Advice for a Beginner Please

Azura

Reaction score
Hi AD!

I was just hoping for some advice. I’m a person of hearing just starting to learn ASL. My very sweet landlord is deaf and so are two of my clients and their dog (whom I work with!). Everyone is very patient with my learning and all are very encouraging with my progress. It was been a wonderful but slow process. I learn mostly online and from a few books that I have purchased.
I just wanted to have some advice on a few things. I know you should not assign yourself a sign name (I was informally given one by a hard of hearing deaf acquaintance years and years ago). But I was wondering if there are taboo signs or things considered rude to gesture or talk about. I was told that I should ask about someone’s deafness upfront (not that I would!) but is there anything else I should watch out for? Signs that look similar but have vastly different meanings if I sign it incorrectly. (it didn’t surprise me that hunger and wish have nearly identical signs).
Any tips would be appreciated. Much love =)

Um-

Hi, I'm a hearie...

Funny as I asked about deaf level when I was confronted years ago as we had HoH devices but nothing for deaf or ppl who can't ware headphones...

As a hearie I use manual for my name...

There are dirty/taboo signs so becareful your 'name' isn't dirty/taboo.

Unless you are spelling 'y' "Hang Loose Hawaii" is a bad move or unless you are counting ten things 'thumbs up' is a bad idea...

There is also a thread or too about annoying/rude things that ignorant ppl do.

Good Luck and Welcome.

Last edited:
Back