Advice? We want our son to be mainstreamed. He wants to go to the School for the Deaf

Now I noticed many public high school offer sign language that many kids can make friend with deaf kids and my friends show me report cards what their kids enrolled that have lot of courses than what deaf school have. Social skill better, more sport event, Huge populations choice of boys/girls to date, easier get jobs since many parents/kids knew deaf person and hiring if person doing good in school. Have better guide to future educations. I know it was hard for me to tell as deaf school is so fun but no fun in future.

No, I don't think it's true.

At my old school - before and after my graduation, I mostly saw students did success their goals by completed at colleges and some students had jobs. Their lives are pretty various lifestyles as hearing people are.

:)

:confused: then how did many of my friends who went to Deaf schools lead successful and happy lives?

Just because one goes to a Deaf school doesnt mean their futures are doomed.

There are many hearing people who went to public schools are living lives on the street or as criminals.

How one's person's future is determined depends solely on the person..if they wnat a better future, then they have the control to make that happen.

True, however Had you noticed not many deaf people end up criminal since they are smart enough to avoid stuff. What I heard is they rather not stuck in jail or not want get in conflict with police officers since they don't signs at all.

Since many don't live on street because they got SSDI checks as do nothing. I happy to see you bring that subject up to share our view as good to see you bring that up.

No, I don't think it's true.

At my old school - before and after my graduation, I mostly saw students did success their goals by completed at colleges and some students had jobs. Their lives are pretty various lifestyles as hearing people are.

:)

Yes, However as I knew many of my classmates' jobs are deaf related jobs and many end up have stereotype jobs where many deaf people work together until computers stuff come up then go wide choice.

Maybe I may wrong since I hadn't visited deaf school for long time nor talk with deaf friends who work as teachers at deaf school and tell me how many deaf students go well after school. Thank God for computers stuff come in mean many choices in jobs better than in past.

True, however Had you noticed not many deaf people end up criminal since they are smart enough to avoid stuff. What I heard is they rather not stuck in jail or not want get in conflict with police officers since they don't signs at all.

Since many don't live on street because they got SSDI checks as do nothing. I happy to see you bring that subject up to share our view as good to see you bring that up.

A lot of deafies that I know who went to my local deaf school went to Gallaudet after the graduation :dunno:

I personally dont know any deaf people in jail. More deaf people I know have jobs than collect SSDI. I know a few of those who collect SSDI ...they never went to deaf schools. They graduated from mainstreamed programs.

Yes, However as I knew many of my classmates' jobs are deaf related jobs and many end up have stereotype jobs where many deaf people work together until computers stuff come up then go wide choice.

Maybe I may wrong since I hadn't visited deaf school for long time nor talk with deaf friends who work as teachers at deaf school and tell me how many deaf students go well after school. Thank God for computers stuff come in mean many choices in jobs better than in past.

So what? If they work at deaf related jobs, they have jobs. Hearing people work at jobs that are hearing related and tend to work together. Is that bad if deaf people do that? If that's bad then hearing people shouldnt work together and shouldnt work at hearing related jobs. :roll:

As long as these deaf people have jobs, paying taxes and contributing to society, why complain?

Just wonder, do you have a job?

I knew one deaf guy who went to jail for murdering his own father. Even when I went to nursery school with him, he was someone to avoid. He has no speech skills at all and is very reliant on ASL.

The majority of deaf that I know are not at all like him.

But did you see why flip said that the quality is superior? Because deaf people tend to stay in deaf schools while deaf people in mainstream tends to flock to deaf schools. That may be true, but as I said, I don't see how that makes the school's QUALITY superior. To me, it's a communication needs type of thing...

Communication is the most important part of pedagogy according to Vygotsky. From what I have seen, students know what they want, and they want good education in a safe environment. What you are saying here, is that students don't care about quality and just want to chat in ASL, that's far from truth. Ask them yourself why they are flocking to deaf schools, and you will understand what I am talking about.

