all the technology out there that there would be an aid that could help with word recognition, but there doesn't seem to be. My word recognition is 0, so just amplifying sound isn't going to work. A cochlear implant isn't an option as my insurance will only cover it if hearing is unaidable in both ears. There is the possibility that I could fight and get a baha covered, but I have had many surgeries and I know I am having one more, and at this point I really don't want to have any surgery that isn't a complete necessity. Perhaps in a few more years, but for now I would like to try all the nonsurgical options first.

Back