Advice

Lissa

Premium Member
Reaction score
As many of you know, I was raised oral and can sign in SSE, but I would like to sign and understand in BSL but everytime I try, it doesn't work out that way. It's probably because I always known English rather than BSL and their grammer. Is there any way you think I could adapt to understand and use BSL better? Okay, this isn't coming out as I thought it would, hope you all understand what I'm meaning to say

Think of painting a picture instead of describing a picture.

stop trying to think of it in english terms with english rules. Its not english its a different language altogether.

Once you stop trying to make it conform. or translate to the English you know, it will come easier. It is really hard to do, but not impossible, just keep working at it.

With learning ASL grammar, I find myself internally translating things I think about or say aloud into ASL format in my head, so it is getting easier to sign in the proper way and not as Signed English.

It would be easier if it was like french or spanish- we come at that knowing nothing and being a blank slate.

But with sign laguage we approach it initially thinking its just like english and bc we can sign exact english, its harder to switch our brains to that mode.

good luck though!

stop trying to think of it in english terms with english rules. Its not english its a different language altogether.

Once you stop trying to make it conform. or translate to the English you know, it will come easier. It is really hard to do, but not impossible, just keep working at it.

With learning ASL grammar, I find myself internally translating things I think about or say aloud into ASL format in my head, so it is getting easier to sign in the proper way and not as Signed English.

It would be easier if it was like french or spanish- we come at that knowing nothing and being a blank slate.

But with sign laguage we approach it initially thinking its just like english and bc we can sign exact english, its harder to switch our brains to that mode.

good luck though!

I can't turn my English brain off just like that, will need a lot of work. I suppose I do need somebody to practice with!

I don't know if it helps, it does help some people are struggling forget English in BSL.

I sometimes tell them to think mental type picture in your head. First you need to draw objects in picture, then you fill in details, then you fill it in with colours.

Like describing a car.

Draw car, fill in details of car like big or small, shape of it, patterns, designs of it, windows shape and sizes, door, boot, wheels, etc then colour in the car like red for body, black for wheels, white for windows, etc.

Hopes it helps? Or not?

I had the same problem when I first learned ASL until my brother told me "VOICE OFF and LESS mouth movements." Then he told me to picture my thoughts instead of putting them in English words. It worked.

Try that..it will take time.

I laffed becuz I had the same experience like u have plm. I did asked deaf spouse abt how he did pass the test at dmv or called bmv on the first day. Cuz I knew I was supposed to be smarter than him, but he got the odd day happened to be that way. He said, "Think of picture what u do driving on the road n' what u see the sign of shape n' colors." I felt so stupid I didn't think of that way ever since I always think of more words than pic. That's what I have plm I didn't sign too good everytime when I'm talking to deaf, but I did get better now than I was in h.s.

Last edited:
I am having this same problem, but on top of that, I am also forgetting the signs I need.

I am having this same problem, but on top of that, I am also forgetting the signs I need.

that happens to me too. I know enough to hold a conversation on several topics, but when I meet a deaf person I get so nervous I forget half my signs and start fingerspelling- which I automatically fall back on because I learned it so long ago it's easy to pull back up.

Its a work in progress. Voice off, deep breaths!

I would love to practise with some of you AD'ers but wrong country, arghh

Like you I too was raised oral, I did not know much about sign language at all till about Middle school level and I really did not even start learning much of it till way after. I am still learning sign language today and I am really rusty. Sadly I know more Spanish as a second language then sign language. Which shocks a lot of people when I tell them I am Deaf. ...

Wait, you talk? your Deaf? you don't know sign language well? Like the Deaf are only limited to signing? ....

anyways, to help me learn I have learned to treat it like any other language. I am learning the grammer as well as the language and trying to practice when I can.

Biggest advice, take a class if you can and PRACTICE often with someone who speaks the language flunetly. If you can not find someone near by .. try video chatting with someone online?

Back