advanced bionics t-mic ear hook

kalboy

Reaction score
My t-mic ear hook just died on me. It served me well for less than 110 days :(

I called advanced bionics customer support and found out that a new t-mic is $100 dollars. Ouch! I'm not even sure if my insurance will pay for it.

For those of you with CIs. How do you deal with your CI parts such as batteries, ear hooks, and chargers? Share your story!

My t-mic ear hook just died on me. It served me well for less than 110 days :(

I called advanced bionics customer support and found out that a new t-mic is $100 dollars. Ouch! I'm not even sure if my insurance will pay for it.

For those of you with CIs. How do you deal with your CI parts such as batteries, ear hooks, and chargers? Share your story!

I thought it is still covered under warranty?

Most of the time the t-mic is covered by insurance as it is part of the device. Contact the insurance department of Advanced Bionics (insurance@advancedbionics.com) and they may be able to help you with this.

I budget for the out of pocket additional cost not covered by my insurance company; kind of the same way I budget for oil changes in my car; or changing gasoline prices.

Kim

I'm sorry to say, but what the heck is a t-mic hook? Anyone has pictures? I've seen it online, but it looks a little strange to me, looks like SnugFit or BearHuggies (I used to wear those when I was a kid).

I have Freedom, so I have no clue what's t-mic. I assume that it's the Telecoil? Why would they have something separate for Telecoil? Suppose if you want to talk on the phone right away, or you're listening to your iPod then someone want to talk to you right away...it just seems a little work to do this. Kind of like easy flipping the switch to "T" on hearing aids...easy peasy. Is it the same for AB CIs? Humor me....:giggle:

I'm sorry to say, but what the heck is a t-mic hook? Anyone has pictures? I've seen it online, but it looks a little strange to me, looks like SnugFit or BearHuggies (I used to wear those when I was a kid).

I have Freedom, so I have no clue what's t-mic. I assume that it's the Telecoil? Why would they have something separate for Telecoil? Suppose if you want to talk on the phone right away, or you're listening to your iPod then someone want to talk to you right away...it just seems a little work to do this. Kind of like easy flipping the switch to "T" on hearing aids...easy peasy. Is it the same for AB CIs? Humor me....:giggle:

The only way I can describe it is - it reminds me of the ear hook that went from the ha to the ear mold. It is longer to pick up sound.

here is a good pic of it.

BionicEar.com - Harmony Cochlear Implant by Advanced Bionics

It pick up sound where it would normally enter your ear. We have a mic on the top rear too but with T-Mic we turn that top rear mic off and use T-Mic instead so we don't pick up sound behind us as well we can pick up sound in front of us.

T-Mic allow us to have more sound coming from the front instead of the rear like a regular hearing aids.

Back