Adjustment to late onset deafness

I don't hear myself when I speak, but I can still catch myself mispronouncing things because I have experience being able to hear and speaking correctly for a substantial percentage of my life. I recognise when I skip sounds that I haven't heard for the longest. For example, I notice that I say, "Hood we hake a huddle?" instead of "Should we take a shuttle?" I don't hear it, but I notice it because I realise that my mouth has made no effort to make those particular sounds. I don't think this is rooted in a neurological condition. I think it's merely caused by a lack of behavioural reinforcement in the form of repeated exposure to the sounds of these words being pronounced properly relative to our awareness of and ability to reproduce those sounds.

:hmm: Forgive me if my sleep deprivation is evident in my post. :giggle:

That is a great example of what I'm trying to say. Thank you.:ty:

I can hear myself to a certain extent but best way for me to describe is by saying "feel". I can "feel" myself mispronouncing sounds. It can get very frustrating,I will attempt to say the sounds correctly until I get them right. It's almost like a roar in my voice that interrupts certain sounds. ARRRR! That's not right,but I don't have a better way to describe it. Poo!

Makes perfect sense to me. Even though I can hear myself, I can also feel how my tongue touches the roof of my mouth, and in a very noisy situation where I can't hear myself, I can still feel how my tongue rolled off the roof of my mouth and can tell from that if I said a word right or wrong.

I wouldn't say clearly.....but yeah I can hear myself enough to tell.....What I can't tell is how loudly I am speaking. I feel like I am yelling and people say I am whispering. When my hearing first started going sometimes I could ONLY hear myself...nothing else.

Not to be too graphic but that was especially true after activities like lifting weights,doing push ups and having "relations"

Interesting. I have damaged auditory nerves and I can't understand speech.

But the thing that happened to me to make my speech more incomprehensible to others is a damaged facial nerve on the left side. Besides contributing to my unique good looks, it affects my lip and tongue on the left side.

Hence my suggestion that if she hears her own mispronunciations, she should , in my opinion, see a doctor.

I have recently seen a neurologist regarding this issue of mispronouncing words or "forgetting" how letter combinations sound. I was told that it was a normal problem in people who lose their hearing later in life. Not just adults, but also children. He said that even though I had some hearing for my 43 years that I did, it will slowly slack off and become more of a problem. He ran all kinds of tests, and I have no neurological problems or dysfunctions.

I have recently seen a neurologist regarding this issue of mispronouncing words or "forgetting" how letter combinations sound. I was told that it was a normal problem in people who lose their hearing later in life. Not just adults, but also children. He said that even though I had some hearing for my 43 years that I did, it will slowly slack off and become more of a problem. He ran all kinds of tests, and I have no neurological problems or dysfunctions.

Right, but you can't hear your speech. The person I suggested a doctor to, could actually hear her mispronunciations.

Therefore, deafness is not causing that for her.

Right, but you can't hear your speech. The person I suggested a doctor to, could actually hear her mispronunciations.

True - sorry for being brainless this morning.

If that person is ceelynncee, I think she "catches" herself not by hearing, but by noticing her motor movements in her mouth as she speaks, the feeling of how the air flows through the oral architecture, and noticing that her speech movements feel like they're becoming lazy due to a lack of auditory confirmation, not in spite of it. Technically, all these changes do take place in the brain, but I think in this case it's a direct result of her inability to hear her own speech. At least that's what I noticed in myself.

Interesting. I have damaged auditory nerves and I can't understand speech.

But the thing that happened to me to make my speech more incomprehensible to others is a damaged facial nerve on the left side. Besides contributing to my unique good looks, it affects my lip and tongue on the left side.

Hence my suggestion that if she hears her own mispronunciations, she should , in my opinion, see a doctor.

Oh.....I may have come off the wrong way.....When you said that, I was asking for selfish reasons......Was wondering if my Dr's missed something.

I agree she should see a Dr

Last edited:
Oh.....I may have come off the wrong way.....When you said that I was asking for selfish reasons......Was wondering if my Dr's missed something.

I agree she shouls see a Dr

What????? :shock: I never said you asked for selfish reasons!!!!

I am a nice person, and I don't know who said that.

Oh.....I may have come off the wrong way.....When you said that, I was asking for selfish reasons......Was wondering if my Dr's missed something.

