Adobe Buys Macromedia for $3.4 Billion

sequoias said:
$3.4 billion is simply way too much money to have, I would donate the excessive money to good non profit organizations and such things.

yep. i wud donate to some non profit organizations like Access Fund and others that relate to land perservations.

Magatsu said:
Back to this topic, frankly, I was surprised that Adobe bought Macromedia... Flash is my favorite program, I hope that Adobe will not mess it up.

me too. they better not mess Flash and Dreamweaver.

To make a correction here - it was not a merge it was an acquisition. In my opinion this ends all the debates on who the best company was between Adobe and Macromedia.

I believe Adobe purchased Macromedia to avoid Microsoft from doing it. There will be many more purchases as well as merges to come.

For the future I predict:

Adobe will take advantage of their newely owned ColdFusion, which I also predict they will used in future development of a Content management system stemmed off of some of Contributes technology. ColdFusion will open many doors for Adobe!!

Dreamweaver - Bye Bye - Trashed for all its bloated code that it renders. Adobe GoLive (while not the most popular to the general public) actually generates much lighter code which is also optimized for better cross platform compatibility.

Fireworks can be kissed good bye!

If we remember back several years when Adobe sued Macromedia for copying Adobe's GUI - specifically the tabs. Adobe lost - so they just purchased Macromedia and put an end to it. ha!

Adobe is software is not designed for the average user. Macromedia won its popularity because it was more for everyone. Adobe may take advantage of that strategy and release products for the everyday Joe. That will be nice for increasing their user base.

My 2 cents ;)

I don't think Adobe will trash Macromedia Dreamweaver. After Flash, Dreamweaver is the 2nd biggest money earner for Macromedia. In fact one of the reasons why Adobe bought Macromedia is because of the Dreamweaver. If you are into web standards and web accessibility, which is gaining tremendous popularity nowadays thanks to Google, Dreamweaver strictly follows web standards and cross platform and even cross-devices such as TV, PDA, cell phones, etc.

Did you know that MS FrontPage is already on a bye bye stage? In fact this biggest rival of Dreamweaver will not be included in the MS Office 2007 edition? Microsoft has recently launched a preview release of MS Expression Web Designer that is an exact copycat of Dreamweaver.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/en/web_designer/default.mspx

MTIV said:
To make a correction here - it was not a merge it was an acquisition. In my opinion this ends all the debates on who the best company was between Adobe and Macromedia.

I believe Adobe purchased Macromedia to avoid Microsoft from doing it. There will be many more purchases as well as merges to come.

For the future I predict:

Adobe will take advantage of their newely owned ColdFusion, which I also predict they will used in future development of a Content management system stemmed off of some of Contributes technology. ColdFusion will open many doors for Adobe!!

Dreamweaver - Bye Bye - Trashed for all its bloated code that it renders. Adobe GoLive (while not the most popular to the general public) actually generates much lighter code which is also optimized for better cross platform compatibility.

Fireworks can be kissed good bye!

If we remember back several years when Adobe sued Macromedia for copying Adobe's GUI - specifically the tabs. Adobe lost - so they just purchased Macromedia and put an end to it. ha!

Adobe is software is not designed for the average user. Macromedia won its popularity because it was more for everyone. Adobe may take advantage of that strategy and release products for the everyday Joe. That will be nice for increasing their user base.

My 2 cents ;)

Back