Advice for teaching math to an adult deaf student who doesn't sign?

MathTutor

Reaction score
I'm a math tutor currently working with a deaf adult who doesn't sign. I know a little bit of ASL (a very little bit) and would be happy to learn more if it would help him. I don't know why he doesn't sign. Can anyone offer some advice on learning strategies that might be helpful in our situation? Most of the research I have done seems to focus on signing. Should I suggest that we both study up on math signs?

You didn't mention what IS his method of communication? Speaking, writing? Why not use his method of communicating?

White board (or whatever the name of the electronic board) but use the ones that let you draw or write as you teach while still be able to face the student. I never learned to sign either nor understood the teacher. They always gave out step by step examples with some notes. I understood it, I had to figure it out at first though. Whatever you do, start out with the simple problems before teaching the harder one.

Math was one of the subjects I could do.

when I was in school, most of my math teachers used a projector.

A writing pad or scratch paper would be obvious here. When I needed to communicate with someone ASAP, I taught them finger spelling - they will catch on pretty quickly. Sure it's time consuming, though better than not having a communication method at all.

Use manipulatives.

Awesome thought!! Since if the person does not know ASL. or if both does not know ASL. Manipulative teaching is the basic ground of teaching.

It does not always mean a person is in a low level, or one is teaching it as such. Just mean they are learning at a basic understanding of how they can learn. By saying that...Teach them the easiest way they can learn.

That is for an adult. Aren't manipulatives only like abacus, and shapes?

That would be low level math wouldn't it?

If you are speaking of preschoolers. Yeah..

Manipulative are taught at several different levels..

Problem solving and algebra and etc... all have manipulative teaching.

Awesome thought!! Since if the person does not know ASL. or if both does not know ASL. Manipulative teaching is the basic ground of teaching.

It does not always mean a person is in a low level, or one is teaching it as such. Just mean they are learning at a basic understanding of how they can learn. By saying that...Teach them the easiest way they can learn.

But can you use it for anything above the basics?

Ignore my post above this as I missed this answer. :Oops:

It can even be used for calculus.

You can probably tell math is not my strong point. Since my main teacher was my father and he was very focused on English, it is pretty much all I know.

You can probably tell math is not my strong point. Since my main teacher was my father and he was very focused on English, it is pretty much all I know.

Its not my strong point, either. I just know about manipulatives from providing accommodations and talking to the professors in the math dept.:giggle:

Math IS my strong point, and I didn't even know..... (unless I suck even at my strong point, which is kind of depressing! :lol:)

Interesting! Would someone describe the lesson and the type/use of manipulatives for something like this:

-7X = Y = 20

-14x- 2y = 20

OR THIS

y = 3sinx - 4cosx

Thanks. :)

MathTutor - just curious... what level of math are you tutoring him?

Back