Advice? We want our son to be mainstreamed. He wants to go to the School for the Deaf

My brother had 5 years of intensive speech therapy at an oral only preK program and yet wasn't able to develop clear speech skills. I have seen that happen to various deaf children. Some children r able to do it while some aren't. That's why I believe in language development over speech.

I developed speech with a minmum speech therapy, and felt the thereapy sessions was pointless and sucked big time. I suspect it's because I had access to sign language pretty early, so speech was easy to develop because i did KNOW language. This can't of course explain all, as some people simply don't speak while others do, like you say. But I understand totally what you mean with language development over speech from my experience.

My stance would perhaps been different if I was used to formal language instructions, and wasn't exposured to a signing community. I can imagine that speech therapy have a much more importance for this kind of deaf people.

When parents and schools try to push speech therapy and lipreading skills on children, they're not doing it to be mean, they're doing it to try to better that child's life. I had years of speech therapy and I learned to lipread along the way, and I'm very thankful for it. It doesn't make me or any other child any less deaf.

No one said parents are mean, I just think some parents and hearing workers are too stoked on speech and listening and scared of deafness to make truly "informed choices". It's great you enjoyed speech therapy and benfited from it. When a deaf students enjoy what she/he is doing, it's definitely not a waste of time.

I disagree, they both are as important--language development and approaches to speech. :P

Hope this does not mean you want to force all deaf people into speech therapy if they feel it's pointless and show resistance. That resistance must come from somewhere, and it's not allways a lousy therapist to blame or a child that does not know his best?

Hope this does not mean you want to force all deaf people into speech therapy if they feel it's pointless and show resistance. That resistance must come from somewhere, and it's not allways a lousy therapist to blame or a child that does not know his best?

Did I say anything about "forcing"? No. All I've said they both are as important, nothing more nothing less.

I feel that every deaf child should be offered the opportunity to develop speech skills but not to drag it on and on for years if there has been no progress made.

Also, I dont think speech services should continue until high school. Let the deaf kids have more time during their high school years to experiment with taking different elective courses rather than waste time on speech at their age.

Just my opinion.

No time for me to read all story. My job is part of Rivals.com (sport from HS and NCAA)

I will not push you go to deaf school or stay at mainsteam school.

Your son is very good wrestler. Most deaf school does not have excellent wrestle or any sport program.

I am not familiar with mainsteam (special deaf program). I know about sport at normal High School and deaf school. Most deaf schools are not excellent sport program. Just good education at deaf school.

I grew up at oral school (deaf school - no allow sign language). Until, I was 13 years old. My parents asked me which stay oral school or transfer to deaf school. I picked deaf school.

Deaf School made me happy better than oral school because big important for my education and communication skill.

I am former excellent wrestler. I grew up wrestle with hearing people at my hometown. When, I was 13 years old. I went to deaf school. They did not have any wrestle team. Until, I was 15 or 16 years old. They tried to have wrestle team. Nobody can beat me in my age and weight. My weight was 160lbs. I beat heaviest weight (over 230lbs) and older players. Nobody (deaf students) can pin me down. My coach can pin me down because he was in 1968 Summer Olympic. They cancel wrestle team because lack of interested in wrestling. :(

Most deaf school's wrestle players are not very good in wrestle or any sports. Big different culture at deaf school and hometown's hearing friends. I was most popular player in any sports (football, baseball, street hockey, bowling and wrestle) with hearing people. At deaf school, many kids are show off. They left me out because I was too younger. Yes, I hate big kids at deaf school. I saw many deaf students are very stink player in flag football or softball. Most players wanted to be big "I" or selfish to keep touch ball. Still hate some players think "ME ME ME ME"

In earlier 1970's, Orel Hershiser was my old friend. He was sick of me that he can't stike me out. I went to deaf school which does not have baseball/football/wrestle teams. In 1976, I came back to my hometown. Orel was gone to Pro baseball. He was famous pitcher for LA Dodges plus other teams. He made millions dollars. My life is priceless!!!! He still can't strike me out. Also, some of my old friends went to NCAA football for Penn State, Boston College, U of Delaware and other small college. They came home for break time, we played football. I am best players than all my friends from NCAA football. That's shame... I am talent but no sport program & chess club at deaf school.

