Advice with writing

Reaction score
I absolutely love writing! I seriously do! I have an amazing passion for it since I was seven years old and grown very close to learn English. I have become obsess with making my writing grammar free. I tried reading it out loud method, but I want to do it without having to rely on it. I mean, speaking out loud during a test would definitely not good at all for me.

Is there a trick to see my writing mistakes or errors? Is there a website that can help me keep practicing? I know a site, but I have to be a student in English class to use it again. Criterion Writing Evaluation had to be the best program to use and it did helped me out so much. Even my last year of high school teacher pointed out that I changed drastically from the beginning to now with my writing skills. I was glad and proud to see sudden changes.

I want to keep that up, but how? Is there another site that might be helpful? I don't want to count on someone to edit my work. I want to be independent in my writing and sound natural at it too.

Any advice? I'm open for any suggestions or ideas that might help me out. :)

Hmmm... Do you know ASL? If you can't find a good website, I can help you with grammar if you teach me ASL... :) I tutor students from Arabic countries, and they really like the way I teach.

I always found in high school that reading the sentences backwards in my head worked. you have to concentrate more so you slow down and are better able to see grammatical and spelling errors.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

One of the biggest ways to improve your own writing is to read a lot of well written books both classics and current authors, short stories and magazine articles (The New Yorker Magazine is excellent for this and you can read it free at your local library!)

The more you read and are conscious of how words are put together, the more you can use it to help your own writing.

You may also find that if you are a 'kinetic learner' (you have to "do it to learn it") that hand copying word-for-word a paragraph from a book/short story/article etc , and then below the exact copy, write a paraphrased version (use your own words and phrases to say the same/similar thing).

After you've done the paraphrase, compare your version and the original and see how you feel about the sentences,wording etc.
If you have a friend of teacher who can read them over and offer advice, that's great too.

Another thing is to start writing in a journal daily - it doesn't have to be like a diary, it could be copying out a poem or short paragraph would read somewhere and then commenting on it (perhaps what it helped you understand with reading/writing, or even just saying why you liked it etc)

Practice makes perfect - start by reading well written things everyday (aloud if possible, or at least reading and moving your lips to the words without making sound).

Also consider asking your teacher for suggestions on various tools they may find help - you may find materials and resources aimed at "English as an Additional Language" (EAL, or ESL, English as a second language) also helpful because of the way English grammar and phrasing is explained in those (versus the material/resources an English teacher would have to teacher their English speaking class parts of speech etc).

HTH

Back