Advanced Bionics returns to the US market

I am quite excited that AB is back on the market, as I am wanting the AB device for myself. I know of plenty of folks online who have been anxiously awaiting the return of the AB implant in the US and I'm excited for them.

Let's see how long it takes before another recall is in order. If we look at the history... I'd bet sometimes within 1.5-3 years.

if i had waited for AB, i wouldnt be hearing for almost 9 months. Good thing I went with Cochlear.

Does it seem that pfh's electronic devices don't have problem-just Cochlear Implants- is that reality?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Does it seem that pfh's electronic devices don't have problem-just Cochlear Implants- is that reality?

A problem with PFH's electronics don't require an explant.:cool2:

I understand Heart pacers have had troubles as well. What devices-doesn't?

Cardiac pacer implants and implantable defibrilators are necessary for life, so it is a risk that must be accepted if one wishes to continue to live. Can't say the same for the CI.:cool2:

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:

Cardiac pacer implants and implantable defibrilators are necessary for life, so it is a risk that must be accepted if one wishes to continue to live. Can't say the same for the CI.:cool2:

yeah, and if an implant fails no one dies. So pacemakers better have better reliability.

Wirelessly posted

yeah, and if an implant fails no one dies. So pacemakers better have better reliability.

If an implant fails, and one choses to be reimplanted, there is always the risk of death during surgery.

Perhaps the pacemakers have better reliability because the manufacturers are more deversified and not as profit hungry as the CI manufacturers. After all, when was the last time you saw a pacemaker advertisement?

If an implant fails, and one choses to be reimplanted, there is always the risk of death during surgery.

Perhaps the pacemakers have better reliability because the manufacturers are more deversified and not as profit hungry as the CI manufacturers. After all, when was the last time you saw a pacemaker advertisement?

Wait whaaaat? LOL RISK OF DEATH? Come on. Its risk of the implant working or not again, the risk of damaging the cochlea, not a stab to the brain.

or am i just not following this well ( i hope i am)

Wait whaaaat? LOL RISK OF DEATH? Come on. Its risk of the implant working or not again, the risk of damaging the cochlea, not a stab to the brain.

With EVERY surgery no matter how mild, there is always a risk of death. Always.

Death is always a risk anytime you are put under general anesthesia. Read those papers you sign before surgery.

okay.. obviously risk in surgeries, im pretty sure cochlear surgeries risk are very low. like... 1 in a million

okay.. obviously risk in surgeries, im pretty sure cochlear surgeries risk are very low. like... 1 in a million

Same risk for the anesthetic as for any other surgery. It is the being put unconscious and getting just a bit too much anesthetic that is the risk. It is the same for anything.

The other risks will vary with the individual. They will be dependent upon all kinds of things.

And risk of complication increases with each subsequent surgery one has...no matter the type. That is one of the reason doctors state that elective surgeries are so risky. The time comes that you need a surgery to save your life, but your cummulative risks are too high.

Wirelessly posted

But I suppose if it is a life-or-death situation that requires a pacemaker to begin with, they better have it. Not like it's optional at that point, regardless of whether it fails eventually or not. Not sure if I've ever seen a CI be a life-or-death situation.

Wirelessly posted

I disagree with your comment. Sorry. A person could die from any surgery no matter what.

When I got offered a job - it was because of the lady who got the job, after it whittled down to just the two of us being the ones to get it, died after a knee surgery.

So yes... Not a rare thing.

Back