Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Schools for the Deaf

Animated

Reaction score
can you please help me out. is going to an online school a good or a bad idea? Is it better than the traditional? PLEASE REPLY. THANK YOU. GOD BLESS. :D

Well, going to an actual physical school benefits your social setting.

But online... well, basically you have more freedom and your social setting would be much more deprived of because of your indeterminable presence. Thus this is "isolated" environment.

However, if you are going to a school where interpreters or CART or whatever accommodation services they may provide are nonexistent, then online classes are your probably last resort.

I can't say much about this because I've only taken one class once. And it's somewhat a bit unmotivated, to be honest... I mean, why take online class when you have all information online ready and available for you? You know what I'm saying?

Of course online course varies to its benefits. I.e., homework challenges in which you won't find any information online, or beneficial to your knowledge if you do some researches. :hmm:

Overall, though, I find physical class environment to be much more beneficial. Just my opinion though.

If you study online, make sure the college is accrediated or it'll be pretty much worthless in the job market. Some disadvantages are that the interaction with the teacher and classmates may be hindered. I've personally opted for the classroom experience because I feel more connected with the class; I also enjoy being engaged in direct conversation with the teacher.

Laura

If you study online, make sure the college is accrediated or it'll be pretty much worthless in the job market. Some disadvantages are that the interaction with the teacher and classmates may be hindered. I've personally opted for the classroom experience because I feel more connected with the class; I also enjoy being engaged in direct conversation with the teacher.

Laura

Exactly. In classroom environment it would have been more direct "quick to answer" thought.

Online, though... the negative part is, teacher or students may have taken some time of thinking before responding to your questions or thoughts, effectively depriving you of your "analytical social senses" toward the ideas, or even toward certain teacher/students. Essentially a deterioration scheme.

In other words. Online tend to cause some arbitrary indirect thinking process that isn't so thrilling in the education process.

Or so I've found this to be the case throughout forum sites and others such as this AD forum... except for facebook perhaps I guess.

I'm will go to RIT/NTID, probably this fall. Moving out to Rochester, NY this spring or summer. It's a school for deaf and hard of hearing.

It's been very difficult getting the accommodation I need at regular schools in my state. And since I found out about NTID in 2011, and went to an open house Dec '12, I realized I just have to go and get my degree.

Since I grew up solitary oral deaf in hearing schools, this is a really big deal.

I'm will go to RIT/NTID, probably this fall. Moving out to Rochester, NY this spring or summer. It's a school for deaf and hard of hearing.

It's been very difficult getting the accommodation I need at regular schools in my state. And since I found out about NTID in 2011, and went to an open house Dec '12, I realized I just have to go and get my degree.

Since I grew up solitary oral deaf in hearing schools, this is a really big deal.

DeafBadger, OT but that's AWESOME!!!! SO excited and happy for you!

and I don't think there are any online schools specificly for the Deaf. There is one for the blind.

Back