I agree she shouls see a Dr

I think TXgolfer's post is missing some punctuation Botti. I may be wrong, but that's how I read it.

:lol: I know you are nice.....I was trying to clarify that when you made your comment to the other poster I became curious about my own situation.

I am saying that I asked for selfish reasons:lol:

I think TXgolfer's post is missing some punctuation Botti. I may be wrong, but that's how I read it.

:lol: I know you are nice.....I was trying to clarify that when you made your comment to the other poster I became curious about my own situation.

I am saying that I asked for selfish reasons:lol:

D'oh good eye.....that is what happened. I should have proof read.

Thanks Kristina! I told you you were smart! (Now I better go work on my reading skills. ) :lol:

TXGolfer, I am glad to know you didn't think I was being rude. :)

ceelynncee, I can relate to being afraid. I was afraid, too. You need support. What has helped me is going to our local deaf church's deaf center. I'm learning ASL and it's made me more confident. Making family members understand what's going on with me has helped, too. I'm glad that you're here so that you can find support online. I hope that you find more support in real life, too. You don't have to become more and more isolated.

Hi everyone! I was very excited to see this thread. I became hard of hearing at age 15 from meningitis. I continued at my hearing high school with no services to help me and struggled a lot. My senior year I went to home schooling because I could not handle the lack of communication. After high school I started at a local community college and saw that they offered asl classes. I enrolled in asl and fell in love with the language, it was and is so much easier for me to sign than try and lipread. I took asl 1-3 and then had to wait 2 years before they offered asl 4. I completed that class just over a year ago and am moving to northridge, ca to Tend CSUN in the fall. I struggled a lot at first with not understanding people around me, and feeling isolated from friends and family. Although my parents do not accept my hearing loss, I have and am so glad that I am no longer alone in my own world. The deaf community has embraced me, helped me learn the culture, and now I am a deaf studies major, and plan to get my teaching credentials and hopefully work at a school for the deaf!

Hi everyone! I was very excited to see this thread. I became hard of hearing at age 15 from meningitis. I continued at my hearing high school with no services to help me and struggled a lot. My senior year I went to home schooling because I could not handle the lack of communication. After high school I started at a local community college and saw that they offered asl classes. I enrolled in asl and fell in love with the language, it was and is so much easier for me to sign than try and lipread. I took asl 1-3 and then had to wait 2 years before they offered asl 4. I completed that class just over a year ago and am moving to northridge, ca to Tend CSUN in the fall. I struggled a lot at first with not understanding people around me, and feeling isolated from friends and family. Although my parents do not accept my hearing loss, I have and am so glad that I am no longer alone in my own world. The deaf community has embraced me, helped me learn the culture, and now I am a deaf studies major, and plan to get my teaching credentials and hopefully work at a school for the deaf!

Congratulations and may you have much success while in school. It's great to hear such an awesome story. You have made my day today!!

what?

I am almost fifty-one years old.

When I was a child, my uncle taught me fingerspelling and some rudimentary signs. (I grew-up hearing.) As most children are, I was entranced with the notion of learning a "secret" language...

Fast-forward...I worked hard to master ASL, PSE, ESE to where I was an instructor for community sign classes, I interpreted for several hours a day while going to college, sign-language club in the afternoons and evenings, signing all day long such that my hands would curl and cramp violently in the evening. If I worked on a paper after a long day, I had to proof-read it the next day b/c I was "thinking in sign" when I wrote it, dropping articles, pronouns, tenses, etc.

I left the deaf community when I moved to California in 1994 and haven't signed since. Starting almost two years ago, I began to have balance problems and went to my doctor. She ordered an audiogram and I took that and was told that, yup, you have hearing loss - you need to go buy HAs. (Insurance doesn't cover - costs of same threaten cardiac health.)

As an illustration about how I didn't realize how I didn't have a hearing loss, or it's impact, my step-daughter comes home with my wife -- I was watching the baby who was about 2 mos old at the time -- and they start yelling at me: can't you hear her crying? (The baby was in the next room, about 20' away, no closed doors between us.) I couldn't. From that day forward, I couldn't watch her b/c I couldn't accept the risk of not being able to hear if something bad happened.

During all of this, I was unemployed but after several months, got work and enrolled in the gov't pre-tax medical spending plan. I put myself down for the max amount and when I got my "credit card", I made an appt with an audiologist.

