Advice on hoh first year university!!!

I'm a first year college student, and I do not have a notetaker nor interp because I don't really need either for my program.
I do use an FM system, and I do sit in a place where I can lip read and easily see my classmates.
Next year I'm taking a new program and I might just need a notetaker, we'll see. All I can say is an FM system is a pretty esstenial item to have if you have a certian amount of hearing left.
Good Luck!
:)
Krista

It would depend on the notetaker program.

At RIT, notetakers are paid... notes are very clear (they're actually reviewed by other students and supervisors)... and are usually uploaded within 24 hours after class.

foreword: gothgirl and me attend same university and are in many of the same classes.

Lucky you, VamPyroX. It sounds like RIT has a very quality notetaker program. At the school we attend, the notetaker program consists of prof saying "Class, there is a deaf student in this class who needs notes, so talk to me later." The notes gothgirl does get aren't very quality because there is no review, and no consequences for good or bad notes. :crazy: I am not a fan of that kind of system, as if you can't tell. :)

sorry:s

Sorry i haven't come back to reply in awhile, ive been busy with mid-term stuff and my birthday, sports,etc...sooo newho...

Im still trying to work on the whole fm system thing..and now i have to find a new audi and ent since im 18, so i can get note takers tho and they are hired pros from outside the school and they do the notes and after the class they get sent to your email..Im slightly sad too that school is almost over and ill be going to university next year and i have to give back my current FM system soon...which kinda sucks but that's life i guess..too bad they're so expensive..more than an ha...oo well!

you should look into Real Time Captioning (RTC), in which the captionist transcribes everything the professor says in class on a laptop. i'm currently using it and I find it to be very helpful in following the lectures. it's pretty much the only option i had, since i don't know any ASL to use an interpreter. notetakes wouldn't help because you still don't know what's going on in class. and FM systems wouldn't help because at my school, almost all my professors have heavy accents which are really hard for me to understand.

I think Angelstar has hit it on the head with her last post.

I think this would be very beneficial along with a professional note taker that can email the notes to you after class. This way you are aware of what it going on around you as well as getting good notes that you can study and you know what material needs to be covered before the next class.

I wish I had thought of these accomodations when I went to university, I did fine and even made National Dean's List but it was a constant struggle to follow class discussions sometimes. I just did ALOT of reading and made sure I sat in front and took careful notes.

Algebra was hard though because after so many notes all the numbers, equations and problems still got jumbled in my head. If I had an FM system and possibly a good notetaker for that class I probably would have done much better. Edited to add that I stuggled hard for my second semester spanish class to the point that I ended up dropping it. Those Foreign Language classes are hard because the professor often has a thick accent and you can't quite understand everything that is being said.

so..

so my mom has been arguing with the board and i can maybe get an fm system paid for thru ADP in ontario or thru OSAP and it can be put in my student loans! which wud be very good..a bit expensive but good! so i have a meeting 4 that on the 26!=)

Why did she have to argue? Do you not have a special needs counsellor? My college paid for my FM system through my OSAP.
I'm trying to wrap my mind around you situation, and why it's a hard time for you to get an FM system....

they "weren't sure" if they could do it thru my osap at first blah blah cuz they are gay and carleton wont get any new fm systems they only have the older ones and i use a phonak edulink cuz i dont have ha's..as of yet...but im thinking if i get it thru ADP that it would be cheaper cuz they will pay a portion of the fm or ha...i go on monday for another hearing test to see if im gonna get ha or just an fm system thru adp

oo and i do have a special needs counselor but she doesnt meet with me as much cuz she doesnt deem me as important since im only hoh

Oh my god. Go to her office and make an appointment. One of my friends has a learning disablity and Mr. Hone did the same with her. I made her go to the office and she got an appointment right then and there. Geesh some people.
You're at CU? Gah! I dispise CU. When they came to my high school for a presentation, the presenter refused to wear my FM system. I just up and left, along with about 2/4 of the rest of the grade!!
I wish you luck, keep me updated, I'd like to know how things are going there.

That didnt make a good impression for the college did it? Maybe next time they'll thing twice about wearing an FM system to possibly convince you that they're the school to attend with the best education possible.

I can't believe the representative of that college did that. I too would have walked out and said I guess you dont need my money or my support that bad.

Ya and worse it was a University! I thought they would bw more understanding esp since the tuition is so much more $ ... they think the "more deaf" people were more important..which to a certain degree i understand cuz someone who has a worse degree of hearing loss may have more trouble but still!

I'm just finishing my first year at University, and mine has been GREAT!

I was nervous about asking for assistive services, but my DS co-ordinator is wonderful, and has made sure that I know I can ask for any number of things including VTN, PTN, 'terps, CART, "quiet rooms" for exams so I don't have visual distractions if needed and all sorts of other supports which I can choose to use, or not depending on the class.

Currently I have VTN's for my classes, and for all-day weeklong session I have requested both VTN and 'terps. I can add or change the services depending on each class.

For the classes I have 'terps for , I still voice for myself ( I have an injury that makes signing painful - crummy huh ?) , however they will interpret for me what goes on in the class.

So far it's been wonderful !

I haven't used FM yet, because I haven't figured out if there's a way to blend the class sound (my classmates) with the teacher ? I have a phonak MAXX and it only has OTM. I have no hearing at all on the other side, so I'd eitherhave to find a way to blend it or skip it ~ I have to admit, I don't know much about FM though ....

Thats really good that your university was very helpful...hopefully mine will turn out good! ... Ya the only downside of fm is sometimes you can't hear what other students are saying since your hearing attention is spose to be on the teacher...but try it out? i use phonak and almost pretty much love my fm system

Back