Communication is the most important part of pedagogy according to Vygotsky. From what I have seen, students know what they want, and they want good education in a safe environment. What you are saying here, is that students don't care about quality and just want to chat in ASL, that's far from truth. Ask them yourself why they are flocking to deaf schools, and you will understand what I am talking about.

Yes.. communication. You just verified it in the bolded statement above. What's the purpose of ANY education if you can't understand it? However, just because you understand it doesn't mean the education material is superior. It just means the EXPERIENCE is superior, not the education itself.

Yes.. communication. You just verified it in the bolded statement above. What's the purpose of ANY education if you can't understand it? However, just because you understand it doesn't mean the education material is superior. It just means the EXPERIENCE is superior, not the education itself.

You really think Vygotsky wrote a whole book, stating something simple like "if the students don't understand what the teacher says, there is no learning taking place"? LOL

Bronfenbrenner also have a nice model where one can see what mainstream education for deaf people lack, and why they are flocking to deaf schools. But it's too lenghty to explain here. Check his Ecological Systems Theory at Ecological Systems Theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You really think Vygotsky wrote a whole book, stating something simple like "if the students don't understand what the teacher says, there is no learning taking place"? LOL

Bronfenbrenner also have a nice model where one can see what mainstream education for deaf people lack, and why they are flocking to deaf schools. But it's too lenghty to explain here. Check his Ecological Systems Theory at Ecological Systems Theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, I am talking about the education material, not the environment. You are making the assumption that all deaf schools have the exact same educational material as public schools. If that assumption is correct, then I understand your posts. However, you used the fact that deaf people flock to deaf schools as the reason why education at deaf schools are superior. I find that to be poor evidence.

Again, I am talking about the education material, not the environment. You are making the assumption that all deaf schools have the exact same educational material as public schools. If that assumption is correct, then I understand your posts. However, you used the fact that deaf people flock to deaf schools as the reason why education at deaf schools are superior. I find that to be poor evidence.

Schools buy the same stuff from the mjor publishing houses, and content is almost the same no matter publishing house or country. Did you think that deaf schools buy education materials from different publishing houses than public schools?

Feel free to interpret the flocking to deaf schools as you want. I just explained that it must be something that is better in deaf schools than public schools when deaf people flock to deaf schools. If you read bronfenbrenner, you can see that social needs and education are following each other. Read vygotsky to understand why deaf students want to use ASL in the classroom, not only on the playground.

Schools buy the same stuff from the mjor publishing houses, and content is almost the same no matter publishing house or country. Did you think that deaf schools buy education materials from different publishing houses than public schools?

Feel free to interpret the flocking to deaf schools as you want. I just explained that it must be something that is better in deaf schools than public schools when deaf people flock to deaf schools. If you read bronfenbrenner, you can see that social needs and education are following each other. Read vygotsky to understand why deaf students want to use ASL in the classroom, not only on the playground.

That's correct...The deaf schools that I know of all buy and use the same curriculm and materials that the public schools do.

Based on whose experience? It is mine.

Didnt u say that you hated growing up oral-only?
I went thru all, oral, TC , resident school for the deaf then public school ( long story but it was my happiest time of my life then)

I spend 3 years at resdience school for the Deaf and I hate it. Too many bully and low education. Plus too many kids there had problems at home and their parents can not handle them so they send them away.

Do u want me to tell you many bad stories to share at resident school for the deaf? One of my classmate was shot himself to death one week after he graduated from Deaf school because he was in deep depress for many years. I remember one teacher picked on him because he was daydream all the time. I wanted to tell teacher to leave him alone but I was afraid. Then kids who lived there, steal stuffs from me because they were so poor. I got in fight with them all the time because I refused to do what they tell me to do. Of course I never was in trouble because I was good girl . Also I did not learn anything in school and I was suffocated by lack of education. I was so happy to be out there and go to public school, of course with an interpter and I was in special ed to catch up with math and english (flunked english at Deaf school and oral program , math at deaf school choked me to first grade level for three years) .

Best of all I was home at last be with my family and my own bed and freely roaming the house and outside without adult superivsor all the time.

