Advanced bionics implant.

Dark-Half

Reaction score
I finally got to go talk to an audiologist about CIs and start my elevation. I just need a psych test and CT review then I can set a date for the surgery assuming the psych doesn't think I'm too loopy ;).

My audiologist presented me with nucleus first since it's most reliable and I had to actually request for AB demo. After much talk, questions and such she mentioned the reliablity and how AB had a recall for shorting out or something and told me it's my choice and to weigh the pro/cons. I'd like to know if AB had any recalls lately, does anyone know? I'm really leaning toward AB, but I might get nucleus solely cause I don't want to go through an op and wake up finding I have a faulty hunk of metal in my head.

I finally got to go talk to an audiologist about CIs and start my elevation. I just need a psych test and CT review then I can set a date for the surgery assuming the psych doesn't think I'm too loopy ;).

My audiologist presented me with nucleus first since it's most reliable and I had to actually request for AB demo. After much talk, questions and such she mentioned the reliablity and how AB had a recall for shorting out or something and told me it's my choice and to weigh the pro/cons. I'd like to know if AB had any recalls lately, does anyone know? I'm really leaning toward AB, but I might get nucleus solely cause I don't want to go through an op and wake up finding I have a faulty hunk of metal in my head.
the audiologist should dimiss the old recall which was several years ago(2004). It is irrelevant now. And there's no recalls since then.

the last recall was just that they recalled all those unimplanted (important keyword) device which was less than 500. They have ceased the contract with "Part B" supplier since AB get parts from two suppliers.

Part A has 99% Quality while Part B had 97% Quality so AB replaced Part B with other supplier and now is 99%. There is never 100& :D Cochlear Corp can't achieve 100% either.

here's something I can share with you;

=============
CI Choices
Introduction

Are you having difficulty deciding on a cochlear implant manufacturer,
even though you've investigated your options thoroughly?

Have you obtained all the information you need about each company, but
just can't seem to balance the pros and cons?

If so, this step-by-step program may help you make your decision.
There are only four steps that you will need to complete.

You should be familiar with each company's product specifications. You
can reference each company's product manual, or look at a summary cheat
sheet which is here. A brief explanation of some of the words used is here.

http://dus28.grange.psu.edu/CIChoices/choices.aspx

Last updated March 26, 2007

Reviewed by representatives of Advanced Bionics, Cochlear Corp and
MED-EL.

===========

when you click the link, click the link for "summary cheat sheet" and look for "Reliability"

I am still planning on going bi-lateral so I still am going with AB because I want Harmony so I will be getting the HiRes 90K Helix this time my current implant is CII HiFocus 1 without Positioner (I wished I had positioner but that was taken off the market back in 2002 due to meningitis, you can find out abou that on FDA's CDRH site.)

see the clinic eval at: Entrez PubMed

my current implant is this;
clarionbionicear.jpg

If you are curious to read the package insert for the HiRes 90K Helix implant here's link to the PDF;
http://www.bionicear.com/printables/HiRes90K.HelixPkgInsert.pdf

I found the FDA Maude Database website quite informative about recalls and malfunctions with cochlear implant.
Maude Database

I can't help but lean towards AB. The functions seems to fit my lifestyle. My cochlear implant evaluation will be conducted on the 26th.

here's something I can share with you;

http://dus28.grange.psu.edu/CIChoices/choices.aspx

Last updated March 26, 2007

Reviewed by representatives of Advanced Bionics, Cochlear Corp and
MED-EL.

===========

when you click the link, click the link for "summary cheat sheet" and look for "Reliability"[/QUOTE]

Thank you for this link!

Reliability-wise, these are all EQUALLY good. It is fair to say that AB had a recall particularly with the electrode positioner and had to take it off due to FDA enforcement. i don't really know if AD is developing technologies on a electrode. Cochlear Corp had made several improvements to the electrode itself. Curvature which sits naturally to the nerves and a soft tip which minimize damage to the cochlea shell.

I have CI-24 Contour implant(non-freedom implant) with Freedom processor and its awesome.

Cochlear or AB. whatever you like, go for it.

Back