Advice for teaching math to an adult deaf student who doesn't sign?

Interesting! Would someone describe the lesson and the type/use of manipulatives for something like this:

-7X = Y = 20

-14x- 2y = 20

OR THIS

y = 3sinx - 4cosx

Thanks. :)

It would require too much space to do a math manipulatives 101 lecture.

Thanks for the advice. His primary method of communication has been writing, but the more time I spend working with him the better I get at understanding his speech, which has helped a lot. The math level is calculus. He understands the math, the issue is that he doesn't always understand the questions. I've been researching visual organizers and I think flow chats and step-by-step diagrams will help a lot.

Does anyone know of a good free whiteboard application?

Thanks for the advice. His primary method of communication has been writing, but the more time I spend working with him the better I get at understanding his speech, which has helped a lot. The math level is calculus. He understands the math, the issue is that he doesn't always understand the questions. I've been researching visual organizers and I think flow chats and step-by-step diagrams will help a lot.

Macromedia - Developer Center : Creating a Whiteboard Application with Macromedia Flash Communication Server MX
Free Online Whiteboard Application
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s5EvhHy7eQ]YouTube - Low-Cost Multi-touch Whiteboard using the Wiimote[/ame] This one use Wii remote and infrared light pens to create low cost interactive whiteboard. Not closed-caption so I am not sure if I can create this stuff.

I don't know how to create whiteboard so I can't really help you there. I googled and found those links. Good luck in creating a whiteboard. I like the one with Wii remote.

Not off hand, but I will check with my math tutors for one.

ah.... that is quite challenging to tutor calculus with limited mode of communication. I was the math tutor for community college for about a year.

and yes flowchart and step-by-step diagrams will help a great deal. the more examples, the better he will understand. it is quite a work on your part but i applaud your diligence to teach him with patience.
1. Since his primary communication is writing, you might want to sit next to computer/laptop so that both of you can communicate faster than writing.
2. Print out a paper of all the common mathematical words that you will use it repeatedly. Just simply point to that word on the paper. For ie - "derivative, integral, etc...."
3. it would help to learn a few basic sign languages together such as "no, yes, i don't know, i forgot, show me, solve it"

I've used GE's Imagination Cubed to tutor my friends on math via online. It's a free online whiteboard.

I've never used/heard of manipulatives. What is it? Hand gestures, or using objects or ?

I've never used/heard of manipulatives. What is it? Hand gestures, or using objects or ?

Basically, using techniques that are designed to address visual and kinesthic processing. Some people just process information more easily using these senses.

For instance, a child just learning addition, because of their developmental stage, learns the concept behind addition much better using manipulative because their brain has not matured to the degree that allows them to grasp the concept abstractly. If we give them an opportunity to see why 1+1=2 viusally, and let them experience it by touching and arranging objects, they grasp the basic idea of addition, and can then apply the concept to any other addition problem.

I actually learned about the technique as a way to address specific math LD's, but have since discovered that it works really well with any person who has a strength in visual and kinesthetic processing.

Visual aids - get a portable dry erase marker and go through the steps. Use any pictures you can and any concrete manipulatives if possible. If his written language skills are good, then use a word processor to type what you would say to a hearing person - explain the process of the steps, etc.

FYI - there are many deaf adults who do not sign.

Back