U know those girls who were bullied me, they had kids at very young age, unwed. I do not know why people make deaf schools sound wonderful but they do not tell you whole truth story. Social was great there? Not.

It took me one year to clean up my nasty act that I learned from Deaf school, especially foul language in ASL all the time.

IHMO, kids should stay home and be with their families.

I went thru all, oral, TC , resident school for the deaf then public school ( long story but it was my happiest time of my life then)

I spend 3 years at resdience school for the Deaf and I hate it. Too many bully and low education. Plus too many kids there had problems at home and their parents can not handle them so they send them away.

Do u want me to tell you many bad stories to share at resident school for the deaf? One of my classmate was shot himself to death one week after he graduated from Deaf school because he was in deep depress for many years. I remember one teacher picked on him because he was daydream all the time. I wanted to tell teacher to leave him alone but I was afraid. Then kids who lived there, steal stuffs from me because they were so poor. I got in fight with them all the time because I refused to do what they tell me to do. Of course I never was in trouble because I was good girl . Also I did not learn anything in school and I was suffocated by lack of education. I was so happy to be out there and go to public school, of course with an interpter and I was in special ed to catch up with math and english (flunked english at Deaf school and oral program , math at deaf school choked me to first grade level for three years) .

Best of all I was home at last be with my family and my own bed and freely roaming the house and outside without adult superivsor all the time.

U know those girls who were bullied me, they had kids at very young age, unwed. I do not know why people make deaf schools sound wonderful but they do not tell you whole truth story. Social was great there? Not.

It took me one year to clean up my nasty act that I learned from Deaf school, especially foul language in ASL all the time.

IHMO, kids should stay home and be with their families.

Granted Deaf schools have their flaws and so do public schools.

I am sorry that u had a bad experience but not everyone has had a bad experience. My brother graduated from a Deaf school and he is pursuing his master's. He is very close to several of his former classmates. Most of them have jobs...one of them owns his own mechanic shop.

Not all people have bad experiences at Deaf schools and there are lots of good ones out there.

U say kids should stay home and be with their families. What if the families dont bother learn sign language and ingores the kids? I see that too often with so many children. Staying at home and being neglected as far as language and communication goes isnt a great home life for them.

I have read about children who go to public schools who have committed suicide or even killed other people. Remember Columbine?

The point I am making is that just because someone is depressed, didnt have a good experience, or whatever doesnt mean all Deaf schools are bad.

The same goes for public schools too.

Granted Deaf schools have their flaws and so do public schools.

I am sorry that u had a bad experience but not everyone has had a bad experience. My brother graduated from a Deaf school and he is pursuing his master's. He is very close to several of his former classmates. Most of them have jobs...one of them owns his own mechanic shop. Congratulion on your brother. I had a bright friend from Deaf school who went to Gallaudent and came back as a deaf meddler. I could not believe it when my sister bumped her at store one day and she asked for my sister's money. She was in top class, I always envy her because she got best class and best education while I was in lower class with first grade level for three years ( I was 12 years old and I did not learn how to read at all) .
Not all people have bad experiences at Deaf schools and there are lots of good ones out there. I am not sure about that.

U say kids should stay home and be with their families. What if the families dont bother learn sign language and ingores the kids? I see that too often with so many children. Staying at home and being neglected as far as language and communication goes isnt a great home life for them. Unfortunely for them, I feel bad and one reason why I do not want to go to deaf school to be with them. I dealed with them for three years so I do know.

I have read about children who go to public schools who have committed suicide or even killed other people. Remember Columbine? Yeah so are the deaf killers which I happened to know couples from Deaf school. The point I am making is that just because someone is depressed, didnt have a good experience, or whatever doesnt mean all Deaf schools are bad. Till you walk in my shoes then you will know but dont tell me what I dont know. It was awful for me.
The same goes for public schools too. I never had a problem at public school from 7th grade thru 12th grade, I did very well there.

My parents were devasted when I refused to attend Galludent college. I had a good reason not go there at all. It may be good for you and others but not for me.

Back