Come first is most important EDUCATION for your future career. Which is right kind of education for you at deaf school or mainsteam.

I was student at Rochester Inst of Tech. I noticed that many deaf students came from mainsteam. They have little bit weird communication (lack of ASL skill level or lack of deaf culture).

Currently, I am freelance photographer for Rivals.com. They have plently story about sports from HS and NCAA

The parents can always ask for split placement so their son can participate with wrestling if the Deaf school doesnt have a program. It is their right.

Very early on I went to an oral, mainstreamed school then began "regular" school with hearing kids starting the 3rd grade and "graduated" to the 4th grade attending all regular classes at a public school. And I had a great time making friends, music, sports and drama from 4th grade to 12th while in public schools (no mainstream). I am personally glad that I never went to a deaf school since it would've been unneccesaary in the first place. Thank god. Thank you, Mom!!

I was student at Rochester Inst of Tech. I noticed that many deaf students came from mainsteam. They have little bit weird communication (lack of ASL skill level or lack of deaf culture).
I am interested what you have to say about deaf students who come from mainstream. How do they communicate weird?

I'm considering going to RIT/NTID and I came from mainstreams almost all of my life...so yeah.

Yes, but Koko....how old are you? Back in the old days, the expectations at the Deaf Schools weren't great b/c they thought that kids with physical issues couldn't acheive on a par with nondisabled kids. Now the problem tends to be that the deaf school is the last resort placement....Not always....there are MANY good deaf schools. Things have changed a lot!

Yes, but Koko....how old are you? Back in the old days, the expectations at the Deaf Schools weren't great b/c they thought that kids with physical issues couldn't acheive on a par with nondisabled kids. Now the problem tends to be that the deaf school is the last resort placement....Not always....there are MANY good deaf schools. Things have changed a lot!

Yea, I used to think that way about deaf schools and was always glad that I never went until I started working in them and realized how much I have missed out. I think this is a case of having nothing to compare to. I had nothing to compare to and always believed in the stereotyping of deaf schools until I saw it for myself.

hi, this is Jason, my parents are officialy letting me go to deafschool! thank you every one for your help.

hi, this is Jason, my parents are officialy letting me go to deafschool! thank you every one for your help.

You sure do have wonderful and caring parents. I'm so grateful that your parents took your needs into consideration and had choose to let you in a deaf school where you could meet students like yourself who are deaf and hard of hearing. Please do keep us update on how you made out at your new school. ;)

Well, thanks so much for the update. Don't forget to check in and let us know how it's going. I hope that you enjoy your experiences there. Congratulations!

Congrats Jason! I agree with Cheri..your parents are so wonderful for listening and taking your needs into consideration. :)

Congrats, Jason! You have wonderful parents; not because they decided to let you go to a Deaf school, but because they listened to you and love you enough to let you make your own decision. You're a very lucky kid!

And I echo everyone else: please stick around and keep us updated on your new life at the Deaf school!

Congrats, Jason! You have wonderful parents; not because they decided to let you go to a Deaf school, but because they listened to you and love you enough to let you make your own decision. You're a very lucky kid!

And I echo everyone else: please stick around and keep us updated on your new life at the Deaf school!

Ditto!!!

Jason, I am so glad that you have decide to try and experience going to the Deaf school. I do hope you will be happy in this school. I know it is not a easy decision and discuss with your parents about it and I am glad that they listen to you which is very important for all Deaf/Hard of Hearing people's well being find what is fit in the right way to understand in the Deaf or Hearing classrooms including being social with other Deaf peers. Good luck and tell us about your update this fall. Good luck. :thumbs:

Back