The Dr. gave me a new audiogram and I learned that me right ear is pretty much profound in several freqs ... coupled with the tinnitus, it's very difficult to hear anything in that ear. My left is only profound in a couple freqs and is clearly in better shape. (When I sleep on my left side, nothing wakes me.)

Doc told me I'd eventually lose all my hearing and fitted me with two bte HAs. When he first put them in, he warned me that the configs were out-of-the-box and not tuned to me. I shushed him because I could hear something out of my left side that was weird. He started to speak and, again, I shushed him (which left him quite nonplussed - I don't think in our culture, doctors are used to getting shushed...)

I looked out the window to my left and, as we were on the 3rd floor, I could see the fronds of a palm tree blowing in the rain storm. I was hearing the sound the wind made through the fronds. I was hearing the rain. I realized in that moment that I couldn't remember the last time I had heard rain. (My wife always comes in and tells me when it's raining.) Omg - I was hearing the rain! I looked back at the Doc and I was struggling not to cry. He was pretty decent about it and just smiled and gave me a moment to collect.

My HAs were tuned and we left and drove all-day back to San Jose. I was amazed at all the things I could hear. Luckily, it rained all the way back!

Seven months later, I'm a lot more sensitive to the limitations of the HA's and to the changes in my hearing. With them in, I can hear the beep-beep signals in my left ear, but I can barely hear the tones in my right. If I'm in a meeting at work, and there's "stuff" happening, like the air-conditioner is blasting in the building (open area), more than one person is talking, car's driving by the building, etc., then forget hearing anything. I hate not getting the joke in team meetings, everyone's laughing and they look at me to share, and I'm just like: what? Argh.

People here are really cool about it, for the most part and my boss is really supportive. A couple times, he forgets and talks to me when his back is turned and I just hear charley-brown's-mom noise. He's happy to repeat himself when I ask, tho, so, yay!

Folks at work scare the bejeesus outta me when then approach my desk (I sit in a cube, facing the corner) and I can't hear them coming. That's quite the party for some of them, seeing how high I can jump.

I think I put them off when I 1:1 with them because I stare so hard at them, trying to hear everything, trying to understand. I imagine that, were our situation reversed, it would be an intensive, draining experience.

I want to re-immerse myself back into the deaf culture - and pick-up my sign-language skills but I don't know anyone here in Cali. I'd be starting over from scratch (which is ok). There's part of me that thinks I don't/shouldn't go back to the deaf community - that's like "suck it up - you can still hear!" and there's the other part of me that's still blaming everything else except my hearing. "This headphone is going out - I can't hear my music as well as I could last month on it." It's like having a foot in each world but not belonging in either.

My wife finally told me that I've been keeping the sound on my computer "godawful loud" but she's not said anything about it because she doesn't want to exacerbate the problem.

My grandbaby constantly mumbles (to me) and I can't understand when she comes and asks me for stuff. She's only three - she doen't understand that Paw-paw lost his hearing - she's adorable in that she's willing to help me go look for it tho.

I'm way more sensitive to non-verbals and looks I get from others, especially at work. I spend more time thinking I'm in trouble, or that I'm screwing-up somehow.

At the end of a long day, when I get home, I just want to take out my HAs and relax -- my ears are physically sore after wearing them for 14 hours or so -- and when my wife talks to me and doesn't face me, or is in another room, or walks out of the room talking, I don't even try to understand or capture what she was talking about because I'm just (mentally) exhausted from another day of struggling to keep-up.

When I first discovered this site, it's because I was looking for a #deaf irc chat -- old dog, old solutions...I read hundreds of posts before deciding that I needed to sign-up. Even if I never post again, myself, the act of posting is therapeutical.

I'm not looking for answers, or even commiseration. I think I'm "preaching to the choir" in that everyone here understands what's happening to me and mine. I just think that "it is what it is" and I just have to deal.

I'll be attentive to your advice and thoughts. You already have my respects.

Thanks for listening.

--mike

(ps: my nom-de-guerre is my gaming handle.)

Hello there Mike, I think all the late deafened seem to be on a vacation at the moment, and also our psychologist who runs this thread.

So I will tell you welcome and hope you enjoy your time here.

(and I am sure they will be back soon) :)

hey wyntr ..i'm not sure how often ppl come in this thread as much anymore but you should definitely post in the intro section! what kind of hearing aids are you wearing right now?

Back