advice in learning asl signs?

metamantis

Reaction score
I have had a brief brush with hearing loss several times in my life and have started learning Sign language. I have been learning PSE and will be starting ASL Classes in a month or so. I have been working with different friends at learning but have run into a problem.
I know that Sign language in America has been changing since it first branched off of the French Sign Language. I started spending time and realizing different people I know use different signs and different books and dictionaries have different signs as well (same with the web resources). From the people I've talked to there is no true authority for what is the "official" sign. My closest deaf friend talks about her teacher in school teaching her about old signs vs new signs that the signs are being officially changed over time for schools uses.

I know that Sign language will not be standardized any time soon, but I was wondering if anyone knew about the government book of the new approved signed language or if anyone had advice on dealing with being with different groups that use largely different sets of signs. My best friends set of signs is very alien to the groups I've started to encounter and I don't know what to study or how to know which signs to learn any more.

Any advice on dealing with people telling you that you are using the "wrong", or an "old" sign?
metamantis

I understand what you mean. I started learning ASL when I was younger and it was mostly SEE with a little ASL. Now I'm learning "formal" ASL. My teacher is deaf and will catch me occasionally and tell me the sign I am using is old. In the deaf community, I have found that they will question my signs, and I will question theirs. For someone who wants to learn as much as I possibly can, I take the "corrections" in stride. I'll explain, "this is what my teacher taught" or "i learned the sign this way". I have learned not to take it personally though because just as dialect varies in the English language, signs will vary too. I am feeling much apprehension because I'm going to GU in July for a 3rd year course and nervous about using my sign. I don't know if this helped you any, but I have often pondered the same thing with regards to "what is right and wrong".
-erica-

I have had a brief brush with hearing loss several times in my life and have started learning Sign language. I have been learning PSE and will be starting ASL Classes in a month or so. I have been working with different friends at learning but have run into a problem.
I know that Sign language in America has been changing since it first branched off of the French Sign Language. I started spending time and realizing different people I know use different signs and different books and dictionaries have different signs as well (same with the web resources). From the people I've talked to there is no true authority for what is the "official" sign. My closest deaf friend talks about her teacher in school teaching her about old signs vs new signs that the signs are being officially changed over time for schools uses.

I know that Sign language will not be standardized any time soon, but I was wondering if anyone knew about the government book of the new approved signed language or if anyone had advice on dealing with being with different groups that use largely different sets of signs. My best friends set of signs is very alien to the groups I've started to encounter and I don't know what to study or how to know which signs to learn any more.

Any advice on dealing with people telling you that you are using the "wrong", or an "old" sign?
metamantis

I feel your pain. I am learning ASL and different books have different signs for different things, even though both are ASL. At this point, I am using what will stick with me, and I figure as I get more fluent, I will be able to adapt.

I use one sign for "fascinating" and my brother uses a different one. He always corrects me, and I always say "whatever." :)

I remember it used to drive me crazy in ASL 1 and ASL 2 when we'd learn there were three or four (at least!) ways to sign something. I got very rigid and thought "Okay, I will always use THIS sign and forget about the other ones!"

As I got more comfortable with ASL, I was better able to incorporate different signs into my lexicon. This is a vital skill for interpreters, because if I'm working with a client who wants me to sign FLOUR by using the sign for FLOWER, well, that's what I'm going to use and I don't argue.

Out in the community, if someone corrects me on a sign I know for sure is not incorrect, I will thank the person and make a mental note, but probably continue signing it my way. In any language, different people have different dialects and as long as you aren't signing DOG when you mean CAT, it's okay to agree to disagree.

I do think it's worthwhile to consider changing a sign that you have been told is outdated, however. Often signs are changed because they are either offensive or technologically obscure, and it's good to keep up.

Aside from regional sign differences, I think most "old" signs are changed because some are just offensive or inappropriate. Think of the (hearing) evolution of "negro" to "colored" to "african american" to "black" or something similar.

Growing up, our sign for japanese or chinese were always the "j" or index-finger pull on the side of the eyes. That is derogatory. Things just change with the times.

The regional differences are kind of like "pop" vs. "soda" vs. "coke" vs. "cola" or "davenport" vs. "sofa."

You really won't find any official anything. :(

Back